Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice with LR precision/hunting rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Advice with LR precision/hunting rifle

Im wanting to get into the long range shooting game. I am wanting a nice bolt rifle that I can shoot past 1000m, and use the same rifle for hunting basically any game in the US. Elk being the largest, but most hunting use will be mule deer, whitetail, hogs, and aoudad. I know the 6.5cm is the new hotness, but Im not sure it had the energy I would want down range taking a large ram or elk at distances 300m or longer. 300wm seems like a good choice, but I barely pass my hearing tests at work now, so I want to suppress whatever I get to something close to hearing safe at the ear. 26" win mag with a can seems really long to walk around hunting with.

What caliber and setup would you guys go with if you were in my shoes? I cant really afford 2 seperate setups. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP, are you planning to buy or load your own ammunition?

There are a lot of great cartridges out there that could fulfill your needs, but they are not going to be something that you can buy ammunition for.

If you plan to buy your ammunition then the 300wm would serve you well.

Tikka is making some excellent rifles for the $. If I were in your shoes I would be taking a hard look at the T3x Tactical in 300wm, slightly shorter barrel makse for a handier rifle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-...0-Win-Mag.aspx

I would suggest that you consider putting your $ into good glass and good electronic in the ear hearing protection instead of a can, but that is just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
    Last edited by masan; 06-16-18 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I dont have time to reload right now until my kids get a little older, so I will be using factory ammo. I took a good look at the Tikka CTR 6.5 with 20" barrel, but think Id benefit from more downrange energy. I didnt know they made a T3x in 300wm. Thanks, I will check that one out!

These look like hard to find rifles. They seem like just what Im looking for besides the barrel threads. Would you get a 5/8 thread adapter so I can suppress it, or just have it rethreaded? Wouldnt want to go lower than the 24" the barrel is already at.
    Last edited by lj_1187; 06-16-18 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    I would suggest that you consider putting your $ into good glass and good electronic in the ear hearing protection instead of a can, but that is just my 2 cents.
    I agree. I'm a one bolt gun shooter with one good scope. And lugging a 300 with even a titanium can would be brutal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lj_1187 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I dont have time to reload right now until my kids get a little older, so I will be using factory ammo. I took a good look at the Tikka CTR 6.5 with 20" barrel, but think Id benefit from more downrange energy. I didnt know they made a T3x in 300wm. Thanks, I will check that one out!

These look like hard to find rifles. They seem like just what Im looking for besides the barrel threads. Would you get a 5/8 thread adapter so I can suppress it, or just have it rethreaded? Wouldnt want to go lower than the 24" the barrel is already at.
    IMO, the 6.5 CTR w/ 20” barrel was what I was about to suggest. You’ll easily be out to 1000 yds and it has plenty of energy for 300+ yd shots on game. Plenty of elk killed with a 6.5. It’s light and handy enough to pack around the elk mountains, and the Tikka action is second to none for a non-custom action. Aftermarket support is there too.

You can also get the CTR in 24” bbl length too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When driven at 2800 fps, a Barnes 127 grain LRX BT has 1450 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards, which is adequate for Elk. The high sectional density will allow it to work even better than traditional 6.5 bullets, which have been used for Elk for many generations.

If the primary use is high volume precision shooting, I'd choose a 6.5 over a .30 magnum. I can put many rounds through my 30-338 in a range session, but it's not what I'd call pleasant.

A can? No way. Electronic ear protection for the win. A rifle with a 24-26" magnum/varmint/ profile barrel is heavy enough without adding additional weight at the end of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the bergara HMR in 6.5.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I already have a direct thread suppressor in jail for this rifle. Its fairly short and very light. Im a bit of a supprrssor snob I guess. My LGS has a 24" CTR 6.5 I may check out soon. If its too long I read 22" is a good compromise in 6.5cm from a barrel length/velocity standpoint. I could always have it cut.

Feedback Score
    Well you are not asking for much. Despite the interest in tactical guns and long range hunting....most hunting opportunities are just not at ranges you mention. I guess they can be but, I do not see them often enough to justify everything you specify in a gun......IMHO. I would check out Hill Country Rifles...Accurized Remington 700, Nosler Trophy Grade Rifle, GA Precision Non-Typical (This model would combine the qualities of a long range and a hunting Rifle}. Naturally, Great Glass...Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex...oh ok Nightforce. Rifle weight rifle is very important (that gets into a lengthy discussion on both accounts and then has to take in terrain, weather, your fitness, etc). To do what you describe...I would need two rifles. Achieving the performance you specify in one rifle would necessitate significant compromise on a long range/heavier/tactical rifle versus an accurate Sporter. GA Precision and Hill Country Rifle both build high quality tactical and sporter/hunting rifles. Accuracy is expensive. Buy once cry once. Caliber: I do not enjoy shooting .300 Win Mag...recoil, expensive, wears out barrels, etc. but it does bark here and bite yonder..it's just not fun. 6.5 has been adopted by SOCOM. Like i said you do not ask for much.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you want to kill elk, you need a 7mm Mag or 300 WM, yet I know people have killed Elk with a 243, and have dropped a T Rex at 7 yards with 22LR. Sack up and get a Mag and its not that hard to carry. But a range 30 cal is different than a Elk 30 cal. Two different guns in my safe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast