Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: crush injury....graphic

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Field treatment for this would be wrapping it with gauze and possibly splinting it. While I'm sure quite painful, this is not even remotely an immediately life threatening injury. The only life threatening thing about this is the infection that could result.
    There's nothing to splint - it's a crush injury of the distal phalanx so field treatment is wrap it up and go to the doctor. It's a compound fracture, so irrigation, debridement, and antibiotics probably play a role. Definitive repair will take place after it settles down and they can be sure there's no infection.

Feedback Score
    Heal quickly.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    There's nothing to splint - it's a crush injury of the distal phalanx so field treatment is wrap it up and go to the doctor. It's a compound fracture, so irrigation, debridement, and antibiotics probably play a role. Definitive repair will take place after it settles down and they can be sure there's no infection.
    Depending on practice, in the field you'd buddy tape the finger then splint then entire hand to just keep it immobile and keep it from whacking into stuff.

My son had a similar injury, right middle finger, when he was about 3. The hand team pinned it in the ED under moderate sedation; said whether they did that or went to surgery there was the same chance he'd lose the distal finger so the mod sed procedure was safer (no anesthesia). He healed perfectly, has no feeling past the 2nd DIP but perfect motion and strength.

Feedback Score
    Hope you heal up soon. Thanks for the reminder of how easy it is to get hurt. Sometimes my son's roll their eyes when I stop and point out potential safety risks to them. I always tell them the same reply.. when you are old and ache in many places from injuries, you'll wish you would have listened haha.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123