Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm sizing issue?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep, makes sense.
    The longer rds must have positioned the base of bullet above the shelf/thicker web.
    I lengthen leades in my 1911 9’s so I can load long; 1.140”+ (with 124 JHPs-range ammo).
    I have less “issues” with handloads and they feed more reliably in that platform.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This may not be directly relevant, but I use a four-die set on both revolver and semi-auto loads.

1. Size and decap.
    2. Expand / flare and prime.
    3. Seat
    4. Crimp

This means the seating and crimping are two separate operations. I believe this minimizes any possible inconsistencies.

Use a very slight taper crimp on semi-auto rounds. Just enough to remove the bell from the expander stage die. A taper crimp does not substitute for case tension on the bullet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I figure a picture might help. The two on the left won't chamber, the one on the right will.

I went back and pulled a round with CBC brass that wouldn't chamber, double checked the sizing die for correct sizing, set up the 4th station crimp die and then reloaded it. Same result. Then in further testing, got the same result with a piece of Tula brass I found. Interesting thing is, running over the CBC brass with a caliper at various points seems to produce the same measurements as a piece of Win brass that was good. Gotta say I am stumped. Only thing left for me to do is try those same CBC cases with a 115gr bullet and see if the issue is replicated.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yep, makes sense.
    The longer rds must have positioned the base of bullet above the shelf/thicker web.
    I lengthen leades in my 1911 9’s so I can load long; 1.140”+ (with 124 JHPs-range ammo).
    I have less “issues” with handloads and they feed more reliably in that platform.
    Tried a CBC case with a 1.15" OAL and no dice.
    Last edited by Vegas; 06-27-18 at 02:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dunno all of my 147 loads look like a coke bottle and they all chamber check fine in my CZ’s. I also use nothing but range pickup brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A couple of observations-

First; from your most recent photo it appears there is still some flair at the case mouth from the belling/powder station. Assuming I am seeing this accurately I would add additional Taper crimp to remove any flair/belling at case mouth. Do you seat and crimp in separate stations/with separate dies?

Second; I have no experience with S&W's M&P guns. It is possible they may have short, or leades too close to chamber mouth for what you're loading.
    (CZ's as example are known to have (or used to have) this issue. The few CZ's I've loaded for required a COAL of 1.110 to 1.125" (JHPs) to chamber.)

I would eliminate variables, or problems, one at a time.

Are all three cartridges above same brass?
    Are they all precisely same length?
    If you apply additional Taper crimp to the two that won't chamber, will they chamber after additional crimp is applied?
    Have, or can you "drop check" loaded ammo in barrel to determine if it's a short leade problem?
    If you pull bullets from cartridge that won't chamber and load a 115 gr. FMJ in that brass, will it chamber now ( to eliminate the long shank/thick web theory)?

What you are describing ("issues wise") still causes me to believe your issue(s) are thick webbed brass using a long shank 147 gr. bullet, Taper Crimp, or a short leade.
    You DID mention at beginning of post that you have loaded thousands of 115 FMJ's with no issues. This points to "long shank 147's and thick web brass".

Guess the short answer is; if you can't figure it out- stick with what you know will work (brass wise), and put the rest of the problem brass in the scrap can.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unless I'm missing something, your crimp isn't enough. Try the Lee Factory Crimp Die and I'll bet your issue will be at least partly if not totally resolved. Like several others here, I've loaded thousands of rounds with range pickup brass, all different kinds of bullets and fired in multiple pistols and never had the issue.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with "this or that piece of brass chambers and this one won't." Your loading operation should be solid enough that it shouldn't matter what brass you use.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, your crimp isn't enough. Try the Lee Factory Crimp Die and I'll bet your issue will be at least partly if not totally resolved. Like several others here, I've loaded thousands of rounds with range pickup brass, all different kinds of bullets and fired in multiple pistols and never had the issue.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with "this or that piece of brass chambers and this one won't." Your loading operation should be solid enough that it shouldn't matter what brass you use.
    You would think but the evidence suggests otherwise. Are you saying the Dillon crimp die is no good? What is your experience with it?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with Dillons pistol dies, crimp or otherwise.
    I’ve used them for 30 yrs.
    When I shot competitively I loaded substantially over 250K rds (.38 Super and .45 ACP) on a 1050.
    After competitive shooting I’ve used 550 and 650’s with no issues.

I’ll add that I’ve loaded over 30K 9mm in the last 3 years. Only ammo related issues have been with a few backward primers (operator error with primer PU tube) and the fore mentioned CBC brass.
    Last edited by gaijin; 06-27-18 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    You would think but the evidence suggests otherwise. Are you saying the Dillon crimp die is no good? What is your experience with it?
    All I'm saying is the Lee FCD has a ring at the bottom which ensures a cartridge is below factory chamber spec so you have reliable feeding. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer's crimping die having this.

You can read about other's experience using crimp dies other than the FCD and you'll see some mixed reviews with reports of cartridges failing the plunk test. Rarely if ever have I seen this complain with the FCD.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    But like somebody else mentioned, it doesn't look like you have enough crimp adjustment with your die. Maybe adjust your crimp die down some more and see what happens.

Have you tried using a case gauge?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast