G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just inherited a LNIB S&W 3904. Questions & help needed, please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Attachment 52494
    If you only knew how long this took me. STICKMAN I AINT, but here you go.
    Also- the mag says 8 rounds..it will hold nine tho. Do the mags marked as nine rounders stick out from the bottom of frame, or are they flush?
    I do believe they are flush. one of the big changes from the three digit (439, 539, 639) to next generation four digits such as yours was the grips. the original 39 and the three digits had grips held in place with traditional grip screws, two one each side.

As you can see, the 3904 has snap on, one piece grips. They would fit flush with your grips, look a little odd with a 639.
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

“You are responsible for your actions, but the world doesn’t turn around you, so it’s important that you find something bigger than yourself to work for, a way for you to make a difference.” - Drew Dix, MOH VN '68

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Glad to help. Brownells has them too

They are flush fit.
    Thank you again...apprently I did NOT look "errwhere"!!
    " Be NOT ye afraid of them..
    Remember the Lord, for He is GREAT & TERRIBLE!
    FIGHT for your bretheren..for your sons & for your daughters,
    for your wives & for your households"!

Feedback Score
    I like the S&W39. Always felt good in my hand. The Illinois State Police adopted it in 1967.

Feedback Score
    These are a solid, dependable workhorse. I have a handful of double stack 9mm third gens and a couple of 10mm.

Inherited firearms are a mixed blessing.
    You lost someone, but have something to remember and honor them by.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I like the S&W39. Always felt good in my hand. The Illinois State Police adopted it in 1967.
    The SEAL's used them as well, Mk 22 Mod 0 'Hush puppy'
    E pluribus unum

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I had a S&W Model 39 issued to me when I first started, then a Model 439. They went down hard due to parts breakage every 3,000 to 4,000 rounds, probably due to the +P+ ammunition. People that rarely shot them had no complaints.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I had a S&W Model 39 issued to me when I first started, then a Model 439. They went down hard due to parts breakage every 3,000 to 4,000 rounds, probably due to the +P+ ammunition. People that rarely shot them had no complaints.
    That was why 'mine' lasted so good. we shot 147gr loaded to Hydra-Shok velocities as our range training ammo. At the time that was what we thought was the best duty round. We probably rode that pony too long.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-20-18 at 22:32.
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

“You are responsible for your actions, but the world doesn’t turn around you, so it’s important that you find something bigger than yourself to work for, a way for you to make a difference.” - Drew Dix, MOH VN '68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12