Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ive been living under a rock NF ATACR or NXS ??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I have both and the illumination seems to be identical.

The NX8 gives you smaller diameter and length, and lighter weight. I think the reticle is also better since it's uncluttered. At 1x the image has noticeable fisheye.

The ATACR has a much more forgiving eye box and at 1x the image is distortion free. The glass is noticeably better. The reticle has wind holds if you like that.

I look at it like this: if you're an optic snob like me, get the ATACR. If it's going on a 7.62 gun, get the ATACR. If you want the best 1x performance, get the ATACR (or consider a Razor E 1-6 or Kahles K16i).

The NX8 is akin to the NXS 2.5-10x24. It has an amazing amount of capability in a tiny scope, with a few drawbacks. You'll have to decide if you can live with those.

Noticeable fisheye on a $1700 scope? That doesn't exactly sound like a selling point for a scope I was looking at heavily lol.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have literally been living under a NF rock because I had no idea there were two 1-8 NF scopes. And I drink NF Koolaid. So why is the ATACR so much more expensive??

PB
    Pappabear, I posted my initial impressions of the ATACR in the dedicated NF 1-8x thread in this subforum. BLUF it's a solid LPVO and has so far met all my expectations in terms of performance and capability. Performed very well engaging targets at varying ranges high up in the mountains, and I ran it in a match over the weekend. My performance was lackluster, but the optic did it's job.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Boba, thanks for your input. Ill check out your post.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have both and the illumination seems to be identical.

The NX8 gives you smaller diameter and length, and lighter weight. I think the reticle is also better since it's uncluttered. At 1x the image has noticeable fisheye.

The ATACR has a much more forgiving eye box and at 1x the image is distortion free. The glass is noticeably better. The reticle has wind holds if you like that.

I look at it like this: if you're an optic snob like me, get the ATACR. If it's going on a 7.62 gun, get the ATACR. If you want the best 1x performance, get the ATACR (or consider a Razor E 1-6 or Kahles K16i).

The NX8 is akin to the NXS 2.5-10x24. It has an amazing amount of capability in a tiny scope, with a few drawbacks. You'll have to decide if you can live with those.
    I think the NF ATACR is in a class by itself. Much further ahead of the Razor or K16i. It is true two eye opens shooting. It is like having a great Aimpoint Red Dot that you can dial into 8x. The Steiner and Schmidt & Bender when released, will likely be as good, or better, but today, you cannot touch the ATACR. Plus the other two scopes, while respectable, are 1-6x.

I also admire the NX8. This is not an NXS. It is a great 1-8x riflescope. It just does not have the forgiving eyebox and two eyes open point and shoot capability that the ATACR has.

I give NF a little more credit than does @slippers.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post

I give NF a little more credit than does @slippers.
    This is a silly statement to make about someone you don't know, especially after I just said to buy the atacr three different times in one post. I happen to own all of the mentioned variable magnification scopes. This picture should say a lot about my faith in NF:

The nx8 is not perfect, but people that know me on this forum know I don't sugercoat anything, including my own products. The worst thing is to read about a new product on a forum, only to receive it and find it's not what you expect.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I appreciate all the perspectives, goods and bads.

It helps make an informed decision when you don't have access to either before purchasing.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ive got the NX8 and a K16i (SM1 reticle) to compare it to.

Glass, FOV, “flatness” of sight picture, and eyebox are all better on the K16i than the NX8

That said, I’ll be keeping the NX8 and selling off the K16i. For an AR15 platform, the form factor of the NX8 really can’t be beat IMO. Glass is still good, FOV and eyebox are acceptable, and I happen to like the reticle more in the NX8. Both are daylight bright (though NX8 > K16i) but I can pick up the NX8 reticle faster without illumination on, which is one of my primary considerations when picking a LPVO.

Only question I have for those who have the NX8 is have you tried eliminating the slight fisheye effect by adjusting the diopter? I’ve played with it a little, and I still have a slight fisheye, but after a few seconds looking through it and mounting the gun, I don’t notice it...which is why I haven’t played with the diopter further.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 06-27-18 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    Noticeable fisheye on a $1700 scope? That doesn't exactly sound like a selling point for a scope I was looking at heavily lol.
    There has to be something to give in a lightweight, compact package. It can't keep all the benefits or everyone would be making 17oz, 8" optically perfect 1-8s...
    Last edited by jstalford; 06-27-18 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is a silly statement to make about someone you don't know, especially after I just said to buy the atacr three different times in one post. I happen to own all of the mentioned variable magnification scopes. This picture should say a lot about my faith in NF:

The nx8 is not perfect, but people that know me on this forum know I don't sugercoat anything, including my own products. The worst thing is to read about a new product on a forum, only to receive it and find it's not what you expect.
    No, I am just saying, that my view of the Nightforce scopes is higher than indicated in your post. I would not compare the ATACR to Vortex. That is my opinion.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    No, I am just saying, that my view of the Nightforce scopes is higher than indicated in your post. I would not compare the ATACR to Vortex. That is my opinion.
    Just to be clear, the following are my opinions:

When you talk about 1x performance, it's hard to avoid comparing any low power variable to the Razor 1-6. Razor glass is very good, to my eyes nearly on the level of ATACR glass. The 1x image is excellent, with a wide field of view, low distortion and chromatic aberration, plus great illumination. Sure, it's heavier, and that's the trade-off. The Kahles K16i is of a similar vein, but weighs even less than the razor and has both superior field of view and reticle (in my opinion), with a hair less brightness on the illumination.

If you place 90% or more of your "value" on 1x performance, then the NX8 and ATACR 1-8 are not necessarily your best choices. There's no reason to pay the price for the ATACR or compromise on the NX8 if you rarely make use of 6-8x magnification. The K16i weighs the same as the NX8 and to me is optically superior across the entire magnification range where they overlap. The only downside is the longer scope length, yet I still don't feel like my K16i gets in the way because it's a couple inches longer than an NX8. And frankly, despite my NF love, I hate their diopter adjustment. Quick adjust diopters like the K16i and Razor have are my preference.

Every scope has a compromise of some sort. Some less than others. The ATACR is an awesome all-around performer and you can't go wrong with it.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast