Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .357: ruger gp100 or Smith 686?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.357: ruger gp100 or Smith 686?

I will soon buy either one in six inch, 6 shot configuration. Purpose is casual shooting. I handload and want to shoot some maximum loads. Which should I get, and why?

Feedback Score
    The Ruger is always overbuilt and will handle the heaviest loads. You can do the GP-100 or Redhawk in 357. I’d guess the Redhawk 357 would be the beefiest of all.

For precision shooting, however, the trigger of a Smith is unrivaled for the modern revolvers. I have a 586 L-Comp and 627 8 shot.

I’d pick the Smith, personally. Even with trigger work, the Ruger is doable, but not the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I have a Cougar that was built by the Davis company back in the day. Cougar is a Colt Phython barrel on Ruger Security Six. The action job they did on this revolver was so good, that within 6 months I sold my S&W full bore PPC pistol.

So I would get the Ruger and an action job

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Smith will be just fine. The Ruger has to be overbuilt due to it's construction. If it was built to size of S&W it wouldn't handle the caliber it was made for.

Get the Smith, or get the Ruger. Doesn't really matter

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've always preferred Smiths, even have a 686 with the dreaded lock - so far, so good, though I've never hammered it hard.

If you are trigger snob (guilty), the Smith is the better choice, though people like Gemini Customs has a great reputation for what they do with Ruger triggers.

All the being said, I've been more than happy with my WC GP100. Heard some say the extra frame thickness on the Rugers doesn't make them any stronger than the S&W and is a byproduct of production. Not sure, but both the L-frame and GP series are strong enough to take full-house .357's as that is what they were designed for, each "upgrading" more svelte models.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only have one ruger revolver at this point and its the 10mm one which doesn't stack up to my sw 610 10mm revolver despite being heavier the ruger has more felt recoil and to me isn't as accurate. I've shot a few ruger 357's but have never been impressed compared to my 686's.

I do have a few 686 guns. I love them and they would be my recommendation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always hear how overbuilt the GP100 is, and for a steady diet of full power .357 it’s plenty strong (so is the 686). But there’s a reason the S&W 69, which is built on the exact same frame as the 686, is offered in .44 mag while the GP100 is only offered in .44 Special. Hint: cast is not as strong as forged...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you will be happy with either one. However, my first choice would be a very nice used 686. If you have the time to look it's worth it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does the lock cause reliability problems, or is the objection just aesthetics?

Whichever I get, I hope it's more reliable than my new $1700 Springfield 1911 . . . jam jam jam.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 06-25-18 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Does the lock cause reliability problems, or is the objection just aesthetics?

Whichever I get, I hope it's more reliable than my new $1700 Springfield 1911 . . . jam jam jam.
    It's both. Lots of people don't like them simply because of the look but also there have been instances where the lock engaged from recoil or worse locked up solid and needed gunsmithing. However it's mostly just the look. And like the mag safety on HiPowers, the lock can be removed without effecting internals

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast