Thread: Magazines or Mag Well

Feedback Score

Magazines or Mag Well

Got a new Springfield Saint Edge. Seems like a really nice gun - well made and all. First time fooling around with it my son noticed the mag did not drop out - had to pull. Tried about 20 different mags. Only 4 would drop - 3 metal Palmetto State Armory and a Gen M3 Pmag, also the 10 round D&H that came with my P516. All the M2 Pmags fail to drop. Looking close I can see a tight area in the magwell. The long white mark at the end of the red line. Never had an issue with the P516 Sig. Should I just sit in front of the TV with some sandpaper and work on the mags or send it back to Springfield (big PIA)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    SA will probably tell you to try Mil Spec magazines before sending it back.

Feedback Score
    One of my lowers was kind of tight, would only drop free when straight up and down.
    After a few hundred dry fire reloads, i never had one stick again.

Depends on how tight it is. If there is resistance, try sending it back, or at least call. If they are barely hanging in there, it will wear in.

Edit: if i read it right, all aluminum mags drop? If so, i would just run it as is.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-25-18 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    I measured all the ones that fit tight against the ones that drop no problem. All the PMAG Gen2 MOE are 0.010" bigger. See pix. I don't know what a mil spec magazines would be. I guess I thought they were all the same. All the metal ones and the GenM3 drop out, so I have 5 that work to my satisfaction. In all my mags, I cannot locate the one that came with the gun - mostlikely got in my son's bag last weekend.

Feedback Score
    FWIW all my gen 2 windowed PMAGs are so tight I had to file them down just to fit my RRA lowers. They still don’t drop free.
    But when I picked up one of their D60 drums they fit like a glove, no filing.
    I asked Magpul and they said the gen 3s and the D60 are spec’d a bit smaller.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    FWIW all my gen 2 windowed PMAGs are so tight I had to file them down just to fit my RRA lowers. They still don’t drop free.
    But when I picked up one of their D60 drums they fit like a glove, no filing.
    I asked Magpul and they said the gen 3s and the D60 are spec’d a bit smaller.
    Right. My one Gen 3 works just fine. I just ordered a few extra of the Palmetto State Armory which are the original D&H like what came with my Sig. They clear very well in the Saint Edge. I'll continue to use the Gen 2 plastic in the Sig.

Feedback Score
    As it turns out, all the 10 Gen M2 that are oversize by 0.010" are from the same shipment from Midway purchased Jan. '17. See image of 3 mags. Top is a Gen M3 that fits. I sat down while watching TV and filed and sanded the 10 that are oversize (see 2nd mag) along the front surface to fit and drop when released empty. The 3rd mag is a Tapco that had to have some of the raised flange removed to clear the beveled and flared mag well so it would allow locking. Apparently the magwell of the Springfield Armory Saint Edge is just tighter than some other rifles.