Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My experience removing NFA items from the registry

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

My experience removing NFA items from the registry

I contacted my local PD today to inquire about turning in my suppressors and SBRs for destruction. They said they will give me, on a signed letterhead, paperwork noting that I've turned the items in by serial number, make, and model.

I then called the NFA branch (the same # you call to inquire about status updates) and asked if I could send them that information in order to get my name removed from the registry. The guy said that there is no requirement to notify them, but it is recommended in case any of the firearms end up used in a crime. I told them there was no way (barring any unscrupulous LE dealings) that these would be used in a crime because they'd be destroyed, and my concern rest more upon having to prove to some LE agency in the future that I do not still own these if there is an outright confiscation. The guy seemed a little uncomfortable with my question, although I didn't phrase it in some tinfoil hat sort of way, and side stepped when I asked if my name would ever really be eliminated from the registry.

I guess they just update it and say "He no longer has these items. Here's the proof" but you're still in that file...wherever it may be. I found that pretty interesting considering FOPA states:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

Thinking out loud here, but given that text it seems that FOPA does not apply to the NFA registry as it was established before the date of the enactment of FOPA. Interesting.

He also said after further convo, that I could send the NFA branch a letter stating that I destroyed the items myself. I found that very interesting.

ETA: Trying to sell T1s, ACOGs, PVS14s, G19s w/ RMRs, and other quality kit at gun shows and on local online ads is depressing. Like, these people have never heard of Aimpoint or Trijicon or anything. I legit had a guy ask me why I was asking $500 for a T1 when "The Bushnell I have is just as good as, brand new, and it was like $70 at Wal-Mart". How can someone find an online classified page but not know of any websites that discuss Aimpoint? I couldn't imagine trying to sell NFA items, so it's easier to do it this way.

Note: I made a thread about this a while ago where I made a gross comment toward a respectable member of the site, and I apologize to you.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-23-18 at 17:30.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Can't speak to the NFA stuff but selling gear locally is an eye opener for sure. The just as good as crew come out in force with their low-ball offers. Better off listing here for knowledgeable people to buy. Or worst case, eBay for accessories like red dots etc.

Edit: just curious, what's the end state for you? Carbine and a handgun for zen like gun status or getting out of shooting altogether?
    Last edited by Vegas; 07-23-18 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    You will also find that right now, unless you heavily discount stuff, it sits for a while. I think all the tax return fun money is run dry, Christmas bonus money is also long gone, and with it being summer and folks traveling, big ticket items are slow selling. Best of luck in your endeavors.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

He also said after further convo, that I could send the NFA branch a letter stating that I destroyed the items myself. I found that very interesting.
    This is really interesting. I wonder if the guy was correct in the self-destruction comment and if you need a “piece of proof”....

ETA: Trying to sell T1s, ACOGs, PVS14s, G19s w/ RMRs, and other quality kit at gun shows and on local online ads is depressing. Like, these people have never heard of Aimpoint or Trijicon or anything. I legit had a guy ask me why I was asking $500 for a T1 when "The Bushnell I have is just as good as, brand new, and it was like $70 at Wal-Mart". How can someone find an online classified page but not know of any websites that discuss Aimpoint? I couldn't imagine trying to sell NFA items, so it's easier to do it this way.

I’ve been experiencing this myself as week. In discussing with a couple of friends the general consensus is:

1. It’s summer and people are spending $$ on vacation and other family related things.

2. We are now seeing prices go down on inventories that were increased some, dramatically in the event TB HRC was elected. Thus it’s really difficult to sell items for what any of us here would call a “good deal”. And have to resort to either lowering our prices to a point where we feel like we’re giving it away, or just keep it. I know 3 years ago there were items I sold within 25 minutes, that today are still sitting out on the E&E for 20% + less what I sold 3 yrs and are still just not moving. If there is action, it’s a low ball offer so disgustingly low you want to bitch slap the guy.
    And I’m not even selling ACOGs, but barrels, rails, triggers etc. Stuff that’s not hat expensive.

It is definitely a buyers market. It will be interesting to see if it stabilizes and trends up a little, or if it stays this way until the republicans lose the White House.

Oh and your experience may be different but I have never really found gun shows to be good places to sell quality gear. Seems most shows here in Bell County have more lower end stuff -A.K.A. Crap.... especially with optics/lasers/sighting systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Why are you selling and destroying everything?

FOPA does not apply to the NFRTR.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hello all,
    Wow I can't imagine coming to a point where I would consider destroying my meager collection of NFA items. It has been a considerable investment of money and time waiting on approvals from the NFA branch. As of this moment I am 7 months in on a form 1 and a form 4. When I did finally get into the NFA game back in 2007 I pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be married to these items for life. I realize you can replace a short barrel with a legal length and send notification to the NFA branch but when I went in, I went all in. This is no small reason why I went with a trust. My wife and I sat down with our sons and explained what I was having drawn up and the expectations of them to be kept on the trust and the reasons I chose to set things up that way. After all after my death what care do I have with what they do with their inheritance? Yes, each of us has different circumstances and this was a subject I have thought of but never gave much thought to. As far as selling any other items such as optics or any other firearms related items down here in San Antonio, the gun shows are THE worst place to try and unload quality gear. Sellers ask outrageous prices and buyers low ball you to frustration. For me the one thing I continually keep an eye out for are optics as I upgrade to better quality as funds allow and deals on ammo and reloading supplies. Gents have a safe evening and good shooting.

Feedback Score
    Can you just sell them to a police department in need? Gov agencies can register any NFA item they acquired through any means on a Form 10 if I recall. Lots of seized guns get put to use that way.

ETA: yes it’s a form 10, they put “abandoned by lawful owner” in box seven.
    Last edited by eightmillimeter; 07-24-18 at 01:11. Reason: Added information

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Why are you not selling the SBR's and suppressors rather than destroying them? I am unsure as to why all of this seems to be some big Hollywood production. If you don't want them, cut them up and take pictures.

I am unsure as to why you don't split the SBR's and sell the lower off (since it is no longer an NFA item) and then sell the uppers online or elsewhere (assuming they are AR based).

Used NFA items can still have some value to them. You are also picking the worst time of year to do stuff other than Christmas time, summer is bad for training and firearms related sales, etc.. in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I contacted my local PD today to inquire about turning in my suppressors and SBRs for destruction. They said they will give me, on a signed letterhead, paperwork noting that I've turned the items in by serial number, make, and model.

I then called the NFA branch (the same # you call to inquire about status updates) and asked if I could send them that information in order to get my name removed from the registry. The guy said that there is no requirement to notify them, but it is recommended in case any of the firearms end up used in a crime. I told them there was no way (barring any unscrupulous LE dealings) that these would be used in a crime because they'd be destroyed, and my concern rest more upon having to prove to some LE agency in the future that I do not still own these if there is an outright confiscation. The guy seemed a little uncomfortable with my question, although I didn't phrase it in some tinfoil hat sort of way, and side stepped when I asked if my name would ever really be eliminated from the registry.

I guess they just update it and say "He no longer has these items. Here's the proof" but you're still in that file...wherever it may be. I found that pretty interesting considering FOPA states:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

Thinking out loud here, but given that text it seems that FOPA does not apply to the NFA registry as it was established before the date of the enactment of FOPA. Interesting.

Note: I made a thread about this a while ago where I made a gross comment toward a respectable member of the site, and I apologize to you.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've seen NFA stuff for sale on my local classifieds from time to time and it doesn't appear to be a huge deal to do a transfer, but I am NFA ignorant. If nothing else wouldn't a gun store be willing to pay something for them and then they would be transferred to that FFL? I would think most places would happily give you $50 for each item, which is obviously more than you'll get from just turning them in. Or is there more of a philosophical/theological aspect to turning everything in? If that's the case ignore my post.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, you are pretty much doing it wrong - but you seem to enjoy burning money and it's a free country - so 'carry on'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast