Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Q Suppressors - Opinions ?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Does the cherry bomb and can not have opposite thread patterns? Meaning, can you screw the cherry bomb off if the muzzle device is sealed to the can? That would suck. Hopefully they would have opposite threads so that if you unscrew the can from the muzzle device you are actually tightening the muzzle device. If that makes sense.
    They are both RH Threads.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Does the cherry bomb and can not have opposite thread patterns? Meaning, can you screw the cherry bomb off if the muzzle device is sealed to the can? That would suck. Hopefully they would have opposite threads so that if you unscrew the can from the muzzle device you are actually tightening the muzzle device. If that makes sense.
    They're both right hand threads. (ETA - Just saw it was already answered.)
    Last edited by paco ramirez; 07-08-18 at 00:54.
    Previously did all design work at CGS Group, 2014-2024.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lack of independent test data is holding me back.
    I remember back in the day when independent testing was a thing... it was highly overrated. I paid for titsworth’s service to test cans and it was pretty worthless. After spending a lot of money for the service and owning 10+ cans (AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, KAC, Q on the way), I have come to the conclusion that decibel rating isn’t all that important when compared to other factors.

That said, if you really want the testing, modern rifleman has a pretty massive database of data that includes Q’s cans.

https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/
    Last edited by GlocksInMySocks; 07-11-18 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlocksInMySocks View Post
    I remember back in the day when independent testing was a thing... it was highly overrated. I paid for titsworth’s service to test cans and it was pretty worthless. After spending a lot of money for the service and owning 10+ cans (AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, KAC, Q on the way), I have come to the conclusion that decibel rating isn’t all that important when compared to other factors.

That said, if you really want the testing, modern rifleman has a pretty massive database of data that includes Q’s cans.

Completely agree. IMO tone is far more of an issue than DB.

Feedback Score
    It's light weight and repeatable. You can also move the can from your fix to the honey badger without having to screw in a new thread adapter. The Q silencer can stay one strong welded piece. Nice if you buy into the whole system.

I was leaning towards one since I will get "The Fix" eventually. Might just get a CGS model instead. Impressive performance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember back in the day when independent testing was a thing... it was highly overrated. I paid for titsworth’s service to test cans and it was pretty worthless. After spending a lot of money for the service and owning 10+ cans (AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, KAC, Q on the way), I have come to the conclusion that decibel rating isn’t all that important when compared to other factors
    You say "I have come to the conclusion that decibel rating isn’t all that important" well you could not be more wrong. Spend $1000 on a 15-20 dB can and you will understand how important it is. Before Joe Sixpack had a meter, MFGs were putting out a lot of crap and making a lot of BS claims. Lots of 40+ dB reduction claims on cans getting 20 dB reduction. As a result MFGs got better (You can thank the independent testers of yester-year for that) and most cans are similar nowadays, except for the occasional slug. The most recent fiasco was the Sig 22 can. I think SS metered it at 125 dB. POS. The public shaming resulted in them pulling it from the market and redesigning it and releasing a new version (SRD22x).

As for Q, history repeats itself. Some good cans, some slugs, and way too much childish marketing.
    Last edited by Renegade; 07-11-18 at 14:02.

Feedback Score

That spreadsheet includes mostly improper meter data and should be disregarded as a reliable source of information. Silencer Shop doesn't use the correct meter, and neither does Military Arms Channel with the exception of his early videos. They both use a digital BK2270. Most digital meters lack the rise time and sample rate necessary to measure gun shots accurately, or even come close. The threads I've linked below address that particular meter, along with the Larson Davis LXT1-QPR which is also a pretty common incorrect meter used but it's actually marketed for gunshots, which it can't do accurately.

You'll need to confirm through MAC's earlier videos on YouTube and only use data from sessions with a BK2209.

When compared to a B&K 2209 (which does meet the spec), as manufacturers such as Thunder Beast have done, digital meters don't cut it. The BK2209 along with the Larson Davis 800B (analog meters) with the proper mics and stuff, while indeed older tech, are two of a very small handful that fit the bill for accurately measuring gunshots. There are maybe two digital meters that meet the spec. One is definitely the B&K Pulse system which costs $50,000-60,000.

If you're interested in learning about metering gunshots, read through these whole threads. The first one mostly starts toward the bottom. The second one starts almost immediately. You're looking for posts by "TBACRAY", "HansohnBrothers", "Mageever", and "RenegadeX".

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/-...482325/?page=1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/A...SR5/20-486373/

Also read through this (go to page 32 if you want to skip ahead): https://www.slideshare.net/ZetecNDT/...ic-inspections

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When will the Hyperion be available?

Quote Originally Posted by paco ramirez View Post
    You're right about that. There isn't a lot of independent test data, and even less data from independent sources with the proper Mil-Spec'ed meter.

Hansohn Brothers did this properly done independent test with their BK2209. It shows ours as well, but the Q is the only one for sale currently. I'm guessing the first round was lower than the rest due to ammo inconsistency, no one was sure what caused it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvFGap-fXk
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    When will the Hyperion be available?
    It'll probably be SHOT by the time we're caught up with other orders. The production variant will be visually different from what people have seen so far.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m also eyballing some Q cans, and am watching for “independent testing”. Specifically the Trash Panda and Half Nelson. However, my concern with lack of independent testing has nothing to do with professional sound metering. I’m sure it attenuates noise well enough for my purpose. I’m just waiting until there are more units in the wild, with users that can compare firsthand experience with other cans, and discuss possible issues.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast