Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immigration agents arrest 114 in sting at Ohio landscaper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also at some point in the topsy turvy numbers of who is working with you, do you want to be the only non management gringo on the shift?

I worked construction in Chicago in the 70s as a cement laborer. I was union and made a great wage and paid union dues. You had to be a Citizen to get a union card.
    If you didn't have a card, a guy who looked like "Big Pussy" from the Sopranos would put an arm around your shoulder and walk with you to the edge of the 14th floor and "have a talk with you."
    You generally quit or joined the union.

As jacked up as that is, it might be better than ileagle immigration, stolen identities, our schools being overcrowded, Ears being abused etc. etc.
    People worked, paid taxes and were generally on a safe work environment aside from Big Pussy anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As hard as it is for me to believe it (mainly because I really, really don’t WANT to) illegal immigration and our refusal to actually do anything about it may be a good indicator of our depravity, it’s pretty telling.

My WWII vet dad joined the Border Patrol in 1940. As a newborn I came home from the hospital in a Border Patrol car...a harbinger of my future, I guess.

If my father could see where we are now, he’d give me that dreaded glare of doom and ask, “ARE YOU PEOPLE NUTS?”

And, as usual, he’d be right.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't totally agree with that sentiment. I think a lot of folks just don't want to work that hard.

As an example, one of the cooks for the cafeteria services provider at my former employer, got a job at one of our local salt mines. Nearly double the pay. He did orientation, and quite the second day. They had him, the new guy, schlepping 40 pound bags of water softener salt off a conveyor onto pallets. His words as he reclaimed his old job 'I ain't going to work that hard.'

Another example - my sons both work at a paper mill,one of the best paying 'non-technical' entry level job in our area. Problem is - it's a paper mill - humid year round, 100+ by the machines. Entry level guys spend a lot of time scooping hot steaming paper(ish) out of the 'hole' when the machines screw up. Despite it being one of the best paying jobs in the area, my son's tell me only about a third of the new hires stick with it. Simply too hard.

So in reality, while I do believe that a number of folks do set at home on the dole, even more don't take the concrete or general construction work simply because they don't want to work that hard. They stick with a less physically demanding lower paying Mcjob rather than do hard physical work.

Truth is, in reality both of us are probably over simplifying.
    Pretty much. I dont mind illegals who come here to work hard and take the jobs no one wants to do. Its the criminals and the social welfare leeches I have a problem with.

This sting is bullshit Id rather hear they arrested 114 illegals with criminal records instead of going for the ones that arent causing any problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pretty much. I dont mind illegals who come here to work hard and take the jobs no one wants to do. Its the criminals and the social welfare leeches I have a problem with.

This sting is bullshit Id rather hear they arrested 114 illegals with criminal records instead of going for the ones that arent causing any problems.

Yah except there is now some 84 million immigrants and their children living here or 27% of the total population. At some point how much cheap labor do we need or is this just a push by Democrats to gain voters and swell welfare rolls?

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Well they are all by definition criminals, but I get your drift.

Right now the incentives for those fleeing third world shitholes is too great. Build a 1000’ wall and they will continue to scale it, just as people risked getting shot at best or being raped and tortured by the communists while trying to flee Eastern Europe.

We need to stop the incentives. When the jobs dry up cause no employer wants to run the risk of hiring an illegal. When the schools refuse to serve kids. When the hospitals are able to refuse services... the illegal tide will slow. When the free shit army has no free shit they will carry salt bags or starve. Then we can set up a better system for allowing those who want to work to come here. Till then we are pissing in the wind.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ready the catapults!

And tell that 30 yr. old basement-dwelling, pajama-boy, in New Yawk, that we HAVE a JOB for him...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Well they are all by definition criminals, but I get your drift.

Right now the incentives for those fleeing third world shitholes is too great. Build a 1000’ wall and they will continue to scale it, just as people risked getting shot at best or being raped and tortured by the communists while trying to flee Eastern Europe.

We need to stop the incentives. When the jobs dry up cause no employer wants to run the risk of hiring an illegal. When the schools refuse to serve kids. When the hospitals are able to refuse services... the illegal tide will slow. When the free shit army has no free shit they will carry salt bags or starve. Then we can set up a better system for allowing those who want to work to come here. Till then we are pissing in the wind.
    Too many incentives is a problem for both illegals and generational welfare citizens. I think we need to lower incentives in general and actually reward the hardworking ones illegal or not.

I envision something like this so we caught you an illegal working at a landscaping company, no criminal record, minimal use of welfare and emergency services, we'll hand you a visa and put you in the queue for citizenship so you can keep working and so we can track you since you actually contribute to society.

So, we caught you an illegal driving without a licence. No work history that anyone can vouch for, a misdemonor on your record, using welfare services, congrats you earned a 1 way ticket back to whatever shithole you came from.

I think the assumption that people are coming here based on the incentives isnt the whole story, personally I think people will come here with or without incentives. Why, because its still America and people will always want to move to the better country and the shittier their home country the more they'll want to come over here. We're America, thats the real incentive.

Totally agree you, no wall is going to stop the tide if people are desperate enough. Look at Europe, they have the whole Mediterranean to stop illegals. People will hop in half sinking rowing boats to get away from their failing countries. We cant go in and fix their countries so there has to be another way.

How else do we get them on our side? We have to show them another way, instead of being used by Democrats who will keep them on generational welfare in exchange for votes.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-06-18 at 21:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Yah except there is now some 84 million immigrants and their children living here or 27% of the total population. At some point how much cheap labor do we need or is this just a push by Democrats to gain voters and swell welfare rolls?

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states
    Man, I know in your viewpoint, but here are some relevant numbers:

What is the immigrant population in the United States?

Legal and Illegal Combined - Immigrants comprise about 14 percent of the U.S. population: more than forty-three million out of a total of about 323 million people[/B], according to Census Bureau data.

Legal and Illegal Combined - Together, immigrants and their U.S.-born children make up about 27 percent of U.S. inhabitants.

]Illegal Immigrants - The undocumented population is about eleven million and has leveled off since the 2008 economic crisis.

Legal immigrants and their children make up approximately 22.4% of the population. ***

Illegal Immigrants - More than half of the undocumented have lived in the country for more than a decade; nearly one third are the parents of U.S.-born children.

Illegal immigrants make up roughly 3.5% of the U.S. population. ***

Children of illegal immigrants make up at least 1.1% of the U. S. population (the so called anchor babies). ***

Total minimum population of illegals and their children 4.6% (roughly 1 in 20).***

Children of immigrants, legal and illegal combined, make up approximately 13% of the U.S. population, roughly 42 million. ***

The figures represents a steady rise from 1970, when there were fewer than ten million immigrants in the United States.

Enforcement Trends

In 2017, Customs and Border Protection reported a 26 percent drop in the number of people apprehended or stopped at the southern border.

At the same time, arrests of suspected undocumented immigrants jumped by 40 percent.

Individuals who arrive to the United States legally and overstay their visas comprise a significant portion of the undocumented population. Individuals who overstayed their visas have outnumbered those who arrived by crossing the border illegally by six hundred thousand since 2007.

Immigrants in the Workforce

In 2014, immigrants made up roughly 17 percent of the U.S. workforce, around two-thirds were in the country legally.

In 2014, immigrants comprised 36 percent of the workforce in U.S. manufacturing.

In 2014, immigrants comprised 33 percent of the workforce in U.S. agriculture.

How do Americans feel about immigration?

In 2017, a Gallup poll found that 71 percent of Americans considered immigration a “good thing” for the United States.

In 2016, as many as 84 percent supported a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants if they meet certain requirements.

Among Republicans, support for a path to citizenship (76 percent) was higher than support for a proposed border wall (62 percent).

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-...SAAEgK0QfD_BwE

*** Using data from the linked article (my ciphering)

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Or is this just a push by Democrats to gain voters and swell welfare rolls?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.54e9a224a24c
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't totally agree with that sentiment. I think a lot of folks just don't want to work that hard.

As an example, one of the cooks for the cafeteria services provider at my former employer, got a job at one of our local salt mines. Nearly double the pay. He did orientation, and quite the second day. They had him, the new guy, schlepping 40 pound bags of water softener salt off a conveyor onto pallets. His words as he reclaimed his old job 'I ain't going to work that hard.'

Another example - my sons both work at a paper mill,one of the best paying 'non-technical' entry level job in our area. Problem is - it's a paper mill - humid year round, 100+ by the machines. Entry level guys spend a lot of time scooping hot steaming paper(ish) out of the 'hole' when the machines screw up. Despite it being one of the best paying jobs in the area, my son's tell me only about a third of the new hires stick with it. Simply too hard.

So in reality, while I do believe that a number of folks do set at home on the dole, even more don't take the concrete or general construction work simply because they don't want to work that hard. They stick with a less physically demanding lower paying Mcjob rather than do hard physical work.

Truth is, in reality both of us are probably over simplifying.
    This is my experience.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well de-incentivising the welfare state should be the goal of every conservative. Those in elected office have done that before successfully, I would look for some inroads on this again after the next elections if the conservative side of the GOP gets a win.
    The Left has no clue how to pay for the social programs and mass immigration they are proposing and that should be emphasized at ever opportunity.

I have problems with illegal immigration and it is illegal for a number of reasons.
    You have to have at least a respect for our Laws in order to become a citizen, if you break the law to get here, I don't care what your situation was in your home Country, you came in the door a criminal.
    If you wouldn't qualify to come here under the law because of a criminal history, do we want you here?
    If you come here without a medical screening, do we want to pick up the tab for your ER visits so you can get treated? Do we want you spreading your disease?
    If you come here without a skill and without a real desire to work, do we want to train you? Do we want to support you if you decide you would rather not work?

So as much as I might desire to come here illegally if I was born in some third world country, there are reasons we have a process and laws to back up that process.
    The reason no one is willing to take the problem on is, it's not going to be popular for a politician to take these issues on. We've got a lot of RINO's leaving the House and Senate, notice that even they, with no political future refuse to address the issue?
    I applaud the POTUS for taking the action he has so far, I would like to see him push the issue further during his second term.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast