Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest round count LMT 308?

Feedback Score
    I bought mine used back in 2010. Barely 100 rounds through the 16” CL barrel. It’s been at least MOA from the 16” barrel. A couple of years ago I bought the 18” SS and it made the gun a sub moa shooter. I bought a can and had nothing but problems with reliability. Lots of Ftfeed. It was really frustrating. I tried an XH buffer from heavy buffers to no avail. I emailed LMT and they suggested the rubber city armory adjustable gas key. I have it installed on the carrier but I have not shot it or adjusted it yet. Agreed on ammo, it likes 168 and 175 FGMM but I have had decent groups with Fed XM80 and PP 145 gr FMJ. Good hits on a plate at 3-500 yards. Never shot cheap steel case out of it. I plan to run it suppressed most of the time once the gas key is adjusted. I am taking a precision rifle class with it in August. I have enjoyed every shot with it. It’s a heavy rifle but it’s not a battle rifle as set up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I feel that is the only negative from the LMT....suppressors...my friend ran suppressors exclusively and installed one of those keys...worked like a dream...I might be installing one as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You say " not very accurate, just MOA". 2 of 3 of my MWS are or were sub moa. My last barrel will kick out some .5 MOA groups.

But IMO, MOA is fine for these battle rifles. I also find gas guns more difficult to shoot good groups with, but you can settle in.

I've never had a malfunction with all types of ammo and run a can always.

PB
    What suppressor are you using?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have been running a SIG 338 TI QD can. The can manages the gases very well being a bit oversized and all. And the gun runs better.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have been running a SIG 338 TI QD can. The can manages the gases very well being a bit oversized and all. And the gun runs better.

PB
    Thanks. I'm about to try a surge and see how that works. With out a can it has been running good.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a direct thread can I want to try on a spare barrel just for grins.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Pappabear, what barrel would you recommend for the best accuracy. I have the standard 16" cl now. Also any recommendations on ammo or loads besides the 168 fgm?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Pappabear, what barrel would you recommend for the best accuracy. I have the standard 16" cl now. Also any recommendations on ammo or loads besides the 168 fgm?
    One of my very good friends had a 16inch CL barrel because thats what came with the gun. He immediately bought a 18 SS barrel off of reports of accuracy. He still runs the SS barrel since he bought it, but says his 16CL is within .25 accuracy. Most people get MOA performance out of their 16 CL barrels. So, if thats good enough I suggest that. Especially if your running a can to keep length down.

Its your call from there my friend. How important is accuracy? or extreme accuracy ?

PB

Feedback Score
    So far the 168 gr is around 1 moa. I'm looking for a better optic than the old leuplod mk4 3-9x that is on it now to see if I can manage to do better. I also might experiment with ammo, but not sure where to start. The goal would be less than 1 moa and If the 16" can get me there I'll stick with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    So far the 168 gr is around 1 moa. I'm looking for a better optic than the old leuplod mk4 3-9x that is on it now to see if I can manage to do better. I also might experiment with ammo, but not sure where to start. The goal would be less than 1 moa and If the 16" can get me there I'll stick with it.
    Try some TAP 168 grain ELD's. Try some FGGM 175's. Its not uncommon for guns to prefer slightly then 168 vs 175 SMK or vice versa. Maybe some TAP 178 ELD's if they make that. I bet one will get under MOA. ELD's are my new favorite, but FGGM is a Gold Standard still. I do think a better scope might help, some reticles don't do it for me. Make sure you good contrast between target and reticle. bla bla bla

I shop Bonefrog for premium ammo at good prices. Good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-19-18 at 10:10.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast