Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP: Junk or Jewel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Ruger LCP: Junk or Jewel?

Well, in a few days of posting my request for opinions on the EC9s, I actually managed to snag a Ruger LCP from a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays.

I haven't even fired it yet. It came with three mags and a shitload of ammo so I thought I'd roll the dice at 200 bucks.

Anybody care to expound on the virtues and/or faults of this teenie weenie pistol?

I'm liking the size. I've got my fingers crossed it's reliable and not a jam-o-matic joke.

It IS one of the second generation LCP's (no dash in the serial number)--but my experience with 380's has been, shall we say, un-thrilling.

What say you? Junk or jewel?

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    They can be a bit snappy when shooting and therefore tough to keep a solid grip because of the small size. I would recommend the LCP Hogue grip for it. It makes a huge difference. That and the finger extension on the mag.

Feedback Score
    I have a first gen LCP with 1200 rnds through it..(no joke) mine has been surprisingly reliable?!? With everything from WWB to hollows..the trigger in mine has a weird..double reset thing going on, that takes some getting used to..but otherwise a fun little pistol, & great backup to your backup!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I've posted before, I really like shooting my LCP. I got mine through Cabela's a couple years ago, they were deeply discounted and I had Cabela's bucks so what the heck.

This stuff was on sale, I'm on my fourth or fifth box: https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...4.uts?slotId=2

I use these for carry: https://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-...MO/1838183.uts

Here are two reviews: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/amm...0-acp-v-crown/

https://www.policeone.com/police-pro...n-in-380-Auto/

My ammo choices were based on the bulk stuff being on sale and the SIG Elite 90gr JHP because the practice stuff was labeled the same. As I mentioned, this was a spur of the moment decision, so I hadn't researched the HD ammo. The SIG Elite 90 JHP was reasonably priced so I picked up three boxes - to make sure it fed and to load mags. Later when I looked for reviews of the ammo, I was happy with my choice.

Once I knew the pistol functioned with the HD ammo, I ceased shooting it and have shot nothing but the 100gr Sig stuff, it is not so costly that I cant smuggle a carton of 200 whenever I need.

I have 4 mags for the LCP - two Ruger 7 round extended mags, and two with pinky floorplates. I leave one pinky and one of the extended loaded with HD rounds and use the other two for shooting.

The extended mags fit my hand perfectly - my pinky is not in contact with the mag at all - what I call the pinky floorplate has the gentle hook thing going and it aggravates me because it doesn't completely contact my ring finger. A smooth floorplate would be worthless, you'd be shooting the pistol with the same as a one finger grip.

Initially I shoot the first rounds from 5 yards. Impressed, moved back, impressed, moved back more, impressed. At 25 yards I was keeping them in the 10 inch upper center mass circle of our basic academy qual target - not saying perfect, but very few fliers.

Gripping the LCP was pretty intuitive, as I said with the 7 round extended grip my middle and ring finger are nicely supported and the grip ends 'just right' for my pinky to feel comfortable. I am able to grip it with the strong thumb almost parallel to the barrel and the support thumb parallel to the barrel resting/wedging against the frame rail - the tip of my thumb is pretty much level with the end of the slide. I roll my elbows out and up which roll the hands into the frame of the pistol. The whole thing is pretty much a Rob Vogel type grip with an itty bitty pistol. Works surprisingly well, the heels of my hands are together, and the overlap on the left side of the pistol doesn't interfere with getting on the trigger (I'm left handed).

I'm an old DA revolver shooter who made the transition to DA/SA pistols and then to striker-fired, so the DA trigger doesn't bother me at all. I shoot it okay one handed, but not as well at distance.

This is also not a pistol you are going to bust off .20 splits with, at least I am not.

My has a solid serial number - no dashes. It gets cleaned pretty regularly because I wont carry a dirty firearm. Nothing seems to be getting chewed up. Probably need to be thinking a bout a new recoil spring and maybe getting some spare parts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As I've posted before, I really like shooting my LCP. I got mine through Cabela's a couple years ago, they were deeply discounted and I had Cabela's bucks so what the heck.

This stuff was on sale, I'm on my fourth or fifth box: https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...4.uts?slotId=2

I use these for carry: https://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-...MO/1838183.uts

Here are two reviews: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/amm...0-acp-v-crown/

https://www.policeone.com/police-pro...n-in-380-Auto/

My ammo choices were based on the bulk stuff being on sale and the SIG Elite 90gr JHP because the practice stuff was labeled the same. As I mentioned, this was a spur of the moment decision, so I hadn't researched the HD ammo. The SIG Elite 90 JHP was reasonably priced so I picked up three boxes - to make sure it fed and to load mags. Later when I looked for reviews of the ammo, I was happy with my choice.

Once I knew the pistol functioned with the HD ammo, I ceased shooting it and have shot nothing but the 100gr Sig stuff, it is not so costly that I cant smuggle a carton of 200 whenever I need.

I have 4 mags for the LCP - two Ruger 7 round extended mags, and two with pinky floorplates. I leave one pinky and one of the extended loaded with HD rounds and use the other two for shooting.

The extended mags fit my hand perfectly - my pinky is not in contact with the mag at all - what I call the pinky floorplate has the gentle hook thing going and it aggravates me because it doesn't completely contact my ring finger. A smooth floorplate would be worthless, you'd be shooting the pistol with the same as a one finger grip.

Initially I shoot the first rounds from 5 yards. Impressed, moved back, impressed, moved back more, impressed. At 25 yards I was keeping them in the 10 inch upper center mass circle of our basic academy qual target - not saying perfect, but very few fliers.

Gripping the LCP was pretty intuitive, as I said with the 7 round extended grip my middle and ring finger are nicely supported and the grip ends 'just right' for my pinky to feel comfortable. I am able to grip it with the strong thumb almost parallel to the barrel and the support thumb parallel to the barrel resting/wedging against the frame rail - the tip of my thumb is pretty much level with the end of the slide. I roll my elbows out and up which roll the hands into the frame of the pistol. The whole thing is pretty much a Rob Vogel type grip with an itty bitty pistol. Works surprisingly well, the heels of my hands are together, and the overlap on the left side of the pistol doesn't interfere with getting on the trigger (I'm left handed).

I'm an old DA revolver shooter who made the transition to DA/SA pistols and then to striker-fired, so the DA trigger doesn't bother me at all. I shoot it okay one handed, but not as well at distance.

This is also not a pistol you are going to bust off .20 splits with, at least I am not.

My has a solid serial number - no dashes. It gets cleaned pretty regularly because I wont carry a dirty firearm. Nothing seems to be getting chewed up. Probably need to be thinking a bout a new recoil spring and maybe getting some spare parts.
    Great info. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I somehow ended up with two when they were authorized for carry and they have been surprisingly reliable with both our original XTP then Lawman 90gr TMJ duty ammo. It gets pretty linty on my ankle and pocket and every few months when I shoot them with no attempt at cleaning they cycle fine. I do blow them out whenever I remember which isn't often.

I painted the minimal sites red and can make hits on 10" steel at 50Y better than 50%. I even plink on 25" steel at 100Y. Obviously unrealistic for use but shows the accuracy potential. As previously stated the long DAO trigger precludes fast splits and you have to train to make sure you get a reset.

They work. Quoting the great Hilton Yam they are just fine as a "Seven and RUN" gun, although I think running is better started around number 2 or 3!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recently bought one, for the specific purpose of carrying whilst doing athletic stuff. Fits that slot perfectly.

Cleaned, lubed (CLP), took it to the range. Fired Federal American Eagle and Estate Cartridge 95 grain FMJ. Not a hiccup. Totally trustworthy. It's a gun to carry when you can't carry anything bigger. Cost me $300 including extra magazines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    It's a gun to carry when you can't carry anything bigger.

Yep. Exactly why I wanted it. Fits in my breast pocket for Pete's sake. Around here we have warm to hot weather about 8 months out of the year and you just don't want to try to CCW a large pistol with light summer clothing. My Glock 17 is my house and ranch handgun. Like everyone always says, "Better the small gun you carry than the larger one you had to leave at home."

Feedback Score
    In one adventure/spy novel I read as a young man a secondary character carried a Browning .25acp. When questioned about his decision he replied that no one questioned the caliber of the gun that was making loud noises at them in a gun fight. They all either run or take cover.

We had 5 or 6 guys carry LCP pistols as off duty / backup pistols and that model also regularly showed up at the CCW classes we offered to the public. I don’t remember any of them being problematic. Except that no one seemed to own more than one magazine and it was a PITA to hold up the firing line while they reloaded every six or seven rounds. Even the J frame guys knew enough to bring speedloaders.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    In one adventure/spy novel I read as a young man a secondary character carried a Browning .25acp. When questioned about his decision he replied that no one questioned the caliber of the gun that was making loud noises at them in a gun fight. They all either run or take cover. .
    I never thought of it that way. I don't envision bad guys NOT taking cover or running when shot at.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast