Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some education on Federal Flite-Control Options

Feedback Score

Need some education on Federal Flite-Control Options

OK, so I'm looking into Federal's "Flite Control" ammo in various flavors.

I want it in 12 guage 00 Buck. My application is SD/HD. Benelli M4 with 7 + 1 + 1 capacity.

But now, my options have me a bit confuz-ed.

12 Gauge Federal Flite-Control 8 Pellet Buckshot Ammo

12 Gauge Federal LE12700 Buck Shot High Power ammo with Flite-Control Wad

12 gauge Federal Low Recoil 8 Pellet Buckshot FliteControl Wad ammo

What kind of sacrifice in performance am I looking at between these three options? That is, low recoil v. "regular" vs. "high power"?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Lets start with this based on part numbers, that way we're sure we're all talking about the same thing.

All of the FliteControl loads start with an "LE" prefix and typically end with "00" indicating the size of the pellet. "1B" does exist, but it's rare so let's skip it.

LE127 00 = Full power 9-pellet #00 buckshot with Flitecontrol
    LE132 00 = Reduced recoil 9-pellet #00 buckshot with Flitecontrol
    LE133 00 = Reduced recoil 8-pellet #00 buckshot with Flitecontrol

I actually can't find any part number for such a thing as a "full power" 8-pellet load. My understanding was that the reduced recoil 8-pellet load was born from a request from certain departments that wanted a tighter patterning buckshot load. 8 pellets is even less weight than 9 pellets so technically the recoil should be even less.

I pattern tested all those loads and a couple of others in my Remington 870s at the beginning of this year:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...hot-patterning

I liked shooting the 8-pellet reduced recoil, as well as the reduced recoil 9-pellet. Compared to the other they both felt much easier to keep on target for followup shots, and downright just pleasant to shoot.

My recommendation would be to pick up a couple boxes of full power and reduced recoil and pattern test them with your Benelli. If you've got a cylinder bore choke I would put that in.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Isn’t the Benelli an inertia operated system?

I swear I read where low recoil ammo gave it fits. Of course I can’t remember where I saw that so my 2 cents is only worth half.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Isn’t the Benelli an inertia operated system?

I swear I read where low recoil ammo gave it fits. Of course I can’t remember where I saw that so my 2 cents is only worth half.
    M4 is piston driven gas operated. It will feed anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At HD distances (inside 10 yards) Federal LE132 (9 pellet Reduced recoil) generally leaves one hole. So why would you consider dropping the wound channel of the 9th pellet for 8 pellet?

Actually, I'd look into getting some Federal LE1321B (reduced recoil 1 buck) according to the wound ballistics guys it is what you want. Unfortunately, it is rare as hen's teeth.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    At HD distances (inside 10 yards) Federal LE132 (9 pellet Reduced recoil) generally leaves one hole. So why would you consider dropping the wound channel of the 9th pellet for 8 pellet?

Actually, I'd look into getting some Federal LE1321B (reduced recoil 1 buck) according to the wound ballistics guys it is what you want. Unfortunately, it is rare as hen's teeth.
    I've never seen it for sale. But I did find some buffered #1 buck Winchester that patterns nice from my 590A1 at 10 yards and in so I'm loaded with that and Hornady Critical Defense (same wad as FC but full power) on the side saddle with a couple of slugs.

OP if you run Flight Control, you definitely want a cylinder bore. The pattern will be much tighter, it's pretty amazing actually.

Feedback Score
    You need cylinder bore for the flitecontrol to do its thing. Multiple independent tests have confirmed that choke constrictions will **** with the flite control and open up your pattern rather than tighten it, as it would with traditional loads.

Feedback Score
    Can you please explain what you mean? I have an M4 and I believe it comes with a choke installed, but also a tool too remove it.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for your comment

I think I found a video illustrating your point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkFcpL7UME

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Actually, I'd look into getting some Federal LE1321B (reduced recoil 1 buck) according to the wound ballistics guys it is what you want.
    I run the low recoil #1 buck in a pump happily.

Run a full power full load #1 in your Benelli if it works for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast