Thread: replace triangular handguard cap with round

Feedback Score

replace triangular handguard cap with round

Opened box for new Magpul SL handguard, then noticed I have triangular handguard cap. Is there another slim drop-in handguard, or should I just replace original cap with round cap? If I went through all the trouble for the latter, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just eliminate A-2 post sight and just go with free floated handguard. Opinions?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SST View Post
    Opened box for new Magpul SL handguard, then noticed I have triangular handguard cap. Is there another slim drop-in handguard, or should I just replace original cap with round cap? If I went through all the trouble for the latter, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just eliminate A-2 post sight and just go with free floated handguard. Opinions?
    I know I am looking at the opposite issue.

Bought a PKMR-Midlength. It's supposed to be a triangle cap, but the round works. I don't think it'll work that way for yah.

Cutting down the FSP won't require you to remove it. But switching out the handguards for a freefloat will since the gastube will have to be pulled. No matter what you're looking at needing a couple blocks o' wood and a heavy hammer with a punch. My opine: Save the monies and swap out the caps.

Unless you're really intent on going FreeFloat. Buying a whole new rail, cutting down the FSP, unpinning it, pulling the delta ring, replacing it with FF, torqueing back on, reinstalling. It's a lot more than: Unpinning, swap caps, align it all, repin, drop in handguard.

Quite literally, you're looking at 1-4 hours of work (depending on your pace and if Murphy is on your side) for the cutting and such, while the cap replacement will take 20-30 minutes. Again... Supposing Murphy doesn't decide to rain on your parade.

On that topic great choice with the SL, one of my favorite drop in polymer handguards. Until I met the PKMR, that is.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 06-08-18 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's not difficult to swap handguard caps. The Magpul SL handguards are my favorite and have them fitted on several ARs.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the quick replies. I went ahead and ordered the round cap since it was only $3.00. Couldn't stand waiting, so I removed the old cap. Maybe I just got lucky, but it only took five minutes to remove flash hider, A-2 sight, and cap. Taper pins came out very easily. I'll install the Magpul SL when I get the round cap. Since this was much easier than anticipated, if I decide later to get a low profile gas block and free floated handguard, I now know it won't be that big of a deal. Thanks, again.
    Sam

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    You are aware there are two sizes, right? And you order the correct size.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    You're right. I ordered the .75.