Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest round count LMT 308?

Feedback Score
    Curious, why are 13.5 barrels popular for 7.62?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Comes down to what you want to do with the rifle.

Mine is and always will be a sub 500 yard 308 battle rifle...308 LMTs do really well with 13.5" barrels as far as retaining accuracy out to 600.

It also shaves about 10oz or so off the front of the gun...so that is a huge plus...and it is as short as I can have it legally.

308 rounds do well out of shorter barrels...more so than a 5.56...so it makes it a no brainer for some to go shorter...I think you only lose around 50-70 FPS.

Cool thing with the LMT...if I ever want to go CSASS platform...I'll just get a match SS 16" 5R barrel for it.
    Last edited by thehun; 07-07-18 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hlb14 View Post
    Not sure, but at least you can swap back easy enough. Seems like a waste though, you lose 120-130 fps for the length of a muzzle device (Based on a test On rifleshooter.com). The lighter weight would be nice but the Lmt is going to be heavy either way.

I shot another 45 rds of 168 gr TMKs I had loaded. I worked up to 43.4 gr of 4064. No real standouts at 100yrds. Using cci military primers and everything looked ok. A few cases had some ejector marks. I even retested some previous powder charges and it wasn't as good. Maybe not my day.

Still waiting on a better optic for shooting groups.
    Last edited by Corse; 07-07-18 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is the shortest barrel
    You can get with monolithic rail. And many folks like smallest most nimble. I think 16 inch is perfect.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That is the shortest barrel
    You can get with monolithic rail. And many folks like smallest most nimble. I think 16 inch is perfect.

PB
    Pappabear, have you tried the 155gr TMK? I keep seeing the 16" CL barrels line the lighter weight. Which maybe why the 147gr MEN shoots almost as good as FGM.
    Last edited by Corse; 07-08-18 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No, we have only handloaded the heavies. We have talked about getting a smoking light load. Good idea. If Mark gets froggy maybe he will roll up some. Let us know if you get a load worked up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hlb14 View Post
    For me after a few years of trying to make 308 to work effectively past 800, I decided not to try to pigeon hole a single barrel into something that works in all areas. Its not a SR25 where you are stuck with what you buy. if there are better tools availible, use them.

the 16CL was fairly accurate but heavy, didn't have the consistency for past 800 and was heavy as a carbine/plinker.
    the 18SS was more accurate, but heavier, liked the accuracy, was better past 800 but wasnt really something that you wanted to lug around.

I decided to pick up a 20SS 6.5CM for past 800, way more effecient and fun to shoot at mid to longer ranges
    I also picked up a Lightweight 13.5SS barrel in 308 and relegated its use inside of 800, since I am not pushing the rounds envelope, its still has nice accuracy, it handles incredibly well, feels about the same as my SCAR 17.

Both setups are incredibly fun to shoot, and work far better as intened

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yup. I won't push the 308 CL barrel passed 600 yards...so cutting it to 13.5" was a solid choice to further improve the platform...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    For me after a few years of trying to make 308 to work effectively past 800, I decided not to try to pigeon hole a single barrel into something that works in all areas. Its not a SR25 where you are stuck with what you buy. if there are better tools availible, use them.

the 16CL was fairly accurate but heavy, didn't have the consistency for past 800 and was heavy as a carbine/plinker.
    the 18SS was more accurate, but heavier, liked the accuracy, was better past 800 but wasnt really something that you wanted to lug around.

I decided to pick up a 20SS 6.5CM for past 800, way more effecient and fun to shoot at mid to longer ranges
    I also picked up a Lightweight 13.5SS barrel in 308 and relegated its use inside of 800, since I am not pushing the rounds envelope, its still has nice accuracy, it handles incredibly well, feels about the same as my SCAR 17.

Both setups are incredibly fun to shoot, and work far better as intened

Further explain, it’s not a SR25 your stuck with what you buy....then buy 3 different barrels for one platform. That doesn’t exactly seem “stuck”.

I can shoot my CL16 to 1,000 everyday. It’s no 300WM but would kill at 1,000 if needed for the mission. I’m going to buy a 6.5 and play with that barrel for a bit.

Feedback Score

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast