Thread: Irons with the MRO

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Irons with the MRO

My carbine is currently equipped with a set of DD fixed irons, but no optic. I'm definitely comfortable with the irons-only configuration and very much like the way a sub 7-pound carbine handles. That said, I'm interested in adding a Scalarworks MRO bundle (which will still keep the rifle under 7 pounds).

I'm leaning towards keeping the DD irons and rolling with a lower 1/3 co-witness mount for the MRO. In reading the various threads about the MRO, it seems some find it works better mounted further back, just in front of the rear sight. If anyone is running fixed irons with the MRO I'd like to know how that combination is working for you, and where you have the MRO mounted.

TIA for any insight (or photos)!

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lower 1/3 vs Exact co witness will matter more than where on your receiver you mount the optic. Running with fixed irons is popular with more than a couple shooters. Set it up one way, shoot it. See if it’s worth trying the other.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I prefer to mount the MRO as far forward as possible but I don't use fixed irons. My light rifle is set up with Bobro Lowriders. Like ggammell said... Move it around and see what works best for you.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Sights, as far back as possible. Red dot, as far forward as possible.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Lower 1/3 vs Exact co witness will matter more than where on your receiver you mount the optic. Running with fixed irons is popular with more than a couple shooters.
    I've used Aimpoints in absolute co-witness with folding BUIS before, but have never tried lower 1/3 before. I'm thinking it might be time to give it a try....
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If you want to keep the DD fixed iron sights, I would go with a lower 1/3 mount. I mount my MRO's forward to where the front edge of the MRO is flush with the front edge of the upper receiver.

Depending on your shooting style, build and where you place your check on the stock, you may need to move your MRO up or back a bit. Play with the position of your MRO until you find the sweet spot where you get the least amount of "tube effect" when looking through the optic. Once you've found the spot that works best for you, then go sight in the optic.

I purchased one of the Scalarworks MRO bundles when they were first introduced. It's lived up to my expectations. Both the mount and the MRO have been upgraded since I bought mine. But I highly recommend both the optic and the mount.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The aggressive squared up stance most shooters use with ARs these days is not very conducive to using a tight or even snug cheek-weld without scrunching the neck down and the shoulders up to get the sights in front of your eye.

Forget about the irons and get the optic up as high as you need to.