Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt enhanced patrol rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdonley308 View Post
    Thank you for sharing that report. I hadn’t read that before. I respect the findings from NWSC and SOCOM. I just got off the phone with Armalite, nice people and very honest. The gentleman I spoke too told me the gas blocks on Armalites use 3 set screws. No dimples on the barrels, no red locktite. Looks like I’ll be dimpling my Barrels and Red locktiting my two Armalites when I get home. I also spoke to Colt via internet. They informed that the CCU and 6920’s use two tapered roll pins and drilled barrels to secure the gas block, the method I prefer as it’s bullet proof. Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles. I want to thank you for your feedback. I will be purchasing a CCU next week.
    Colt uses shaved down FSBs, BCM uses dimples and Loctite IIRC. Unfortunate about Armalite's gas block installation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Hey thanks for sharing your experience with the CCU. So those reports about the hand guard heating up, not so much? What was your rate of fire? How is your accuracy and what load does it like the most? Both my Colts really like the 5.56 75gr Hornady TAP T2.

I like the new Armalites since Strategic Armory Corp. bought them. Strategic Armory owns Surgeon Rifles, McMillan Rifles, Nexus Ammo and AWC suppressors. All very high end stuff. I have one of the new AR10 TAC18’s and a M15 LTC (Light Tactical Carbine) in 6.8spc. I didn’t touch the AR10 (beautiful rifle that tack drives and been 100% reliable). I I did replace the bolt in the LTC with an LMT Enhanced 6.8spc Bolt. I also replaced the trigger in the LTC with a SSA-E. The barrels on the Armalites are 4150, chrome Moly Valadium, double hand lapped chrome lined. Not worried about the barrel. I know the bolt is 158 Carpenter Steel, however these are batch tested and I’m not sure if the extractor is tool steel, so I would replace the bolt with a Colt or BCM bolt. All that being said I can get a LTC (6lbs!) in 5.56 for $750. With upgrading the trigger (which I’d have to do to the Colt and BCM) the bolt, adding a B5 butt stock and BCM GF Mod 3 pistol grip, I still come out $300 less than either the Colt or BCM. The Armalites in reviews are much more accurate than either the Colt or BCM. I guess that is attributed to the double hand lapping of the barrels? So an Armalite LTC is another option. At 6.0lbs it’s the lightest rifle. I know there isn’t allot of love for Armalite, but mine are a couple of nice rifles.

I like my Colts 6920’s. I like the BCM specs but I don’t like the accuracy reports. I know in practical accuracy the small .5-1moa difference isn’t noticeable. So I’m on the fence with these three still. The auction on my SGL21 doesn’t end until next week so I still have some time to ponder.

I’m welcoming anyone’s input and experience any of these rifles. Thanks
    I have first hand experience with inaccurate BCM. I have had 2 MK12 Mod 5 uppers and both couldn’t hold 3MOA with MK318, IMI262. BCM doesn’t doesn’t back their product. They give no accuracy Guarantee. I will never buy BCM again after their crappy customer service.

I have a Colt EPR and 6960. Solid rifles. They only need triggers.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Colt enhanced patrol rifle

I have no direct experience with the Armalite rifles, but I know enough they are not for me.

I think the CCU will be a good choice.

Like I said, I have not experienced issues with over heated handguards. Rate of fire? All reasonable rates of fire necessary in numerous, legit training courses of fire. It’s rare for me to shoot rapid fire of more than a 10 round string from time to time. In all instances of realistic training without gloves, I’ve never experienced an issue.

The accuracy is good. I now primarily use Wold Gold 55 gr and Magtech 62 gr for training ammo. For budget FMJ, the Wolf Gold has proven itself to be very reliable and accurate for us. Chrono’d MVs have been close to 5.56 velocity and consistent. The Magtech is less consistent but I like the heavier bullet. It has also been reliable. My CCU likes the Wolf better for accuracy but with both, 3-4 MOA seems to be the average with an LPVO (Razor HD Gen2 1-6 non-E). The groups come down nicely with the IMI Razor 69 or 77 gr OTM. I’ve been able to get the IMI down to 1-1.5 MOA at times. I do have a larue MBT trigger installed.

Hey thanks for sharing your experience with the CCU. So those reports about the hand guard heating up, not so much? What was your rate of fire? How is your accuracy and what load does it like the most? Both my Colts really like the 5.56 75gr Hornady TAP T2.

I’m welcoming anyone’s input and experience any of these rifles. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 05-02-19 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    Colt said the CCU goes though all the same QC and testing procedures as the 6920’s and Government contract rifles
    I'm just curious, did you hear this directly from Colt?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    I'm just curious, did you hear this directly from Colt?
    Yes, I contacted them through their website and Instagram. I asked about the testing of the barrels and bolts, as well as if the gas block was pinned, which it is, and I prefer. It sound like it’s basically a mid length 6920.

Feedback Score
    Wow. I’ve never overthought something so much that I’ve even considered calling a manufacturer. Just go to the range!

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
    Wow. I’ve never overthought something so much that I’ve even considered calling a manufacturer. Just go to the range!
    If more people did their due diligence there'd be a lot less ignorance in the world. Personally, I applaud him for asking pertinent questions before spending that kind of money on... well, anything to be honest. If he didn't talk to Armalite, he wouldn't have known that their gas block installation wasn't what he wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    If more people did their due diligence there'd be a lot less ignorance in the world. Personally, I applaud him for asking pertinent questions before spending that kind of money on... well, anything to be honest. If he didn't talk to Armalite, he wouldn't have known that their gas block installation wasn't what he wanted.
    Only AR’s I ever bought were 6920’s. Never had a weapon related malfunction in 3 Carbine courses and many 1,000rd days. Admittedly I run them dripping wet with Mobil 1 and live in Florida. When I get home I will be removing the gas blocks on both my Armalites to dimple the barrel and red locktite the set screws. For a rifle I would stake my life on, it will have a pinned gas block, MPI/Pressure tested barrel bolts, but that’s just me. With all the opinions by individuals with zero experience handling or firing the carbines I was interested in, it’s better to spend the time to contact the manufacturer to check on specifics. Had the 6960 not had a pinned gas block, MPI/Pressure tested barrel and bolts, I would have just purchased the LE6920-EPR. Actually I still might get the EPR if the price is the same.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Nevermind
    Last edited by 1168; 05-08-19 at 13:47. Reason: Delete

Feedback Score
    Well bought the 6960 CCU then just got this response from Strategic Armory Corp. today. This is a response to my question as to if their barrels and bolts are pressure and MPI tested.

Yes they are both MPI tested, we just haven’t marked them that way.

As a side note both the bolts and carriers are heat treated, shot peened, grip blast finished and have a manganese phosphate finish per 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171.

Thank you,

GLENN MINTON
    CUSTOMER SUPPORT | SALES

glenn@sacfirearms.com
    www.sacfirearms.com

However the gas blocks on the Armalites are secured with set screws. I just dimpled the barrel on my AR10 and red locktite the set screws on the gas block. I still have to do this to my Amalite LTC in 6.8spc. It baffles me that this isn’t done at the factory?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123