Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 Gen 5...so far

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    ...... and the trigger was awesome. Awesome like cz p10, vp9, etc. If this is what the new gen 5's are designed they should sell a lot of them.
    Its funny that you liked it, because I tried my neighbors gen 5 (very new) and compared to my (very not new) gen 3, i felt like the 3 had the better trigger. I hate the roll before the break that the new plunger has. I prefer my triggers to come to a complete stop at the wall, and then any movement after the wall is a break. If I could put a SSA in a glock I would.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The gen 5 17 is nice. Wanted a 19 until I held it. Didn't like it. Ended up going with the 19x and no regrets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That gen5 trigger definitely had a better pull and break than my factory gen2 g19 and duty gen3 g22. It's a winner for those of us who don't/ can't go outside of the factory for our triggers.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    ...Honestly my only gripe is no forward serrations, other than that I think Glock knocked it out of the park with the gen 5’s.
    Pretty much where I stand on it. All that said, I my Glocks are all Gen 3 & 4. The Gen 5s that I have shot were great, though. Front slide serrations would have been enough for me to get one, sight unseen.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Am I the only one that does not care for fcs? Not on a glock, 1911, or CZ. I don't use them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I love the Gen5, I am not a huge fan of the mag well cut out on the 19, but it’s not a dealbreaker either. It’s something you notice gripping and farting around with the gun but notice much less so when shooting. For most people, the cut out on the 17 is a non issue. Notice there is a serious lack of “brass to the face”Glock threads? It seems Glock has fixed this with the Gen5 Glock, extractor geometry was one change noted early on but glossed over by many, IMO one of the more important “upgrades” Glock made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I love the Gen5, I am not a huge fan of the mag well cut out on the 19, but it’s not a dealbreaker either. It’s something you notice gripping and farting around with the gun but notice much less so when shooting.
    To me, anyone that shits on the cut outs doesn't shoot with standards for time, accuracy, movement, multiple targets, etc. Much less sims, with rounds incoming. Much less on a legit two-way range. Personally, one of the historic problems with the Gen4 Glocks is stripping the magazine during a mag change, especially with gloves on. The Gen3s with Vickers parts are the best I've dealt with in this regard. The Gen4 Vickers release isn't proud of the frame in the same way the Gen3 is. I still have to reach up and strip the magazine with either platform, but have the most fumbles with the Gen4s. That cut out makes stripping the magazine EXTREMELY reliable. And! And! The Gen5 standard magazine has a slightly extended floorplate. Were I buying a new Glock any time soon, I'd be getting a Gen5 and loving life.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    To me, anyone that shits on the cut outs doesn't shoot with standards for time, accuracy, movement, multiple targets, etc. Much less sims, with rounds incoming. Much less on a legit two-way range. Personally, one of the historic problems with the Gen4 Glocks is stripping the magazine during a mag change, especially with gloves on. The Gen3s with Vickers parts are the best I've dealt with in this regard. The Gen4 Vickers release isn't proud of the frame in the same way the Gen3 is. I still have to reach up and strip the magazine with either platform, but have the most fumbles with the Gen4s. That cut out makes stripping the magazine EXTREMELY reliable. And! And! The Gen5 standard magazine has a slightly extended floorplate. Were I buying a new Glock any time soon, I'd be getting a Gen5 and loving life.
    Say what?

Gloves impeding the magazine from dropping is an equipment issue that should not be solved via an irritation point for people that dont shoot with gloves.

Maybe 1% of the Glock buying population shoots with gloves.

99% of road patrol Law Enforcement officers dont walk around with gloves on all the time.

99% of civilians, unless you're a LARPing fool, dont shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT and specialized units shoot with gloves on.

99% of SWAT teams and specialized units are NOT using g19's with that awful, irritating cutout. For the .5's I get the existence of the cutout due to the magazine flare. However, I still maintain that for the 19.5 it was a bad design choice as it is a huge point of irritation and hardly necessary. My work gun is a gen 4 17 with no cutout and I have zero issues with mags sticking in the gun. Additionally, the Agency sim guns are gen 3's with no cutouts and when a magazine stuck, I cleared it from the firearm like i always do by grabbing the baseplate.

Stripping magazines pre gen 5 and pre cut out was and is EXTREMELY easy. The base plate on a Glock is quite thick and quite easy to get a hold of should you NEED to forcibly remove it. I dont understand your cool guy post...at all. Can you share a little bit of your background and why you think magazines MUST be stripped on all reloads during FOF, sims, and the "two way range"? Additionally, if you shoot for time or standards, stripping magazines is always slower so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe stop wearing gloves?

I dont get your post, at all. Denigrating people that dont like the cutout by saying they have no experience is just stupid.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    ...Stripping magazines pre gen 5 and pre cut out was and is EXTREMELY easy. The base plate on a Glock is quite thick and quite easy to get a hold of should you NEED to forcibly remove it. I dont understand your cool guy post...at all. Can you share a little bit of your background and why you think magazines MUST be stripped on all reloads during FOF, sims, and the "two way range"? Additionally, if you shoot for time or standards, stripping magazines is always slower so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe stop wearing gloves?

I dont get your post, at all. Denigrating people that dont like the cutout by saying they have no experience is just stupid.
    The point of the post was not specific to the cut-outs, though the cut-outs were the catalyst. To think that the OEM glock got it right, especially with gloves on, is to miss the boat on the Vickers stuff. It is night and day, running the gun with an extended mag release, extended slide stop, extended baseplates.

I, personally, have a really hard time indexing the magazine release on the OEM glocks. My grip is choked up pretty damn high on the frame, and to hit the release, I have to readjust the whole grip. Maybe my fingers aren't long enough (XL glove, tho)? The problem is made worse with gloves, and if you know you are going into a fight, gloves are a pretty big deal. I put them on whenever I am en route to a hot call and I have belief that I'll be putting my hands on someone, maybe needing to strip my shooting iron and get after it, or have to climb over some shitass fence in the bad part of town...

As far as why these kinds of improvements would come off as 'necessary' for me, or for any shooter that takes their craft seriously, is that the reload is definitely a place where we all lose time. Given the above stated issues with indexing the magazine release, I often have trouble getting the mag to drop free, especially when my focus is on a target or on time, rather than on specifically on my gun. When I rip the mag, I get it every time, the first time.

So, I'll take whatever advantages that I can get toward that end: grip cut outs, extended base plates, extended magazine releases, etc.

If the grip cuts don't fit you, they don't fit you. That is a legit gripe. But they are there for a reason. Maybe it isn't a reason that comes up with your particular hands... But, again, the OEM Glock really came into its own for me with the Vickers stuff, and the Gen5s are adapting much of those improvements as standard issue.

Finally, when it comes to denigrating people as 'non-shooters', the tone, while very brusque, addresses the fact that standing at the 7-yard line and carefully plinking won't really show you whether or not you need any adjuncts for stripping the magazine. I guarantee you that a shooter with external pressures of time, distance, accuracy standards, movement, and the possibility of incoming fire is going to discover all kinds of shit about themselves as a shooter, and their chosen platform, that would otherwise elude the average plinker. And, for me, that has shown me that stripping mags is definitely a place that I needed to address. My issue side arm is a Gen 2 with the cut outs, a worn out magazine release, and we are prohibited from modifying our weapons (as most any armed professional). Thankfully, the cut outs are there (and they don't bother my hands, even without gloves... Glock-Knuckle, on the other hand...) and I can rip the magazine.

If you don't need them, you don't need them. It sounds like you have done plenty of work to figure out what you do and don't need. I'd love to have a Gen4 Glock 17 as my work gun instead of a tired ass Gen 2 Glock 22 with a New York trigger... But, I digress. I guess my comments weren't targeting you, and definitely could have been worded more politely.

I honestly don't feel the grip of my handgun after a set of sprints, shooting for time.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 06-16-18 at 17:57. Reason: real recognize real, grammar / usage

Feedback Score
    I sold my Gen 5 17 not because it was a bad gun (it wasn't), but I just like the shorter grip of the 19 more. It just fits my hand better. My gen 5 19 has been awesome. Like others have said I'd prefer no mag cutout but its a minor gripe and gets more attention than it should. The trigger feels lighter and crisper to me as well. As for the front serrations-see if you can pick up one of those gen 4 summer specials from last year because they're pretty sweet. The Gen 5 design should have incorporated those too in my opinion but oh well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast