Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: Silencerco Omega 300 Owner FeedBack

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would encourage you to listen to all the Q&A** podcasts. Especially the one with Mike Pappas - https://soundcloud.com/user-67208219...d-air-armament

FYI - Kevin is a bit of a narcissist but he kinda has the right to be.

Feedback Score
    The outer Ti sleeve on mine did come loose but it has "relocked" solid probably from carbon lock. I haven't had the problem of endcap or ASR mount coming loose but did have both stuck. I won't say that it's the best due to I only have it and 7.62 SpecWar in 30 cal. I used silver antiseize when I take off endcap and replace them. I use it on 8.5, 12.5 300 B.O. and 10 in and up on 5.56, 308 on 18 in barrels. I have shot few 7.62x39 out of it but only a AR platform. I haven't seen any erosion problem but do use muzzle brakes on some rifles if not most.
    Maybe not the best 30 cal suppressor but works for me. I'll be seeing how it works out with NVGs and thermal sight soon. After that I maybe looking for another one.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I would encourage you to listen to all the Q&A** podcasts. Especially the one with Mike Pappas - https://soundcloud.com/user-67208219...d-air-armament

FYI - Kevin is a bit of a narcissist but he kinda has the right to be.
    Started listening to it. I did not know he was fired from SilencerCo! He sounds stoned

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have two Omegas, both were originally directly mounted to short 5.56 ARs, one a 10.5" barrel, the other an 11.5" barrel and I've put a couple thousand rounds through both. I don't remove the Omegas often, but haven't noticed much erosion. I did replace the 10.5" barrel with an 11.5" barrel because I like the trajectory from the longer barrel better.

Recently, I replaced one direct mount with the ASR because I have been switching one Omega between the 11.5" 5.56 and the 308 caliber S&W M&P-10. The other remains a direct thread. I have not had any problems with the ASR coming loose.

The titanium sleeve on both Omegas came loose early on after getting them hot from shooting. I haven't done anything about it except tighten them up now and then. Any part that is loosened for any reason, will come loose when the Omega gets hot. I keep an eye on them and tighten things up as needed. After a couple of times tightening them, the parts stay tightened- until I loosen them up again.

What I like about the Omega is the direct thread option. The Omega weighs 14oz with the direct thread cap. There are other silencers that weigh as little as 14oz, but the mount adds another 4oz or more. (The Omega with the ASR end cap and ASR QD mount weighs 19oz. The ASR mount also adds to the overall length of the mounted Omega.) I do feel the difference in weight and length comparing the direct mount Omega with the ASR mounted Omega.

Outdoors, the shorty ARs with the Omegas are much quieter than without. They're comfortable to shoot without hearing protection when out hunting, or when "stump shooting". But I wouldn't shoot a full day of drills without hearing protection. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still buy the Omegas.

I've shot and heard other silencers. While I think any quality silencer will work, keep in my hearing is damaged from years of gunfire and working on aircraft.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-11-18 at 19:06.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Not to derail my own thread but what is as light or lighter AND as short or shorter than this omega 300 that’s also rated for fa AND short barrel AND has 135db or better?
    I think there is a difference between the manufacturer saying it's rated for FA down to a certain barrel length and providing a warranty for such (and nobody is questioning SiCo's warranty), and the can actually being suitable for that.

Based on my own experiences and reports from others using other attachment methods, my opinion is that the 3 prong flash hider may lead to accelerated wear, even on non-SBR barrels. If I had known that beforehand, I would have bought a different can.

I do wonder what difference we'd see with a much shorter 3-prong, or with the old SWR A2 style flash hiders. This could be nothing more than an issue with the design of the flash hider.
    Last edited by boltcatch; 07-13-18 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boltcatch View Post
    I think there is a difference between the manufacturer saying it's rated for FA down to a certain barrel length and providing a warranty for such (and nobody is questioning SiCo's warranty), and the can actually being suitable for that.

Based on my own experiences and reports from others using other attachment methods, my opinion is that the 3 prong flash hider may lead to accelerated wear, even on non-SBR barrels. If I had known that beforehand, I would have bought a different can.

I do wonder what difference we'd see with a much shorter 3-prong, or with the old SWR A2 style flash hiders. This could be nothing more than an issue with the design of the flash hider.
    So you're saying running the break is easier on the can? Ofc it would follow so would be direct mount?

Feedback Score
    I have a 7.62 Omega and 7.62 Saker. They are like two different musical instruments with distinct sound characteristics. Seems the Saker is quieter than the Omega with a 6.5 Grendel, but on a bolt gun shooting 300 BLK subs, I can’t imagine a can that would sound “better” than the Omega. The tone, the decibels, it’s just the right can for that particular job.

Go figure.

So, my Omega lives on my Mod 7/AAC, 300 BLK pretty much permanently. It’s job is to silence the sound of 8.5 grains of powder pushing 240 grains of copper through pigs, and it loves its job.

I have used it on my SBR 300 BLK but can’t speak to the differences between it and the Saker as I didn’t do side by side comparison.

I like mine a lot. Would I buy another one? Probably not. I already have one. I also wouldn’t sell this one (if we lived in a world where you could easily sell them). I’d try another brand of can. See what else is out there. I wouldn’t buy two identical Gibson guitars, why buy two identical cans. I believe (and maybe I am off a bit) that some cans just sound better on different guns.

If you are afraid you will go wrong with it, well, you probably won’t. It’s a solid choice. But there are a lot of good cans out there, and a lot of choices and a lot of good advice here.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Blackout View Post
    I believe (and maybe I am off a bit) that some cans just sound better on different guns.
    You are correct. dB reduction is completely different than how cans sound. Some cans just sound amazing on specific guns, and not so good on others. Factor in hearing damage, preference in tone, etc... and it gets very complicated. I can tell you the Omega is more quiet than the Saker 762, and the Saker ASR 762 is more quiet than the Omega... but how that translates to your brain and if they sound "good" or not is personal preference.

Feedback Score
    I went to New Mexico to hunt Antelope last year. I had two uppers in 6.5 Grendel (24” & 18”). One was tried and true, (bloodied the prior year by a nice 350 yard poke at a goat,) but it was long as a baseball bat. I built a second 18” one but time caught up with me and I didn’t have time to test it, so I took them both.

In camp I was shooting both and my buddy said, “Dude, that one is a lot quieter.” Pointing to the Saker ... Go figure right?

I’m not saying this to disagree with you, but to agree with you in that there are so many factors at play that make up what constitutes “quiet”. Caliber, barrel length, where he was standing, the Omega end cap baffles probably had something to do with it too.

I didn’t use that 18” Grendel on that hunt. Me and my buddy both found and stalked some big goats with my 24” Grendel and the Saker. Looking forward to this year. Going to try that 18” again. 24”+ can is a long gun to stalk goats with. 18 is too, but every inch helps.

Feedback Score
    I agree--- I do a fair amount of longer range hunting and run a 24" barrel on one rifle, and an 18 on another. The 18" is long, but completely manageable to hike around with and shoot off a tripod. The 24" is a bit big for hiking any significant distances.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast