Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 or 43??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigeboyd View Post
    Next purchase will be a glock 43 or 42. I have never owned a 380 but is it worth getting invested into another caliber for just a slightly smaller package
    For what it's worth, there is an appreciable size difference. Here are some comparison pictures (they are not mine; I downloaded them long ago from a Google Image search while doing CCW research):

of should I just stick with the 9mm? I carry a glock 19 so this single stack would be for days where it's 100+ degrees and I want to wear loose shorts but the 19 is to heavy for that
    It depends.

1. Money

Do you have the resources to commit to another caliber? Does your local gunstore stock up on this caliber and/or do you have access to high quality self-defense rounds in a separate caliber?

2. Time

Do you have the time to train with a separate platform?

3. Environment

What is your threat environment? You mention 100+ degree days -- so I would imagine that folks tend not to wear big/bulky clothes (penetration being a real distinguishing factor between the two calibers)? But it goes beyond weather -- do you live a risky lifestyle (e.g. carry around a lot of cash, hang out late at night where alcohol/rough characters are involved, etc)?

I think that unless deep concealment is an issue, the Glock 43 is small enough for even pocket carry (with a good holster).

As for the .380 ACP itself, as was once famously said: "Some experts will say it's barely adequate, and others will say it's barely inadequate." Ayoob, Massad. (2007) The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. Krause Publications. Page 97. ISBN 0-89689-525-4.
    Last edited by butlers; 06-18-18 at 18:25.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards."
    William Francis Butler

Feedback Score
    I went with a 42 ( mine is very accurate and reliable)
    But got it prior to the availability of things like the shield 365 and 43. Got lucky ( meaning mine was a prize gun from a shooting match so free except holsters and spare magazines.) The key is to go to a shop that has both wearing your preferred hot weather clothing and try both. I have been carrying for about 30 years and find especially with deep cover pocket guns in some cases the 1/4” here or there makes the difference between “this will work just fine” to no way. I pocket carried my 42 today in shorts in 100+ degree Phoenix. An even marginally bigger gun might have been a no go.
    Remember rule one have a gun. Sure 9mm is significantly better from a ballistic standpoint, but only if you have it with you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have both for hot weather / ultra discreet carry.

Honestly the G43 gave me more troubles, but I think it was the aftermarket mags I was using.

But they both work 100%, the G42 from jump and the G43 once I ditched those mags.

Far prefer a G19 but rule (1) have a loaded gun.

ETA - I have Vedder Pocket Locker and IWB holsters for both. I find the G43 un-pocketable, just like the PPS. Too big & too heavy. G42 works fine - not a small as an LCP but you can shoot it much faster and accurately.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 06-18-18 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by butlers View Post
    For what it's worth, there is an appreciable size difference. Here are some comparison pictures (they are not mine; I downloaded them long ago from a Google Image search while doing CCW research):
    From those pics, the differences in size are actually less than I expected. Not appreciable enough to warrant the .380 when one can have, and should, have 9mm in terms of terminal performance. No doubt modern .380 JHP has improved in terminal ballistics but not to the point, but have not seen recent testing data that would justify its use as anything but the "better than nothing" Cooper Rule" category, though it sounds like some loads are getting close.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-19-18 at 14:11.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    From those pics, the differences in size are actually less than I expected. Not appreciable enough to warrant the .380 when one can have, and should, have 9mm in terms of terminal performance. No doubt modern .380 JHP has improved in terminal ballistics but not to the point, but have not seen recent testing data that would justify its use as anything but the "better than nothing" category, though it sounds like some loads are getting close.
    I've held one in each hand, and you're right: there's not that much difference. That is, until you talk about having one or the other under a light shirt in the summer, then the difference becomes more of an issue.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I've held one in each hand, and you're right: there's not that much difference. That is, until you talk about having one or the other under a light shirt in the summer, then the difference becomes more of an issue.
    It's hard for me to picture an occasion where I could not adequately conceal a Shield, unless people are wearing a baggy T, cargo shorts, and flip flops that differ that much from mine in the hot FL summer. I'm also one of those people who feels you could wear a LAW down your pants and people will not notice (cuz it's true...) and have no issues using other means, like fanny packs, bags, etc. I CCWd a full sized 1911 in all weather for a decade + and always found a way to conceal it in relative comfort. If i was going to CCW .380, probably still opt for FMJ.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Why go .380 when you can have 9mm in an almost identically sized package? I vote 43 and I carry one with taran tactical +1 baseplate.

Feedback Score
    Got the 43 last Friday. Bought an emo +2 but feel like it's too big, maybe good as a spare but not to conceal

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I bought a 42 this past Saturday and I love it. I wanted something that I can throw in my pocket and this sat slightly better than the 43. Also when it’s 100+ degrees out with 90% humidity it easily carries in a pair of cargo or board shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got the 43 last Friday. Bought an emo +2 but feel like it's too big, maybe good as a spare but not to conceal
    You seriously don't feel you can conceal the 43?!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast