Thread: 1.93" Height mounts, why all the excitement? Where did they come from?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

1.93" Height mounts, why all the excitement? Where did they come from?

1.93" height mounts, why all the excitement? Where did they come from? What was their original intended purpose?

These mounts seem super popular these days. Initially i read about seeing over IR lasers and being high enough to use with BNVG.

So that kind of made sense, but with an absolute cowitness mount and an Aimpoint T1 I have no real issue getting a sight picture with my nods. As the the laser, my PEQ15 blocks a little of the site picture, but nothing I don't think a a 1/3 height mount wouldn't fix.

Now I see 1.93 mounts for LPVO, and people waiting to get a mount until a 1.93" version comes out.

So I ask why?

Why 1.93", that seems a very specific height, where did that come from.

Why are people really so excited?

Why would you use it with a LPVO?

Doesn't it suck having a high site over bore?

What am I missing? I feel as though there is something I'm just not seeing

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    On a P&S podcast, Chuck Pressburg said the 1.93" came about, to fulfill a need to get a S&B Short Dot over a PEQ. Larue sent them multiple mounts still in the white of various heights. They came up with 1.93" being the lowest that still got over the PEQ.

More recently, the ideal overheight came to be 2.04", as that allows the use of clip-on NV on top of a .5" riser to be used in conjunction with the LPVO.

Personally, I like the higher mount as it gives me a more heads up position and is infinitely more comfortable with my bad back. When using my LPVO as a red dot the height over bore doesn't really matter, I only have a slightly increased holdover. And I seldomly benchrest my rifle and shoot for groups, so lacking a perfectly ideal cheekweld also doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From a pure technical shooting perspective, the lower and further inboard you can get the butt of the carbine, the better the recoil control. A taller mount allows you to get the butt lower and still have a decent head position.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From a pure technical shooting perspective, the lower and further inboard you can get the butt of the carbine, the better the recoil control. A taller mount allows you to get the butt lower and still have a decent head position.

This is the reason for most people ive talked to.

Personally, my lt104 places my lpvo perfectly for use with my b5bravo. Ymmv.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This. I use a 1.93” with my Aimpoint and it’s a lot easier for me to mount the gun and get the dot. I usually have the butt more on my pec than in the pocket.

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Are sights still usable through a 1.93 mount with an Aimpoint or a MRO.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Are sights still usable through a 1.93 mount with an Aimpoint or a MRO.
    No, unless you get the Unity Fast Mount, 2.04 height but it has an adjustable rear peep sight. Otherwise you can roll with offest BUIS or have your RDS on a QD mount.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    On a P&S podcast, Chuck Pressburg said the 1.93" came about, to fulfill a need to get a S&B Short Dot over a PEQ. Larue sent them multiple mounts still in the white of various heights. They came up with 1.93" being the lowest that still got over the PEQ.

More recently, the ideal overheight came to be 2.04", as that allows the use of clip-on NV on top of a .5" riser to be used in conjunction with the LPVO.

Personally, I like the higher mount as it gives me a more heads up position and is infinitely more comfortable with my bad back. When using my LPVO as a red dot the height over bore doesn't really matter, I only have a slightly increased holdover. And I seldomly benchrest my rifle and shoot for groups, so lacking a perfectly ideal cheekweld also doesn't matter.

Correct because they were using them on carbines with 7" rails so the front bell on the Short-Dot had to be higher up. On longer rails the PEQ can be placed far enough forward it doesn't have to sit under part of the tube. Besides that 1.5" mounts are too low to use Short Dot in RDS mode comfortably.