Thread: CMU-33 vest

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question CMU-33 vest

The issued pouches for this vest aren't much - HSGI and other aftermarket mfgs. surely make better - but I just stumbled across the vest itself, and find it intriguing. Mainly because, it offers a LOT more acreage for accoutrements, than a typical chestrig.

Is this a piece of kit WORTH investigating, or an invitation to trouble, given the temptation to fill UP all those molle slots!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    What all are you wanting to mount to your torso that one of the many chest rigs on the market can't handle?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

CMU-33 vest

I had a similar LBV and it didn’t take me long to sell it and build a Tactical Tailor chest rig with a 2 piece MAV. The MAV or 2 piece MAV give your more than enough room without having my upper torso covered in PALs webbing. I found my TT a little more cool AKA comfortable to wear than my old ACU LBV. If you want something you can open the 2 piece MAV gives you that. My chest rigs are also easier to put on and take off over my plate carrier than the LBV was.
    I think I ended up using mine as a fishing vest for a while before I ended up selling it.

I’d ask the same question LSHD asked - why are chest rigs (Tactical Tailor, Velocity, Beez etc.) not doing for you what this LBV supposedly does? And I’ll make one additional comment:

Like a rail on an AR, just because you have room doesn’t mean you need to hang “accoutrements” off of it.
    ::

There’s a reason chest rigs have evolved from LBV’s into lightweight kit like BFG’s Ten Speed rig and rigs from the manufacturers I’ve mentioned. (And there’s more.)

LBV for a Fishing vest? Sure. Fighting rig? Pass.

Not sure where you are with your gear and whatnot, but here’s a damn good read specific to chest rigs by one of our SME’s. It’s where I started and definitely led me down the right path.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-the-Chest-Rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 10-10-18 at 02:49.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

CMU-33 vest

I’m active duty Army and have never once wished that I had that much MOLLE real-estate. Those things are typically used by airsofters and preppers who don’t understand that you have to be able to prioritize in order to be effective. If you need that much space, you’re probably doing something wrong. The thread posted above is a good one. Chest rigs are a very good answer. If I need more than that on my immediate person then I add a dangler. If I were to need more combat equipment (mags, pistol, medical) then I grab my belt. If I can’t fit everything in one of those places, it’s on a bag on my back. Nowadays, there are several chest rigs that can be seamlessly incorporated into a plate carrier or a pack/rear bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-10-18 at 03:38.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    What all are you wanting to mount to your torso that one of the many chest rigs on the market can't handle?
    I don't. My old Eagle Industries M4 LE CCA suits me just fine. I just came across this, while actually looking for 1911 grips (I know... the strangeness that pops up in internet searches!) last night, and was intrigued by it.

The airsofter observation seems apt. I was thinking, IS IT something I'd WANT to recommend to somebody building a rig, or not? Consensus seems to be running towards, "not."
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -