Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP: Junk or Jewel?

Feedback Score
    I bought one for my wife, as she liked the way it felt and was easy to conceal. But when it came time for shooting, she hated it. Long trigger and lack of sights had her all over the place. She later bought a LC9 which she loves. She wanted to dump the LCP, but like many of you when I started playing with it I kind of liked it. I added a Crimson trace laser to it, and for tossing in a pocket for quick runs to the grocery store its great.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have an original LCP bought when they first came out (2008 I think?) - it went back for the recall and I received a free magazine for my trouble.

Only had 1 malfunction with it (failure to go into battery) while wringing it out after the recall - about 200+ rounds into a 300 round torture test. The gun was hot, dry, tired, and my hand was sore. It's never done it again in maybe 1500-ish rounds.

It rusted like a SOB after carrying it in the mid-Atlantic heat moving a friend in the summer - had the slide refinished along with all the metal parts and it's never given me trouble since.

It's not a gun I like carrying but it's a great BUG in the offhand pocket or gun you carry when you can't break concealment at all and need to dress a certain way. Honestly in the last couple years I've maybe carried it 1-2 a year (weddings, funerals, etc) but shoot it 1-2 times a year regardless.

So for me its a niche' weapon but having beat on it for years, it's really done everything I've asked it to.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 06-26-18 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had an original LCP. No issues with it from the first round and it only serves a very niche role for me, as well. The trigger sucked and the sights were worthless beyond 10-12, but I wasn't expecting anything more. I now have an LCP II that I've only put may 75 rounds through and its hung up several times. Might be mag related, but I haven't had time to shoot it again. The trigger on the LCP II is an improvement.

Feedback Score
    I got to shoot mine yesterday. I shot nine magazine fulls with ball ammo and two different flavors of hollow point (including Federal Hydra Shocks).

I DID NOT HAVE ONE MALFUNCTION OF ANY KIND.

Maybe 60 some-odd rounds isn't considered "vetted", but it's interesting to note that the only Glock 42 I've ever fired could not get through two full magazines of ANY type of ammo without a malfunction.

My verdict: JEWEL.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have owned 2 of them. Both second gen guns, both blued. Both functioned flawless and I liked them alot. However both of them after relatively low round counts had pins that would walk out. Sometimes from shooting, sometimes just while in a pocket. Combine that with nearly constant rust issues (during the summer) sometimes even after an hour or 2 or carry. Needless to say, I no longer own one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
    I have owned 2 of them. Both second gen guns, both blued. Both functioned flawless and I liked them alot. However both of them after relatively low round counts had pins that would walk out. Sometimes from shooting, sometimes just while in a pocket. Combine that with nearly constant rust issues (during the summer) sometimes even after an hour or 2 or carry. Needless to say, I no longer own one.
    What are you calling "relatively low round counts?" I don't think very many people look at an LCP as a gun capable of surviving five or six thousand rounds.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    What are you calling "relatively low round counts?" I don't think very many people look at an LCP as a gun capable of surviving five or six thousand rounds.
    Its been a few years at this point, but between 300-500 rounds. It wasn't something I shot very often.

Feedback Score
    I have owned one for a couple years and like it. It has never given my a problem, although I only have around 600 rounds through it. I was surprised at how accurate it is considered it's size and tiny sights. Like others have said, it is a great carry piece for when I can't carry my G19 for whatever reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They're good little guns. Reliable if you get a good one, and from the sound of it you got a great deal with the mags and ammo.

I've had one before and it was great for deep concealment or pocket carry.

Feedback Score
    Mine has been completely reliable through the couple hundred rounds I’ve shot and more accurate than I expected. I only carry it as a backup but I trust it. It’s an original model from about two years after introduction.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast