Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite rifle case.

Feedback Score

What is your favorite rifle case.

Title pretty much says it all.

What do you use?

What do you like about it?

What do you not like?

What would you change?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

What is your favorite rifle case.

Not such an easy question, because I have different bags for different types of AR’s. Hopefully this is helpful especially since I wrote it all in my dang iPhone.

I have basically 4 bags I use. I could easily get that down to 3. Of the commentary you’ll read, I would drop the 5.11 Tactical bag if I had a longer VooDoo Tactical bag. You’ll understand why when you read further. Oh and if you want pics of any of these bags, let me know.

Truck Gun/Discrete Rifle:
    Bulldog Ultta-Compact Discrete AR-15 case. This is pretty discrete, but not as discrete as a tennis racquet Cade which is what I will eventually get. However for the price this is a well made case. It has two mag pockets sewn inside onto a padded piece that’s used to separate a lower from the upper. However I can fit my 300BLK w/ can I. This bag. What is difficult is the height. If you have a tall optic AND a 30rd mag loaded, you will have a hard time closing the zipper. If you have the hard Magpul “mag pullers” you will not get t closed. But I have some soft “mag pulls” and it does close completely. That is with an EOTech optic. My 300BLK has an 8.3” barrel with a 7.66”can. Zipper quality is good, overall construction is good. I’d recommend this bag.
    (sidebar) I have a full length BullDog Tactical bag, and the buckles are cheap Chinese bucks and the webbing/straps are way too thin. Inside the case is really nice and the outside storage pockets really nice, which confuses me about the buckles and straps.. for those reasons I’m not including it, but wanted to warn you about the bag.
    [URL http://bit.ly/2Jy5ihM_BulldogDiscrete][/URL]

Carbine/SBR
    VooDoo Tactical 36” Rifle Bag
    Doesn’t cost an arm and leg. Good buckles, room for 2 rifles and can handle it even with the additional width of two Redi-Mags.
    High quality zippers and lots of storage room, plus PALS but not sure what pouch you’d want to attach since there are 3 very good size pouches built in, additionally a large center compartment with More storage options inside it. Plus shoulder straps that don’t break when you have two carbines and 12 loaded mags plus odds and ends. (Lancer Tactical bag failed this mission therefore is not listed.
    One more thing. There are other companies who make a very similar bag. Can’t really tell the difference when looking at pics on Amazon for example. But I assure you there is a difference. So just be mindful of that.
    http://bit.ly/2l5WxB0_VoodooTacticalRifleCase

Precision Rifles
    AU 46x14 Marksman's Multi-Function Rifle Case
    This is a nice rifle bag that unfolds to a 40x46 padded shooting mat. It’s really well made and for the price, just hard to beat. Solid stitching, and some smart design aspects. Since it’s a shooting mat also there aren’t a lot of pouches like in tactical rifle bags, however, there are a couple of laser cut PALS panel/pockets if I want to attach pouches. I have an platoon sergeant pouch (T3) with admin & shooting stuff, and a BFG Ten Speed 308 double pouch. Can put anything in that as well. For $50, I’d call people dumb for not buying it. If they like this type of bag. I would have one for every precision rifle I own. No questions & no hesitation. $50 bucks is a no-brainer.
    http://bit.ly/2JuXf9G_AURifleCaseShootingMat

Battle Rifles (AR-10’s)
    5.11 Tactical Rifle Bag. Bought this one on the E&E for a very good deal. It’s a nice bag, but it’s not better made than the VooDoo Tactical bag but costs more and doesn’t have as many storage options. I do like that it’s a should sling bag. Meaning one heavy sling to go across your shoulder instead of ruck sack type straps. However where the straps connect to the bag could have been better designed. It does have PALS webbing on the outside and a large zippered center storage pocket/area and I believe it came with a 5.11 triple M4 mag shingle which I have attached inside the center compartment to PALS. The webbing aka straps could be a little thicker meaning higher quality - i.e. the straps that cinch up the bag on either side of the carry handles. The straps are thin and so they can easily expand or loosen even with the slightest of pressure on the underside of the strap. For the name 5.11 Tactical has, I would have expected to see higher quality materials used in this rifle bag. That said, it does get the job done. BLUF: For the money I’d go with VooDoo Tactical.
    http://bit.ly/2LGRhyU_511TacticalSingleRifleBag
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bone View Post
    Title pretty much says it all.

What do you use?

What do you not like?

What would you change?
    If you're hoping to glean information for narrowing your own case choices, you may want to specify what type of case and for what purpose (e.g. hard cases for shipping/traveling, hard cases for range transport, soft cases for range transport, soft cases for field use, etc.). Just a suggestion, as I spent an inordinate amount of time a few years ago looking at cases myself.

For me, I ended up with having cases for three different roles: unsupervised transport (e.g. airline usage, shipping, etc.), traveling/range use, and field use.

Transporting (Hard Cases)
    For transporting on airlines or shipping, nothing beats a Pelican case (in my opinion). I ended up with a Pelican 1750 with custom cut foam (easy to do yourself) that is organized to hold the rifle and all of the accessories required. Everything fits where you want it, it holds everything you need, and it's guaranteed to stand up to anything, except bear attacks, shark bites, and children under the age of 5 (props to those who get the Pelican label reference).

What I like about it? It's got solid protection for most anything you can throw at it. You can have one case and multiple custom-cut foam panels - just swap out the panel for the rifle you want to transport and you're good to go.

What I don't like? Size. Pelican cases are bulky and don't fit well in most cars. YMMV.

Range and Field Gear (Soft Cases)
    For nylon gear / soft cases, I really, really, really like Hazard 4 gear. I'm in the process of switching over to them. Most all of their stuff is fairly solid, for mass-produced nylon. The downside is that it's rather pricey, but that's mostly it. The quality isn't quite as good as say Eberlestock or some of the Tactical Taylor sewn items. The upside is that most of their gear is really well thought-out.

Most all of my range gear is Hazard 4. I even have a few sling packs that I use for commuting and work - they're nice because they're all EDC-friendly and have well-placed compartments.

For my rifle though, I'm currently using the 5.11 Double Rifle Case. It's solid and good enough for the money. It has room for two full-size ARs and a few accessories, mags, etc., but overall it's lacking in space and I have to end up bringing another rangebag. I'm planning on swapping it out for a Hazard 4 Longshot. It only holds one rifle, but has plenty of pockets for mags, tools, etc.

What I like about the 5.11? It's decent quality at a good price.

What I don't like? Lack of easily-usable compartments. It has several, they're just small and not very useful for the stuff you'd typically take with you.

For field use? I'm still trying to nail that down.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 06-11-18 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I’ll keep it short and simple.

I have two:

Tactical Tailor Gym Duffel - Great bag for discreet carry of a rifle up to 18” barrel (it does protrude a bit but not enough that it is overly obvious). I pop in one of those padded dividers from SO Tech and I can stick a broke down rifle in there plus some odds and ends. Being a duffel, it also works great for any use a duffel can be used for; gym, travel, etc.

LBT Discreet SBR bag: Though I just picked one up during their Memorial Day sale, I can tell already it is a solid discreet bag too. It can fit a broke down rifle with a barrel up to 18” as well (it fits my SPR tightly with the Warcomp MD), or it can fit complete SBR’s I believe up to 11.5” or complete rifles/carbines with a LAW folder (not sure what length up to). It is Velcro lined on the inside for various pouches to configure and it also has a couple of external pockets. Plenty of room in this thing for extra mags, range gear, etc. This bag is high quality. It also doesn’t look tactical, but some in the know will probably recognize it with a double take.

Other cases I have read good things about: LaRue (I forget the name), any TT offering, the Noveske/First Spear offering, the Haley Strategic bags, and those discreet bags made by SneakyBags.

For travel like airlines and the sort, like mentioned, Pelican is the way to go. For a cheaper option Condition 1 makes some good hard cases too.
    Last edited by Endur; 06-11-18 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For a hard case, it's Pelican for me because of their toughness and the reasons listed above. The case I use for range trips or traveling in the vehicle is the same Voo Doo bag listed above.

Feedback Score
    Wow, guys! Didn't expect such detailed responses.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Hopefully this is helpful especially since I wrote it all in my dang iPhone. . . .
    I think that qualifies as "above and beyond", Robert. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    If you're hoping to glean information for narrowing your own case choices, you may want to specify what type of case and for what purpose (e.g. hard cases for shipping/traveling, hard cases for range transport, soft cases for range transport, soft cases for field use, etc.). Just a suggestion, as I spent an inordinate amount of time a few years ago looking at cases myself.
    Skyyr, I'm mainly looking for something to transport to and from the range for now. Since it will be on the floorboard of the back seat of my truck, I'd prefer something fairly discreet in case I stop somewhere going or coming from the range. The back windows are tinted but not so much that someone can't look in and identify what's back there.

Everyone, thanks for your contribution!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have two hard cases for my AR's:

Cabela's Armor Xtreme Molded Double Long-Gun Hard Case = internal 50.75"L x 15"W (199.00)

Cabela's Armor Xtreme Lite Tactical Case = internal 36.5"L x 13.5"W (99.00)

I choose the Cabela's over the Pelican's that I was used to carrying at work because I felt Cabella's had the best price to quality ratio and I didn't feel I had the need for the purge valves. I use them rarely, generally when going on a shooting road trip with someone else when I might have to either put the rifle case in a pickup bed, or pile other stuff on it. I prefer the latches on the Cabella's over the Pelican's. Although I'm sure the Pelican latches would stand up to daily use better, they are more difficult to latch and unlatch IMO.

For soft cases I'm pretty much wed to Bulldog Cases for my AR type rifles. My LGS carries then and I stumbled on them one year when I was browsing the LGS so I could tell my wife what to have my daughters get me for Christmas. They are affordable, and better than okay quality. Made in China. They are also readily available from various vendors online.

When I go to the range I prefer to use Bulldog covert cases to carry to the car or truck - https://www.bulldogcases.com/product...ng-rifle-case/ - the problem is that you have to break anything except my SBR's with LAW folders down.

I have used the two I own, one blue and one black (black = same design except not Bulldog and configured as an over the should sling bag) for several years, and they've held up well, although admittedly, to and from the vehicle isn't rough and tumble.

What I like about them is they don't really look like rifle bags and to me that is worth the trouble of taking the rifles down. I went through a phase of carrying an SBR with a LAW stock in public and used the black sling bag for that, no one ever said anything, I decided on my own to live more freely. The other thing is I can sit both of them end to end, upright against the back seat of the truck and lay stuff on the seat in front of them.

When I have the vehicles positioned so I can load right next to the backdoor (our garage is detached) I use regular Bulldog bags that allow me to insert an assemble AR. I have two of these also, one short and one longer. https://www.bulldogcases.com/product...le-case-black/ I may regret it one day but I've also cut the back pack strap off these carriers. Both of them have external mag pouches, which I rarely, if ever use. I wish they had two zipper slides, these only have one so you have to run the zipper all the way open.

For pistols, I have an LAPG pistol case for each pistol. I generally just put them in the main compartment of my range bags. They come in different collors, and generally go on sale at regular intervals. https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-pistol-case-black.html

More than you want to know about my thoughts on pistol cases.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-11-18 at 19:52.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    What do you use?
    TacticalToGo Double Rifle Case

Holds a ton of stuff - two rifles and eight mags, two pistols and four mags, plus additional storage cut outs and includes small plastic ammo can. Not pelican durable but padded and durable enough to fly with, and not 600 pounds either.

What do you not like?
    Wish they had foam cuts for RMRs and lights on the pistols but that’s about it.

What would you change?
    Same as above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Favorite case for transport to the range - American Mountain Supply Discreet Tactical Case, 36 inch for my 16" barreled AR.

Likes: Doesn't look (as much) like a rifle case. Slick sides don't snag on everything. 4 inside mag pockets plus small utility pouch for batteries, oil bottle, boresnake, etc. Padded divider between rifle side and mag pocket side. Good size, good protection, good quality; U.S. made.

Dislikes - only available in black, pricey.

Change - I would make the utility pouch bigger or replace all the pouches with PALS webbing.

Andy

P.S. They do come in other colors, including "tapestry" patterns.

http://www.americanmountainsupply.co...cal-rifle-case
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-11-18 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for Bulldog stuff....do wish it was some sort of dull color not typically associated with guns though...maroon, navy, etc.

I also think a generic duffle bag would work well too.

Always been kinda leery on musical instrument cases, tennis racket bags, and so on. No idea what is valuable/interesting looking on those that would attract attention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast