Thread: How long is too long to wait for a custom barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How long is too long to wait for a custom barrel?

Placed my order for a custom barrel 10 Jan, now almost 6 months later I still don't have my over $800 barrel for my 6.5 Grendel.

How long is too long? I've called a few times and keep getting excuses, estimated time at ordering was 4 months.

I'm getting anxious and just wondering if this should have been expecting when waiting for a one off custom barrel or if 6 month is way over due.

Thoughts?

Has anyone had their barrel take longer than 6 months?
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do you mean having an existing blank chambered by a gunsmith or having a smith order a blank to chamber for you?

If it was an existing blank in the smiths hands, then 6 months is getting pretty long.

If the smith needed to order a barrel, then I wouldn't sweat it. I use a number of custom barrel makers, and between lead times on getting a blank and when a gunsmith can work it into his schedule, 6 months isn't that bad.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, hopefully this will give you some insight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Do you mean having an existing blank chambered by a gunsmith or having a smith order a blank to chamber for you?

If it was an existing blank in the smiths hands, then 6 months is getting pretty long.

If the smith needed to order a barrel, then I wouldn't sweat it. I use a number of custom barrel makers, and between lead times on getting a blank and when a gunsmith can work it into his schedule, 6 months isn't that bad.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, hopefully this will give you some insight.
    This is a pretty popular company that has the Bartlein blank, I was told last month they were getting ready to cue my order and should have started on the 13th of May. I just don't want to keep calling and emailing if this is common wait times, I don't want a rushed barrel after waiting so long. Sounds like I just need to keep patient a little longer.

Thanks
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If they already have the blank, maybe they are just slogging through a ton of back logged work. 6.5mm barrel demand jumped to ridiculous levels after Sierra released their 150gr 6.5mm SMK and Berger announced their 155gr 6.5mm bullet. I had ordered two Brux barrels around that time, normally a 6 -8 week wait for a blank. The 6.5mm barrel was going to be 12-16 weeks at best.

Good luck! I hope you end up being happy with your custom barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That seems to be a bit too long. Usually 3 months but then again, as someone said earlier there could’ve been a backlog of orders that spiked up over the months. Keep in mind that 224 Valkyrie and 6.5 CM recently became very popular causing many to switch to this caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk