Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel re-profile question

Feedback Score

Barrel re-profile question

Could an a2 profile barrel with fixed sight/gas block be milled to more of an A1 profile in front of the gas block without removing the block?

I know it still be thicker under the gas block but would still remove a few ounces off the front of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why not just remove the FSB?

Practically, however, It's probably cheaper to just buy the barrel you want... factoring in machining and refinishing costs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Practically, however, It's probably cheaper to just buy the barrel you want... factoring in machining and refinishing costs.
    Isn't removing the FSB difficult on a BCM?

As for buying just what I want, I have another thread about that. Nobody of high-rep makes such a thing. (A1 barrel, fixed fsb, flat top receiver)

So I thought modifying an A2 fsb barrel might be the thing to do.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

As for buying just what I want, I have another thread about that. Nobody of high-rep makes such a thing. (A1 barrel, fixed fsb, flat top receiver)

I don’t know the process, but I know someone that can do it for a good price if you’re looking for shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Probably. But not impossible. I think Gunz used a large flat punch to get the initial bump on the taper pin.. then finishes with a regular taper pin punch. I have a taper pin punch that was concave on the tip. I got some Colt pins to move with that thing for member here. Some of my FSBs are just scratched up because I get lazy on my own guns and end up letting the punch slip/move.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Why are you soo against getting the Faxon barrel and have a FSB pinned on?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Yeah why not remove the FSB?

Id expect at minimum $100 from a machinist who knows what he’s doing, and with a barrel I wouldn’t go with a bargain shop.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you think the FSB will cause you angst, just chop the FSB down and use it without pulling it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Cool

Probably. But not impossible. I think Gunz used a large flat punch to get the initial bump on the taper pin.. then finishes with a regular taper pin punch. I have a taper pin punch that was concave on the tip. I got some Colt pins to move with that thing for member here. Some of my FSBs are just scratched up because I get lazy on my own guns and end up letting the punch slip/move.
    I have never had a problem removing a BCM FSB. I do let some Kroil soak in around the pins the day before I remove it. After that; easy-peasy!

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast