Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbon on the side of my brass?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Out of curiosity... What barrel and bolt are you running?
    Happens with multiple guns chambered in 5.56, I don't have any chambered in 223.

I'm using rcbs dies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like it is time to call RCBS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Happens with multiple guns chambered in 5.56, I don't have any chambered in 223.

I'm using rcbs dies.
    Interesting. Can you feel different amounts of force needed when you run the handle during resizing? I mean... I can feel it when I get a range pick up and I'm bumping the shoulder back more than normal.

I'm wondering if one of the guns is causing the issue and it's showing up in the others. Firing brass in an excess headspace chamber starts the failure. The separation can occur a few firings later in any gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have tried using Hornady and rcbs sizing dies. Same problem with both. So I assume it's not the sizing die itself causing the issue. My reloads measure the same headspace as factory ammo.
    I can't feel a difference when resizing brass from Different guns, it doesn't take much force at all with my press.
    I'm wondering if maybe it really is just the brass. I am going to try some brass that has been annealed and see if that fixes the problem.
    I'm also considering annealing the wolf brass as well since I have so much of it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Annealing might help a little. I mean... it'll soften the shoulder allowing the brass to expand easier.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Annealing might help a little. I mean... it'll soften the shoulder allowing the brass to expand easier.
    I'm going to test about 100 annealed federal cases with the same loads. I will report back when I have a chance to shoot them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That should be interesting. Most Federal brass has a fairly thin web. If the Federal outlasts the Wolf by a significant amount, that would point to the Wolf brass at the problem.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    OP what did you find out with the annealed brass? I'm really curious about this because I have the same issue with all my reloads as well. Like you I have a mixed assortment of brass that I reload and a few ARs chambered in 5.56 that I shoot it through. I use a weak load of 4064 though and I've never crimped a single reload either but idk if that has anything to do with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123