Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet Seating Question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe he could just try a new expander ball? Or just get a new die. Would only cost 20 bucks or so.

However it would be best to just measure the brass as someone else suggested. I would also measure the bullets. Maybe they are out of spec or being seated too deep?

Sounds like a really crumby issue to have.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    Maybe he could just try a new expander ball?
    I hate expander balls. The give you neck runout and case stretch. Horribly abusive to brass if you want accuracy. For blaster ammo, ok. I trim way less material off of my necks without the expander.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The biggest cause of neck run out is when the expander is locked down off center.

Below is a new RCBS expander all you need to do is polish the expander and lube the inside of the case neck.

If you want to reduce neck run out even more then try a Forster full length benchrest die with their high mounted floating expander.

Below the Forster die holds and centers the case neck when the expander enters the case neck. Meaning the Forster dies will not and can not pull the case necks off center and induce neck run out.

Below I replaced all my RCBS dies expanders with Forster expander and spindle units to greatly reduce neck run out.

Below I fitted a modified Forster expander to my Redding .243 full length die. I never understood why Redding had such a long expander that created so much drag and pull on the case neck.

Bottom line, I have expander dies but the Forster dies give the same or less neck run out so why size the case in two operations.

Below a dry neck lube for reloaders not wanting to use wet lubes that must be removed. The powdered graphite is nothing more than very fine powdered carbon and it will replace any carbon removed during case tumbling or case cleaning.

The secret to not pulling your case necks is a little lube, and not acting like a Ewok.

Last edited by bigedp51; 06-26-18 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    I’m not a fan of expander balls either. I use a Forster full length sizing die that’s been honed down .004 with the expander ball pulled out. Then use a carbide neck turning mandrel to set neck tension to .002. I feel this way is works the brass the least and concentricity is around .001-.002.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey&beer View Post
    I’m not a fan of expander balls either. I use a Forster full length sizing die that’s been honed down .004 with the expander ball pulled out. Then use a carbide neck turning mandrel to set neck tension to .002. I feel this way is works the brass the least and concentricity is around .001-.002.
    I had a buddy who was going to do something similar.... machine his die so that no neck expansion was needed.

I still get some runout with the neck expander die. But it's greatly reduced, and case stretch is eliminated. For me, it's the perfect balance of quality vs. extra effort.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12