Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5...so far

Feedback Score

Glock 17 Gen 5...so far

When a new handgun (or variant thereof) is introduced, I'm one of those guys that waits a while to see if any unforeseen hiccups pop up. So far the G17 Gen 5 seems to be performing well. Does the older polygonal-style rifling have the potential for a longer service life than the new Marksman type?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Cant answer for the 17, but I do have a Gen 5 19. No issues, really shoots well and fits my hand better than the previous Gens. I carry a Gen 4 21 at work and will be switching to a Gen 5 17 next year.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Only thing I've heard about Gen 5s is some flaking off of the trigger bar finish for some.

Still hanging with my G19.4s for the time being though.

Feedback Score
    I don't have a gen 5 17, but my gen 5 19 and 19X have been 100% reliable so far. I have about 2k rounds thru each.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shot my son-in-laws gen 5 g19 yesterday. He bought it used with approximately 500 through it. Supposedly, the only thing the previous owner did was put I-Dot sights on it. The smaller grip is definitely noticably smaller and the trigger was awesome. Awesome like cz p10, vp9, etc. If this is what the new gen 5's are designed they should sell a lot of them.

I forgot to add that I was able to easily shoot clover leafs from 4-5 yrds away.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's doubtful anyone is going to shoot the rifling out of either, at that point you're into it so deep in ammo costs a new barrel is irrelevant. I have a new Gen 5 17 and I have to say it's pretty stellar out of the box. Other than sights I don't think I'm going do anything to it, compared to my Gen 4 19's that are all hacked up.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The only gripe I have with my Gen5 19 so far is the cutout on the magwell...yes, I know there's an aftermarket floorplate that solves this, but I hate dealing with floorplates on Glock mags.

Feedback Score
    I couldnt overcome the ambidextrous slide stop issue that I was having. I shoot with a very high thumb forward grip am I support hand palm would inadvertently pushed the slide stop up under recoil causing the slide to consistently log back on a partially full magazine.
    Sold the Gen5 and went back to my Gen 4's

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I have a gen 5 17 and a 19x and I ended up liking the 19x just a tad more. Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I have a gen 5 17 and a 19x and I ended up liking the 19x just a tad more. Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.
    I really like the 19x. I CCW it appendix and the 19 slide is idea for me when bending, squatting, etc. Having xl hands I love the fill size grip. Thing shoots well too! Front serrations would be awesome. But doesn't bother me. Thinking of ditching a older 19 I have for another 19x.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast