Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor decision... Omega .300 vs Saker ASR 556K

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Suppressor decision... Omega .300 vs Saker ASR 556K

So I've been wanting a suppressor for a long time. Finally taking the plunge. I have it narrowed down to these two suppressors. I have:

11.5" 5.56 AR for duty
    Two 16" 5.56 ARs for home
    18" 7.62 AR for long range
    20" retro 7.62 AR for retro-ness

All of them besides the retro already have SilencerCo ASR mounts on them.

I would like to get both of these suppressors. The 5.56K would mainly be on/with my duty rifle, but be able to be used on the 5.56 ARs. The Omega would be for everything at home.
    So which first? Can't afford both right now. If I got the 556K, it would go with my duty rifle, but I could bring it home whenever for just the 5.56 ARs. If I went with the Omega, I could get the flat end cap and use it on duty, and then still bring it home to use on everything.

The Omega costs more, and is slightly bigger.
    My main use would be to save my hearing on duty, and to allow me to recreationally shoot in areas where there may be neighbors.
    My primary concerns, in order, are size, POI shift, weight, gas blowback, sound reduction, durability under rapid fire.
    I would only use this with the ASR QD mount, never direct thread.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by masakari; 10-05-17 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I realize you're already set up with ASR mounts but personally I don't like it. I took advantage of SilencerCo swapping out Trifecta mounts for ASR mounts not long ago. The teeth on one of the muzzle brakes they sent me would allow the can to screw off even with the ring tightened. Also, one of the rentals (rifle w/silencer) at the shop where I work uses the ASR system and the teeth on that one were worn down to nothing a good while ago so they don't hold the can on. IMO the teeth are too fine which makes them too easy to damage/wear down.

For my Saker I finally changed it out to the Dead Air Key-mo system which I feel is much better.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have been contemplating literally the exact same choice. Heading to the shop today to order.

I went with the 556k. I do not have the 7.62 considerations and don't plan on it. If i ever decide to get into it, i will likely have the $$$ for a 7.62 can.

In your case, id go with the Omega first then the 556k. It can be used on everything up front. And in case something happens and you can't spring for the 556k later on, you've still got something you can use on everything.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Double
    Last edited by ginzomatic; 10-05-17 at 11:53. Reason: DP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    So I've been wanting a suppressor for a long time. Finally taking the plunge. I have it narrowed down to these two suppressors. I have:

11.5" 5.56 AR for duty
    Two 16" 5.56 ARs for home
    18" 7.62 AR for long range
    20" retro 7.62 AR for retro-ness

All of them besides the retro already have SilencerCo ASR mounts on them.

I would like to get both of these suppressors. The 5.56K would mainly be on/with my duty rifle, but be able to be used on the 5.56 ARs. The Omega would be for everything at home.
    So which first? Can't afford both right now. If I got the 556K, it would go with my duty rifle, but I could bring it home whenever for just the 5.56 ARs. If I went with the Omega, I could get the flat end cap and use it on duty, and then still bring it home to use on everything.

The Omega costs more, and is slightly bigger.
    My main use would be to save my hearing on duty, and to allow me to recreationally shoot in areas where there may be neighbors.
    My primary concerns, in order, are size, POI shift, weight, sound reduction, extreme durability / rapid fire.
    I would only use this with the ASR QD mount, never direct thread.
    Thoughts?
    I think the 300 would serve you the best all-around. Get that one first. My stamp just came back for the 300 and am still waiting for my K to come back, same deal as you; went with the 300 first!
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    ^ I did the same. I use my Omega with direct-thread mounts on bolt guns mostly so having the Saker set up for only 5.56 AR's is convenient. No issues with the ASR mounts yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Suppressor decision... Omega .300 vs Saker ASR 556K

For AR use I would get the Omega. I want the largest acceptable can I can get without being ridiculous.

The AR just doesn't suppress well especially a 11.5. If your indoors or in your patrol car forget about it. It will be better then nothing for sure but don't expect for it to be comfortable after the adrenaline stops.

A 16 inch gun outdoors isn't that bad but under a roof it's still piercing to the ears.

With all of that being said I'm 13 months waiting on my Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 10-05-17 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I went Omega 300 first and love the can. My 556K is still in jail.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Maybe you are dead set on those particular options, but I would take a hard look at replacing the 556k with the sandman-k. I agree with the post above about the key-mo system. I would get the sandman-k for your 'duty use rugged' can, and get the omega and the key-mo and use the keymount devices from dead air. I have a sandman-s and a key-mo coming for my saker 556. If you can jump on the sandman-k right now, they have the 'HPA' pricing that makes it really a pretty good deal. It being .30 cal, you can also immediately use it on everything you have.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    Maybe you are dead set on those particular options, but I would take a hard look at replacing the 556k with the sandman-k. I agree with the post above about the key-mo system. I would get the sandman-k for your 'duty use rugged' can, and get the omega and the key-mo and use the keymount devices from dead air. I have a sandman-s and a key-mo coming for my saker 556. If you can jump on the sandman-k right now, they have the 'HPA' pricing that makes it really a pretty good deal. It being .30 cal, you can also immediately use it on everything you have.
    Considering that I already have Trifecta ASR mounts on 4 rifles, I'm not really interested in buying all new muzzle devices.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast