Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP: Junk or Jewel?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Mine was completely reliable, easy to shoot and carry. A little snappy but I didn't think it was that bad, I did add a Hogue grip on it. The only other mod I did was paint a white dot on the front. Compared to my previous Kel-Tec the LCP was a dream. Only reason I sold it was a friend wanted / needed it more than me. I can't say I'm not tempted by the looks of the newest versions though. One of the few Ruger autos that actually look good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Originally bouhgt one for the wife. While it was reliable, it had a dreadful trigger and not really any suitable sights. Ended up selling it after 2 years of purse or pocket carry. It's replacement is a shield in 9mm. Couldnt be happier. I hated that the LCP was a 380. I like standardized ammunition.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently purchased a Ruger LCP Custom which has upgraded sights and trigger. I am amazed at the accuracy of this pistol out to 25 yards. I had 8 or 9 failures to return to battery in the first 100 rounds using Remington UMC ammo. A tap of the magazine returned the slide to battery and I was able to continue firing it. I have put 200 rounds of WWB and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ammo through it with no malfunctions. I'm hoping it was a break in issue or that the pistol doesn't run well on the Remington UMC ammo. Has anyone found that their LCP was sensitive to different brands of ammo?

Another 100-200 rounds of trouble free shooting and I will start to carry it as a backup on duty.

Feedback Score
    If you have an LCP, do yourself a favor and get a heavier recoil spring. It’s cheap and easy to install.

It will improve the felt recoil and will also increase the reliability of it especially when chambering hollow points.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod42416.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip. I may just do that. Mine works perfectly right out of the box with Federal 95 grain FMJ, but a little extra recoil spring might not hurt.

I use FMJ only, because I think that with marginal rounds, certain penetration is better than iffy expansion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine's been a jewel. I've pocket carried it for several years. Had a few FTFs when first new - since then, it's been running fine. Great little BUG for my G19.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had an LCP for about 5 years. Can't say for certain because I've paid little attention to it. No complaints though, when I have shot it it has been flawless. Hard for me to shoot very accurately at range with its six hundred yard trigger pull, but I've always figured that it's a gun I won't plan on using until I'm practically sticking into someone's eyeball or ear.

In my opinion, its usefulness has been supplanted by the G43. If I'm going to handle a snappy single-stack, I'd prefer to be up to full power 9mm para. The G43 is obviously bigger, and doesn't quit fit into a pocket as the LCP does, but since I've had the G43 the LCP has sat in the safe. I'm not sure I would spend much time or money on one now, but I would have taken the deal that OP had as well.

Feedback Score
    I sort of negate complaints about the sights. It's a belly gun. It's the gun you draw when avoiding the fight is not an option--like if the perp is already in your face.

I plan to stick to hollow points with rounder nose profiles, but I may study up some more on FMJ vs. expanding bullets. I know in the past I've read articles that some people are of the opinion that .380 is fine with ball ammo because of penetration and lack of reliability with hollow points.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    In one adventure/spy novel I read as a young man a secondary character carried a Browning .25acp. When questioned about his decision he replied that no one questioned the caliber of the gun that was making loud noises at them in a gun fight. They all either run or take cover. .
    I never thought of it that way. I don't envision bad guys NOT taking cover or running when shot at.

Feedback Score
    My LCP has been flawless. Dispenses Underwood XTPs and EPs just fine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast