Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF now stating they never reversed 2015 open letter

Feedback Score

ATF now stating they never reversed 2015 open letter

Sorry if this is a repost, saw this on reddit and another forum this week.

They are apparently sending this out with all new pistol brace letters according to the user who posted/leaked it. I haven't seen anything on any of the big gun blogs about it, which is odd considering this is pretty big news?

In any event i'm just glad i got my F1 SBRs in last year, i knew that whole letter thing last year with the braces wasn't going to last.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brenrulez10 View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost, saw this on reddit and another forum this week.

They are apparently sending this out with all new pistol brace letters according to the user who posted/leaked it. I haven't seen anything on any of the big gun blogs about it, which is odd considering this is pretty big news?

In any event i'm just glad i got my F1 SBRs in last year, i knew that whole letter thing last year with the braces wasn't going to last.
    What stabilizing brace configurations have been approved implicitly by the ATF?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What if one wears a shoulder harness / vest / garment that has a socket in the shoulder that allows the butt end of the buffer to rest on? It's never "attached" to the pistol.
    This would actually aid in accuracy since you'll always get a more consistent position for cheek weld. Combine this with a telescoping Pistol Buffer Tube and voila?
    Last edited by joeg26er; 06-03-18 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Do we have a link to a credible source?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Do we have a link to a credible source?
    I saw this on r/firearms - https://reddit.com/r/Firearms/commen...pistol_braces/

Though reading through the comments again someone in a different sub came forward and said they got the same thing in a letter from atf - https://reddit.com/r/Firearms/commen...d9n/?context=3 and it looks like theirs has more to it too

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally I always thought the last letter just tried to clarify their stance. My take away was that if you're using a brace as a stock, it could be re-classified as a stock. At the end of the day, it would really be up to a prosecutor and a jury to determine that.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    More churn for the SBR / Pistol drama.

Always enjoyable to watch.

My takeaway is if you modify a brace to be more useful as a stock, you could be making an SBR.

If you use a brace as a stock occasionally, you really haven't made an SBR.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    The damn brace is almost as much as the damn tax stamp. If you are really worried about the government being all up in your info, a NFA charge is probably the least of your worries.

Oh yeah, if you put your paperwork in when this whole fiasco with the braces was going on, you would have it back by now.

Buy what you want and don't worry about the damn ATF and their opinions changing with the tide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My problem with all of this is that the ATF is deciding law.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    What if one wears a shoulder harness / vest / garment that has a socket in the shoulder that allows the butt end of the buffer to rest on? It's never "attached" to the pistol.
    This would actually aid in accuracy since you'll always get a more consistent position for cheek weld. Combine this with a telescoping Pistol Buffer Tube and voila?
    Nice thought exercise. Or just a really big shoulder pad like those 1950s bras... Make the ATF determine how much of a rise off the shoulder would constitute something.

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    My problem with all of this is that the ATF is deciding law.
    That is how a lot of legal stuff works. The law is passed and the actual regulations are written by the pertinent executive branch office.

I don't know what is worse, a lot of lobbyist, staffers and congresscritters who know nothing getting into the minutia, or leaving it to GSA people to write.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast