Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-1 Micro Red Dot Sight

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Took my G45 with the direct-milled ACRO to the range on Thursday with some friends. It have the original factory battery in it, and has stayed on 7. I briefly tried cranking it up to 10 to see what all the fuss was about. That's too bright for me, even the Texas sun at 2 in the afternoon.

I like this beast. I was shooting weak hand only at 12-15 yards at 6" steel plates. Not a problem. Shooting with two hands allowed me to pick up the speed, but maintain accuracy.

Shooting 8" plates with both hands at 10 yards was a lot of fun! Definitely keeping mine.

I had the direct milling done by Vulcan Machine Werks here in Texas. Excellent work and speedy turn-around. The milled a new slot for the rear Ameriglo suppressor sight in front the ACRO. They also did a excellent Cerakote after that. $250 out the door. I can recommend them without hesitation. A buddy had his Sig done by them, and I went with them based on his recommendation.

https://www.vulcanmachinewerks.com/

I'm going to leave this bad boy on 7, and run it until the battery craters. I have a spare battery stuffed inside the dirt and debris channel at the rear of the grip, kept in place by a Jentra plug.

The pistol is stock except for the Ameriglo BIUS and a Faxon threaded barrel. I'm putting a can and light on this bad boy, and using it during the night-shooting portions of Tom Givens Master Instructor class in November. If anyone can test/break/validate it, it will be that group of students.

Zero problems so far, I guess I'm just a unicorn.....

Feedback Score
    I'm looking hard at this or the Trijicon SR0 which is getting some awesome first reviews/impressions. Not sure the ACRO is going to offer a better sight picture and a more visible and easily picked up dot. I'm following both optics and their reviews closely. I run Aimpoints on all AR rifles....long time/big time Aimpoint fan, but the SRO sure looks like a winner to me for 99.9999 of handgun users. Early reviews, hands on with the optic, praise it for being so much easier to pick up the red dot.

Feedback Score
    Posted elsewhere but I'll put them here too:

VP9 Long Slide with ACRO P-1, slide milled by Primary Machine and then refinished in salt bath nitride.

Holster clearance in a PHLster Floodlight is not an issue.

Sighted in at 25 yards (per laser range finder) two handed standing, 20 rounds:

Confirmation target after running some drills to confirm zero hold and optic staying put. 10 rounds standing, 10 rounds seated resting pistol on a bag. 25 yards.

So far I am pleased.

I understand that some are concerned about or disappointed with the battery life, but in the balance for my use the ACRO P-1 is pretty dang good. Optically way better than my older RMR RM01, so more of the field of view through the lens is useful because the image is not distorted. Some would say this is a non issue, just find the dot and shoot regardless of image quality, and they're not wrong.... but it's still easier for me to use with less mental hurdles of ignoring my eyes confusion at the funhouse mirror distortions at the edges of an RMR lens. Mine is holding zero like a champ, and because it's a close emitter and and the cover windows provide well, cover the unit is easy to maintain when I clean the slide. Just wipe all the gunk off, no nooks or crannies for crap to get into. We can call that a second or third order advantage to a closed emitter sight that looks like a box, it's easy to clean crap off of.

Back on the battery for those who are disappointed that at higher brightness settings the battery life is significantly shortened, maybe consider a few things before you get all worked up:

1.) Changing the battery is stupid easy on this sight, if needs be you can get the battery cap off with nothing more than a flat head screw driver, spine of a pocket knife blade, coin, Aimpoint tool, etc. Try that with an RMR if you don't have the correct Torx driver handy.

2.) The batteries are cheap. Order a bunch of them and toss them into a pocket of your range bag.

3.) You do not have to dismount the optic from the pistol slide to accomplish the battery change, thus you avoid:

a. Needing to re-apply thread locker to the mounting screws and wait 24 hours for it to set up.

b. re-zero your optic to the pistol or re-confirm zero if you managed to do the job with no zero shift.

Additionally without getting into arguments about how bright you need your dot to be, because we're all different, if you've chosen to run this sight and you need a brighter dot for your uses just plant to change the batteries on a more aggressive schedule. We know that leaving the sight on setting 10 will kill a battery in roughly one week, not sure how long an RMR battery will last under similar use but probably not a lot longer. If you owned a Tesla would you complain bitterly about the battery draining too fast to give you a 300 mile range after your took it to the drag strip and ripped out 5 or 6 "Ludicrous Mode" full power, full amperage draw 1/4 mile acceleration runs? Maybe you would, and I would suggest that you have unrealistic expectations. By the same token if you hooked your truck up to a heavy trailer and towed it up a mountain pulling 3rd gear at wide open throttle are you going to complain that it got 2.5MPG? Because the highest brightness setting of an RDS (of any brand) is pretty much the same thing.

If you run either sight turned up all the way like that you better be changing batteries frequently. If you plan for it, and stay on top of it the battery changes shouldn't be an issue. So maybe you're a guy who's ACRO sight will only last 4 months, or whatever. Put an alert on your phone at the 3 month mark for example, and slam a new battery in the sight. That is still cheaper, less time consuming, and more convenient than taking off an RMR, changing the battery, waiting for the thread locker to cure, and then checking zero or re-zeroing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TH76251556 View Post
    I'm looking hard at this or the Trijicon SR0 which is getting some awesome first reviews/impressions. Not sure the ACRO is going to offer a better sight picture and a more visible and easily picked up dot. I'm following both optics and their reviews closely. I run Aimpoints on all AR rifles....long time/big time Aimpoint fan, but the SRO sure looks like a winner to me for 99.9999 of handgun users. Early reviews, hands on with the optic, praise it for being so much easier to pick up the red dot.
    The SRO is delicate though, it's made for gun games, not duty use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The SRO is delicate though, it's made for gun games, not duty use.
    FACtS ...post them

Feedback Score
    OK, guess you don’t know how to search.....

https://youtu.be/UzjgOq60vFE

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214953-Trijicon-SRO/page2

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sorry but all of you in high praise of the ACRO’s battery life on your barely useable 6/10 setting is a bit optimistic considering the optic has recently been available to consumers/hasn’t been in your possession longer than three months. Advertised battery life from 2019 Shot Show stated 1 year at setting 07/10. I don’t care how easy or cheap it is to change the battery.

The same people would be quick to dog EOTech’s battery life when compared to an Aimpoint Micro.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the update and link to Vulcan. I have a “spare” G45 in the safe I intend to get milled and purchase an ACRO for.

If I can ever find an ACRO...

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Took my G45 with the direct-milled ACRO to the range on Thursday with some friends. It have the original factory battery in it, and has stayed on 7. I briefly tried cranking it up to 10 to see what all the fuss was about. That's too bright for me, even the Texas sun at 2 in the afternoon.

I like this beast. I was shooting weak hand only at 12-15 yards at 6" steel plates. Not a problem. Shooting with two hands allowed me to pick up the speed, but maintain accuracy.

Shooting 8" plates with both hands at 10 yards was a lot of fun! Definitely keeping mine.

I had the direct milling done by Vulcan Machine Werks here in Texas. Excellent work and speedy turn-around. The milled a new slot for the rear Ameriglo suppressor sight in front the ACRO. They also did a excellent Cerakote after that. $250 out the door. I can recommend them without hesitation. A buddy had his Sig done by them, and I went with them based on his recommendation.

https://www.vulcanmachinewerks.com/

I'm going to leave this bad boy on 7, and run it until the battery craters. I have a spare battery stuffed inside the dirt and debris channel at the rear of the grip, kept in place by a Jentra plug.

The pistol is stock except for the Ameriglo BIUS and a Faxon threaded barrel. I'm putting a can and light on this bad boy, and using it during the night-shooting portions of Tom Givens Master Instructor class in November. If anyone can test/break/validate it, it will be that group of students.

Zero problems so far, I guess I'm just a unicorn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Sorry but all of you in high praise of the ACRO’s battery life on your barely useable 6/10 setting is a bit optimistic considering the optic has recently been available to consumers/hasn’t been in your possession longer than three months. Advertised battery life from 2019 Shot Show stated 1 year at setting 07/10. I don’t care how easy or cheap it is to change the battery.

The same people would be quick to dog EOTech’s battery life when compared to an Aimpoint Micro.
    Not sure where you are inferring praise for the battery life of the cr1225 in the ACRO P-1? It is demonstrably less than the RMR, no one is disputing that. A cr1225 battery only has a capacity of maybe 50 mAh under perfect conditions, which is the trade off you make to run a tiny battery. The upside is it’s very small, and packages well on a compact optic in a location other than the base of the optic. The cr2032 used by an RMR is nominally rated for 225 mAh in comparison.

I’ve had mine since mid/late April, running on setting 7 mostly, or bumping up to 8 in really bright conditions. So I’m personally approaching 4 months with the optic. I can pick up the dot indoors on setting 7 without issue against a white wall with a Surefire X300U 1000 lumen weapon light turned on. For me setting 9 and 10 are pretty much unusable in any conditions I have encountered indoors turning the dot being so bright it turns the screen red and blots out the image. Even in bright daylight the top two settings are too much for me, the winter might give me a reason to crank up the dot under fresh snow on a clear sunny day.

I’m sorry your eyes don’t get along with the dot intensity of the ACRO P-1 unless you have it turned up to setting 8 or above. Perhaps you should sell it in the EE and recoup your money to put towards an RMR? If remembering to do battery changes on a schedule is something you find odious, or impractical then maybe electronic sights are not a good fit for you in the first place. Adding electronics to a gun makes the support requirements for the gun more complicated, particularly since batteries are perishable.

Good luck going forward, hopefully your new fresh battery is the fix.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Not sure where you are inferring praise for the battery life of the cr1225 in the ACRO P-1? It is demonstrably less than the RMR, no one is disputing that. A cr1225 battery only has a capacity of maybe 50 mAh under perfect conditions, which is the trade off you make to run a tiny battery. The upside is it’s very small, and packages well on a compact optic in a location other than the base of the optic. The cr2032 used by an RMR is nominally rated for 225 mAh in comparison.

I’ve had mine since mid/late April, running on setting 7 mostly, or bumping up to 8 in really bright conditions. So I’m personally approaching 4 months with the optic. I can pick up the dot indoors on setting 7 without issue against a white wall with a Surefire X300U 1000 lumen weapon light turned on. For me setting 9 and 10 are pretty much unusable in any conditions I have encountered indoors turning the dot being so bright it turns the screen red and blots out the image. Even in bright daylight the top two settings are too much for me, the winter might give me a reason to crank up the dot under fresh snow on a clear sunny day.

I’m sorry your eyes don’t get along with the dot intensity of the ACRO P-1 unless you have it turned up to setting 8 or above. Perhaps you should sell it in the EE and recoup your money to put towards an RMR? If remembering to do battery changes on a schedule is something you find odious, or impractical then maybe electronic sights are not a good fit for you in the first place. Adding electronics to a gun makes the support requirements for the gun more complicated, particularly since batteries are perishable.

Good luck going forward, hopefully your new fresh battery is the fix.
    Weird flex but ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast