Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .357: ruger gp100 or Smith 686?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The answer to the revolver question is always a S&W, or Korth. Rugers are for poverty stricken white trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I prefer the Ruger for the ease of disassembly and tough lock up. And no ugly lock.

I had a GP100 years ago, a couple sp101's, and a couple S&W's. Had an eight shot .357 s&w, forget the model number. It was a bit big for me. Trigger wasn't very good and needed work.

It's much easier to polish parts and install lighter springs in the Rugers.

I'd like to have a match champion sp101 4 inch as a woods/travel gun. Might do it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Seems to be an applies and oranges thing. I have had both, liked both. One is more compact, one easier to conceal, etc. I ended up with the 686 4" which suits my needs as a revolver I have no plans to conceal, and prefer the extra size. Both seem pretty bomb proof build wise. Cosmetically, the 686 is better looking, but it's no Colt Python
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have the lock on many revolvers. Where over 2000 rounds on most of them and I have never had to lock engage.

As a comment/aside to the 1911 comment:
    I have had 2 Kimber 1911s. Both were unreliable. I have phoned Wilson, and Brown, gun crafter and colt without issues though.
    I could have told ya that before you purchased. It's a mystery to me why anyone would purchase a Kimber 1911. Just sayin'
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I could have told ya that before you purchased. It's a mystery to me why anyone would purchase a Kimber 1911. Just sayin'
    I carried a Kimber compact .45 for 20 years. It'd feed all shapes and weights of ammo. Never a bobble. I used Wilson mags. Maybe Kimber's quality is declining lately?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Fired 100 rounds in 686 today. 13.0 grains AA9 and Speer 158 grain jsp. Recoil was tamed by six inch lugged barrel and rubber grips. This gun is much fun to shoot. It'll give my 1911s serious competition as a range toy. It really is cool.

Feedback Score
    I got a GP100, although in .44 special.

Took it apart. It was clean inside. Only a small amount assembly grease. Cleaned it up and gently polished a few things. (felt rotary wheel, finest rouge) This really made a difference. I didn't even do everything I could have because I didn't feel like taking apart the trigger assembly. I haven't changed the main spring / trigger return spring for slightly lighter ones yet, but I will. It's usable as-is, but there would be less fatigue with lighter springs.

SO much easier to work with than a S&W.

This is my first 3 inch barrel revolver and I can really see the appeal! It handles faster than I expected it too. Good sight radius, concealable if desired, decent ballistics.

Haven't fired it yet.

Hey, whaddya know? Post 1000.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-06-18 at 16:15. Reason: Post 1000!

Feedback Score
    I have a S@W model 10 and a Security Six . They are different yet to me both nice. Try both .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Now it's time to get serious.

I've loaded up fifty rounds of serious .357. AA9, 13.8 grains pushing a Speer 158 grain JSP. This is shown as a top load by Accurate, but my previous loads were a bit under that with zero signs of pressure. Published data shows it running about 1350 and I figure if so, it ought to run that fast out of my six inch 686.

We'll see how that works out.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Or any 1911. Even the hand made m45a1 guns that were submitted for testing averaged only around 500 MRBS. I've owned Colt, Baer, and Wilson, too. To a one they were not trustworthy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast