Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buffer detent pin broke

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    I tried one & it doesn’t work. It sits too high & needs to be modified.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1
    When I first read this, I suspected it was just trolling. Could it be real?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1
    Whether it's trolling or not, let's address this:

Detente: variation of détente. the relaxation of strained relations or tensions (as between nations)

Detent: a device (such as a catch, dog, or spring-operated ball) for positioning and holding one mechanical part in relation to another in a manner such that the device can be released by force applied to one of the parts

Feedback Score
    I have seen it alleged that some semi auto bolt carriers are shorter than proper carriers; I've never measured or compared, and cannot attest to the veracity of this claim. OP, can you measure your carrier, or compare it to a known good one? If this theory holds up, and someone swapped an undersized carrier into your rifle, I could see how the short carrier would allow the buffer to impinge on the detent with the rifle in battery. Even without measuring, you can watch carefully as you close the upper to the lower, to see if the carrier pushes the buffer back or not. If everything is in spec you should see just enough movement to get the buffer off the detent. If it does not, expect more broken detents.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234