Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: mid price range ar advice

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I wouldn't classify a Colt trigger as bad.
    It’s a GI trigger. They can range anywhere from ok to garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    ...a chamber that will safely shoot both with a bit better accuracy potential is the only thing that makes sense...
    A 223 Wylde chamber will let 5.56 spec ammo be fired safely, but whether or not it will result in better precision is only a theory. It may, it may not. Every barrel is a law unto itself. I have two colt barrels that give me good precision, even with blaster grade ammo. Colt uses the 5.56 chamber.

I do have a 223 Wylde chambered barrel that gives great precision with quality ammo. It's a quality barrel and came with a matched bolt. The precision of this barrel comes from more than just the 223 Wylde chambering.

...1/7 makes no sense...
    Radar testing by Sierra shows the 1/7 twist stabilizes their 69 gr MK bullet better than 1/8 and 1/8 stabilizes better than 1/9 and so on

maybe i'm FOS. so,flame away if so.
    Maybe so, but are you willing to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’s a GI trigger. They can range anywhere from ok to garbage.
    This is true. But with some cleaning, a bit of grease and a couple of dry firing tricks, a Colt trigger can be improved enough to be surprisingly good.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Bacause OP has an $800 budget for a complete rifle. If you think a trigger that is 25% of your rifle cost is going to be the deciding factor in you making a hit... i dont know what to tell you.
    Sorry, I wasn't talking to the OP, I got sidetracked by the back and forth between ubet and hammer man.

And no, I don't think this: 'think a trigger that is 25% of your rifle cost is going to be the deciding factor in you making a hit'

However, I don't think getting an ACT or the Sionics, BCM equivalent, or the LaRue MBT is a bad idea as one of the first improvements you make.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't talking to the OP, I got sidetracked by the back and forth between ubet and hammer man.

And no, I don't think this: 'think a trigger that is 25% of your rifle cost is going to be the deciding factor in you making a hit'

However, I don't think getting an ACT or the Sionics, BCM equivalent, or the LaRue MBT is a bad idea as one of the first improvements you make.
    Sounds like we’re on the same page. I see where you’re coming from with that context, just trying to bring it back to OPs situation.

Feedback Score
    Well in traditional M4C fashion:

OP; I want a rifle that is $800 and has this one specific feature I won't budge on.

Everyone else:

Spend an extra $300 and get a colt that doesn't have that feature

While there certainly is merit to that suggestion and I would agree in most cases, not every AR15 is for gun fighting/defensive purposes. For Joe Blow that is going to shoot <500 rounds a year, literally anything will do. If OP said this was going to be a defensive rifle, yes by all means get a colt. If this is just a plinker, why does it matter? Sometimes this place is too much of an echo chamber for it's own good.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Just get the aero from GandR. Reasonable quality. Check. Specified chamber. Check. $800 range. Check. Done. Make a good range gun/ gopher getter.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post

OP; I want a rifle that is $800 and has this one specific feature I won't budge on.

Everyone else:

While there certainly is merit to that suggestion and I would agree in most cases, not every AR15 is for gun fighting/defensive purposes. For Joe Blow that is going to shoot <500 rounds a year, literally anything will do. If OP said this was going to be a defensive rifle, yes by all means get a colt. If this is just a plinker, why does it matter? Sometimes this place is too much of an echo chamber for it's own good.
    Its more like:

OP: I want a rifle that is $800 and has this one specific feature I won't budge on

Forum: What is your intended purpose?
    OP: A rifle NOT for SHTF
    Forum: OK...

Forum: Why do you want a wylde chamber?
    OP: Because I heard its shoots .223 better from an "expert"

Forum: Why do you want a 1/8?
    OP: Because some gun shop myth bullshit thats untrue something something about tracers

Forum: Why do you want an 18" barrel, its limits your choices.
    OP: Cause its not for SHTF

Forum: Sounds like you have no idea what you really want or your choices are based on myths and bullshit, you are better off getting a Colt.
    tacticaldesire: THIS PLACE IS A COLT ECHO CHAMBER!!!!!!!!!

So let me get this straight, you have several knowledgeable members taking the time to ask the OP questions to try understand the reason behind his choices, realize some of them make zero sense like wanting a 1/8 because he doesnt shoot tracers...and realizing the OP is better off with a Colt because it will save him money.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-17-18 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Buy a Colt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post

A barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber is sized to be a bit larger than a .223 Remington chamber, but still smaller than a 5.56 chamber.
    If you look at reamer specs, this didn’t necessarily true.

Some (read:most) Wylde chambers are larger than 5.56 chambers, depending on who’s reamer.

The real difference in the classic Wylde chamber is the way at which it is throated, including overall free-bore and angle of engagement.

The Mark 12/SAM-R is typically a good chamber in 5.56 with match bullet accuracy in mind. However, all barrels are individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post

Everyone else:

Don't dare say NOT to get a colt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast