Like shoes, handgun sights are a very personal choice and there is nothing out there that is the best for everyone.

Over the years I've used a lot of different handgun sights. My carry guns have always had night sights of one variety or another and always will. Most standard night sights are good at night, but I find them to be just okay during the daylight.

As my once perfect see-close vision has slightly deteriorated I started using brighter sights. I love the Truglo TFO sights and have them on all my Glocks. They are good during the day as well as good at night. The Trijicon HDs are excellent with the large front orange dot for day or night. But they have very annoying sharp edges on the rear that is simply inexcusable. The fiber optic sights on several of my handguns are also excellent. I find the luminescent sights on a couple of my handguns are great for daylight shooting, when most of us do the majority of our shooting. But I don't use them on my carry guns since they are not good at night.

I do not agree that "there's a growing consensus" that there should be a plain black rear sight and a bright front sight. But, if one like that setup then one should choose and use it.

I also do not think a three dot sight is "busy" in any way. It's probably the most common factory sight so a lot of people are using it. But if others don't like it then they should use something else. It's all just personal choice. The TFOs on one of my Glocks with a yellow front dot and green rear dots is really hard to beat for an all-round sight for me. Good in daylight and great at night.

Thankfully, we are fortunate to have a wealth of choices in handgun sights. Choices are always good.