Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer detent pin broke

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Buffer detent pin broke

It finally happened—I broke a Colt detent in my 1980 16” SP1 carbine. Nothing major was damaged, but my range trip was cut short. I was using Federal XM193, but I don’t think it matters.

Now I have a spare parts kit (never had one before that I took to the range) but have looked at HK & Leitner-Wise “Heavy Duty” detent.

Anyone with any experience with the heavy duty or HK version? I’m not sure the HK will work with Colt.

Alternatively, I replace springs every 5k rounds, but never had a maintenance schedule for pins—anyone with insight on this matter?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    It finally happened—I broke a Colt detent in my 1980 16” SP1 carbine. Nothing major was damaged, but my range trip was cut short. I was using Federal XM193, but I don’t think it matters.

Now I have a spare parts kit (never had one before that I took to the range) but have looked at HK & Leitner-Wise “Heavy Duty” detent.

Anyone with any experience with the heavy duty or HK version? I’m not sure the HK will work with Colt.

Alternatively, I replace springs every 5k rounds, but never had a maintenance schedule for pins—anyone with insight on this matter?
    The only time the buffer touches the pin is when the receivers are open or separated. All the pin does is retain the spring. It serves no other purpose. I' can tell you the quickest way to break one... Break open the gun with the bolt locked back.

Feedback Score
    I was shooting & the gun locked up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did your buffer tube loosen causing the pin to pop out?

Feedback Score
    The tit sheared off

Feedback Score
    The detent pin should not be contacting the buffer during shooting, but in some rifles it may which can cause this breakage. Maybe this happened to the OP. You can check for this, when closing an upper onto a lower, you should be able to see the rear of the bolt carrier contact the buffer, pushing the buffer off of the pin. With this in mind, the buffer detent pin isn't a part that should wear out or need PM replacement schedule, or to be heavy duty. Does your buffer have evidence of hitting the pin over and over?

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the buffer detent isn't needed like said before.

It shouldn't have tied up the rifle, unless the little tit got some place it can't fit into like the FCG.

I had a National Match Service Rifle that for some reason, never discovered by me the liked to break them, four times. Everytime the little tit would end up in the FCG, of course during rapid fire.

I sold that rifle, without the detent, full disclosure to buyer. It ran fine without the buffer detent.

I never did figure out what was causing the breakage.... everything looked fine. But I can tell you that it ran without the buffer detent and after going down in a lag match, that's how I ran it until I sold it.

Feedback Score
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1
    So you are repeating the same thing 4-5 of us said (different words) after calling us out for doing it??? BTW, what is your first language? Maybe it's a translation thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post

rngr1
    The hinge point is below the buffer and carrier plane of alignment. This allows the carrier to close onto the buffer face while simultaneously pushing the buffer rearwards and off of the dentent.

In simpler words, the detent holds the buffer when the ar is open. The bolt carrier holds the buffer when the ar is closed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast