Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sionics Review

Feedback Score

Sionics Review

I have been meaning to post a review of my dealing with Sionics and the purchase of their patrol 3 upper with the lightweight barrel. As a bit of background, I have been using the AR platform for almost 40 years. I have my share of AR's and have built many lowers. I am a big fan of BCM, colt and SOLGW. Not much of a fan of LMT anymore.

Last Nov, I decided to buy an M-Lok upper. I was looking at the new BCM's and Sionics. Both were on sale, but the Sionics was much cheaper. Money was not an issue, but I mention it because it is a fact. Sionics is 1 in 8 and BCM is 1 in 7. Both are good to go in my mind as to the barrel rate. I did have a few questions about the Sionics.

Hence, I emailed Sionics with some questions. I look for three things when emailing a company about product information and this is how I rate customer service. 1. Timely response; 2. Courtesy; 3. Knowledgeable response. All my emails were answered in an expeditious fashion. The tone was courteous. I recognize that the person answering my email might have answered the same question 12 times that day. However, I appreciate courtesy. Lastly, the responses contained specific answers to my questions. It was obvious that the person had taken the time to read my questions and provide a direct and helpful answer--not some boilerplate response. I wanted a different muzzle device and they offered to install it for free. I sent it to them. The website says shipping would be, if I remember correctly, 2-4 weeks.

I got a shipping notice in 3 days. I wanted to make sure they had received my muzzle device, so I called them. The phone was answered and the person asked my name after I informed him of my concern. He said no problem, he would check on it and take care of any issues. Outstanding. A day later I got a new shipping notice and a few days thereafter, I got my new upper. It was appropriately packaged. The fit and finish was excellent as was the feed ramps etc. The proof is in the shooting. I topped it with a new MRO and sighted it in at 50 yards. I don't have much patience for shooting groups, just throw it over a range bag and pop a few rounds. I was shooting three round groups to sight in. My groups were less than the size of a quarter. Next, I ran various drills. I shot 300 rounds without any issues. I have now run an additional 800 rounds from this upper without any malfunctions. I have run drills with a timer and must say that this is a very smooth and soft shooting upper. I run an H buffer. It has quickly become one of my favorite uppers.

I am still working with it, however, I am very impressed and would feel comfortable recommending this upper for anyone, including those who go in harms way.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. I'm also very pleased with my Sionics purchases as well as their excellent service.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Josh and his folks are top notch, they pay attention to every little detail others might not have even heard of, let alone apply to their work.

Sionics will be staking our SBCG gas keys for us, using Ned's OCKS (Optimized Carrier key Screws). One day I happened to remember to inquire whether they use Permatex seal the gas key and carrier, the answer was a foregone conclusion, a resounding affirmative.

I recommend Sionics to anyone that wants a solid defense/duty AR, without any fancy and useless fashion bits. In a market awash in retarded lifestyle ARs, Sionics continues to make quiet professional quality ARs for their LE and discerning customers.
    Last edited by Duffy; 01-20-18 at 11:48.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Bought the patrol 3 lightweight as well, upper has ran flawlessly and is super light as well. My only complaint is I had to move the LMT front sight as far over to the right to get it to zero.

Feedback Score
    Now you'all are just making me jealous!

Congratulations, I want the "medium contour barrel".
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I want a 14.5 medium contour. Every upper and product I've bought from them has been excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the review ssc, I've been comparing the BCM and Sionics 16" uppers myself.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
    Thanks for the review ssc, I've been comparing the BCM and Sionics 16" uppers myself.
    I did the same thing a few years ago and ended up with the Sionics Patrol 0 upper with NP3 bcg. I put a carry handle on it and it is by far my favorite rifle. It sees more range time than all the others combined.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I can echo all these experiences.

About a year ago I decided to get my first SBR as a complete rifle and narrowed down to DD MK18 and the Sionics Patrol rifle 3 SBR. I read and read here and elsewhere and finally decided to call Sionics to ask some questions. To my amazement my call was answered and the conversation was friendly and helpful, like others said real technical answers were given. I think I was talking to the owner and one of their technical guys was in the room adding to the conversation on speaker phone. Dollar for dollar the package really was lightyears a better deal than the MK18, so I ordered.

Similarly, every email for the transaction that I sent was answered in nearly real time and I was cc' d on all emails between them and my local shop while they exchanged the SOT and what not. When the form 3 took much longer than it should have (I have no doubt at no fault of theirs) they cordially answered a phone call and an email or 2 reassuring me my money was well spent.

I still don't have the rifle in my own safe, but I've handled and fondled it a few times. It's a great piece of work, it's rail and furniture are a bit different than what the same model offering is currently on their site but those differences are inconsequential in end usage best I can tell.

What I'm trying to say is that I received Customer service at a level that plain doesn't exist in this industry...try talking to someone on the phone at BCM and see if you can talk specs in choosing which port size and barrel contour on an upper you're looking at (I own and love a BCM rifle btw).

Can't wait to shoot my first SBR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I kick myself for not getting their new pistol when it was on special. If I had known I would sell one of my rifles I would have picked it up as a graduation present for myself.

Had I been more informed I might have skipped the whole idea of building rifles, especially now that they are offering Duffy's wares. But, I learned a lot building them myself so there's that.

Thanks for your report.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast