Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm sizing issue?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

9mm sizing issue?

So today I had a round that wouldn't chamber, I would guess it was protruding .1". Cleared it and carried on no issues. When I got home, pulled the bullet, resized the case, loaded the same bullet, same result. I measured the bullet with the calipers, 0.3545". Took at different case, loaded the same bullet which chambered no issue. When all was said and done, after a bit of testing, I identified two cases, PPU and CBC, that had the same issue. No problems with Win, Speer, Federal etc. So what gives? Thicker walled brass? And if so, can I adjust my sizing die to aid with this?

Loading was done on a Dillon 550 and Dillon dies. Gun was a Shield.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Two things you never see pistol shooter do.
    1. Trim their cases
    2. Anneal their cases.

When you crimp the longer cases the case mouth can bulge below the crimp and prevent it from chambering.

Lee makes a factory crimp die with a carbide ring in its base and this is a cheat for people who do not trim their pistol cases.

If the longer cases bulge below the crimp the Lee FCD carbide ring will size the bulge and the case will chamber.

Lee also makes undersize dies that size the case .002 to .003 smaller in diameter than a standard die.

The undersized dies help with older well used cases with more spring back after sizing and thinner walled cases and mixed range pickup brass.

I bought 500 once fired military WCC 9mm cases that had thin case walls and the undersized die cured the bullet grip problem.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 06-25-18 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    To add some more detail I didn't think of, I'm loading 147gr JHP's and do not apply any crimp. The case is belled just slightly enough to allow the bullet to sit for seating. This same set up has loaded thousands of 115gr FMJ's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    To add some more detail I didn't think of, I'm loading 147gr JHP's and do not apply any crimp. The case is belled just slightly enough to allow the bullet to sit for seating. This same set up has loaded thousands of 115gr FMJ's.
    That’s your problem right there! You have to remove the bell after seating the bullet! Either by crimping with the seating die or in a separate step with a lee factory crimp die or equivalent. You don’t want the bell!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terraMODA View Post
    That’s your problem right there! You have to remove the bell after seating the bullet! Either by crimping with the seating die or in a separate step with a lee factory crimp die or equivalent. You don’t want the bell!
    That's it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

Below no taper crimp with the case mouth larger in diameter due to case mouth flare.

Below a taper crimp and the case mouth streamlined for easy chambering.

Last edited by bigedp51; 06-26-18 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve had 9mm CBC cases that had an internal “shelf” (presume it was designed to prevent bullet setback) that made it impossible to properly seat the bullets I was using.
    Look inside the case and see if there is a step, or noticeable thickening at the web.

I sort through 9mm brass before loading now and pitch the CBC and a lot of other “off brand” brass.
    Life’s too short to screw around. Range brass is cheap.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Some great info in this thread, thanks for everyone's input. Need to digest but will quickly say my brass is about 1/3 my own and 2/3 range pickup. I may have to go through and toss the CBC brass amongst them. Interestingly, the PPU chambered fine in a Sig P239.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In the case of my CBC experience I can only assume it was originally loaded with-and designed for a 115 gr FMJ. (It was range PU brass)
    I was loading 147 GD bullets. By trying to seat close to SAAMI spec for COAL, the cases internal shelf/thickened web made it impossible to stuff the longer bullet shank into the case without swelling the base of the case.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    In the case of my CBC experience I can only assume it was originally loaded with-and designed for a 115 gr FMJ. (It was range PU brass)
    I was loading 147 GD bullets. By trying to seat close to SAAMI spec for COAL, the cases internal shelf/thickened web made it impossible to stuff the longer bullet shank into the case without swelling the base of the case.
    That's interesting. I loaded to 1.125 which is the factory spec for Federal HST. The 147's I'm loading are pulled HST. Some of the other rounds I loaded for test were in the 1.15-1.155 range with no issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast