Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Q Suppressors - Opinions ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The Q Thunder Chicken finally came in and I can offer some thoughts on it.

The taper mounting system is excellent.

The cherry bomb is a very effective brake, but also very concussive and flashy.

The cherry bomb is light weight at 1.7 oz, where other mounts are routinely in the 4 oz range.

This helps keep the overall weight down.

In this case the TC + CB is 16.4 oz, which seems to be the upper limit for handiness.

The trash panda is 13.5 oz all in.

I'd recommend the QD versions over the direct thread, as the brake acts as the first baffle, increasing the suppression effectiveness and reducing wear on the Ti blast baffle.

At the range, the thunder chicken is pretty impressive with 5.56.

5.56 sounds a lot like 22LR, maybe less.

The impact of the bullet into the dirt berm can be clearly heard over the action noise.

Back pressure is pretty low and works well with the OPTIMUM barrels.

Its absolute magic on the reduced gas port 11.5" CQB-SGD.

Full reliability with all ammo from M855 down to Wolf steel case and no gas to face or port pop.
    Great feedback! What 11.5” barrel are you using? Do your other host guns have AGs?
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Clint, do you guys have a trash panda? Im also looking forward to the release of the lefty.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No, just the TChx.

The Lefty does look good, with the low back pressure, heavy duty SBR rating and ~6" length.

The only downside is the weight at just over a pound, which is pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Clint, do you guys have a trash panda? I'm also looking forward to the release of the lefty.

Primarily the 11.5" BRT OPTIMUM CQB-S and BRT OPTIMUM CQB barrels.

We've also used it a little bit on the 16" OPTIMUM MPR barrel with excellent results.

We have over a dozen other "configuration test" uppers.

Some of them do use MicroTune Gas Blocks or EZTune Gas Tubes, so we can dial in the proper gas drive.

When time allows, we'll be comparing the suppressed performance of some standard configurations against the OPTIMUM barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Great feedback! What 11.5” barrel are you using? Do your other host guns have AGBs?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If any of your Q guys need another 1/2" Cherry Bomb, but don't need your 5/8" I'd be up for a trade. My 1/2" has never been mounted, but need another 5/8" for a 6.5. Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have now had my Q El Camino .22lr silencer and My Trash Panda.

The only gun the El Camino has been on is my Walther P22. Tons of fun, shoot it off my porch al the time at steel and have dispatched some furry intruders in the cabin with it.

The Trash Panda sits on my "Honeybadger-M4" creation. But in short its a traditional AR15 with a cut down BCM rial and a Q honey-badger barrel. The barrel is top notch. Very cool little gas block, its ajustable and uses a screw down collar to attach it, its also keyed. Having the taper on the barrel is very nice for the cherry bomb attachment. This package has really performed for me and I'm very happy with it.

I put the 5.56 cherry bomb that came with the trash panda on my recce build and its really nice.

The cherry bomb taper mount for the trash panda is excellent. Its easier to remove than the Surefire and AAC mounts because there is not buttons or latches to dick around with. It just screws off. Though I must say having right and threading on the muzzle device AND the suppressor is a solid fail and over sight, no question the threads on the trash panda should be left hand.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Though I must say having right and threading on the muzzle device AND the suppressor is a solid fail and over sight, no question the threads on the trash panda should be left hand.
    Why? if the cherry bomb is torqued to spec there shouldn't be an issue.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    Why? if the cherry bomb is torqued to spec there shouldn't be an issue.
    Kevin?, is that you?

Why, because it is incredibly simple to have done. There is exactly zero down side to having done so. Why not? I mean these are 'the best mostest innovative silencers ever, and every one else is stupid.', Well at least as according to Kevin B, the owner of Q. The man is anything but humble, his marketing consists of comparing his product to a usually apples to oranges competitors product and then belittling the other product and company. That attitude imo leaves no room for error, your stuff better be perfect if you are just going to talk sht all day.

The Trash Panda is great. I like it. That said its not perfect. In addition to both being right hand threads, there are no wrench flats on the cherry bomb muzzle device. So if it does come off in the suppressor there is no getting it out. Now to add to the danger, but also a nice little feature there is the ability to get a wrench on the back of the can, and a socket on the front. So to remove the suppressor stuck to the gun you can really torque on the suppressor, with absolutely nothing and no way to hold the muzzle device. You will be relying 100% on torque, rocksett and the hand of god to stop your stuck suppressor from taking off the muzzle device with it as you put all the torque you want on it.

In a perfect world its fine. If anything goes wrong its a full on f'ing disaster, and its a real possibility. There were two solutions to this. 1) Put wrench flats on the muzzle device or 2) a much more elegant and Q type thing, put opposite threads on the suppressor. This way you would be tightening the muzzle device every time you removed the can.

Saying "If the cherry bomb is torqued to spec there shouldn't be an issue." Is like suggesting no seat belt is needed as long as you don't crash your car.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Kevin?, is that you?

Why, because it is incredibly simple to have done. There is exactly zero down side to having done so. Why not? I mean these are 'the best mostest innovative silencers ever, and every one else is stupid.', Well at least as according to Kevin B, the owner of Q. The man is anything but humble, his marketing consists of comparing his product to a usually apples to oranges competitors product and then belittling the other product and company. That attitude imo leaves no room for error, your stuff better be perfect if you are just going to talk sht all day.

The Trash Panda is great. I like it. That said its not perfect. In addition to both being right hand threads, there are no wrench flats on the cherry bomb muzzle device. So if it does come off in the suppressor there is no getting it out. Now to add to the danger, but also a nice little feature there is the ability to get a wrench on the back of the can, and a socket on the front. So to remove the suppressor stuck to the gun you can really torque on the suppressor, with absolutely nothing and no way to hold the muzzle device. You will be relying 100% on torque, rocksett and the hand of god to stop your stuck suppressor from taking off the muzzle device with it as you put all the torque you want on it.

In a perfect world its fine. If anything goes wrong its a full on f'ing disaster, and its a real possibility. There were two solutions to this. 1) Put wrench flats on the muzzle device or 2) a much more elegant and Q type thing, put opposite threads on the suppressor. This way you would be tightening the muzzle device every time you removed the can.

Saying "If the cherry bomb is torqued to spec there shouldn't be an issue." Is like suggesting no seat belt is needed as long as you don't crash your car.
    Not making excuses for the thread direction, but if your Trash Panda gets stuck on the brake, clean the threads on your muzzle and brake, apply red Locktite or Rocksett, twist it on (not crazy), wait a day or two, and twist the can off.

Edit: I’d also like to point out that this problem is not unique to Q. Some of TBAC’s taper mounts look to be susceptible to the same problem, just looking at pics (I will delete if informed otherwise). I know that most of Griffin’s taper mounts have their wrench flats covered by the can, like Q taper mounts. They are made like this to mount the can as far back as possible, minimizing added length, one of the reasons I like my Griffin taper mounts. I just use Rocksett when installing.

Rugged, OSS, and Gunwerks look to have this particular issue figured out, and I’d be interested in seeing Rugged in particular produce adapter modules like the Q Plan B or Griffin Plan A.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-22-19 at 13:18. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Not making excuses for the thread direction, but if your Trash Panda gets stuck on the brake, clean the threads on your muzzle and brake, apply red Locktite or Rocksett, twist it on (not crazy), wait a day or two, and twist the can off.
    I agree. The answer to the whole problem is rockset in the beginning and at the end if needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I agree. The answer to the whole problem is rockset in the beginning and at the end if needed.
    I agree re-gluing the muzzle device to the muzzle is the only hope.

But I'm not overly optimistic its going to work. Two reasons, 1) you already overcame a theoretically torqued and glued muzzle device, indicating the suppressor is tighter to the muzzle device than spec is for the muzzle device to the barrel. 2) You can't torque on the muzzle device with it attached to the suppressor with out adding equal force to the threading from the muzzle device to the suppressor, why.... because they are both right hand threads and you would have to use the suppressor to tighten the muzzle device because there are no flats on the muzzle device...

Or you could have left hand threads on the suppressor.

Now I will say I've so far never had the suppressor get sticky on there, I have also never used a tool to attach it and only 'hand tighten' it. As Kevin loves to say "the taper is in the right place", theoretically it wont be subjected to gasses and stuck on, theoretically.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast