Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pistol shooting posture

Feedback Score
    Does anyone suspect if stance / behavior is different when the situation is defensive vs offensive?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Does anyone suspect if stance / behavior is different when the situation is defensive vs offensive?
    Yep!

Every sport, art, whatever has fundamentals. Best practices. But in performance you are constantly compensating for that less than ideal situation that is known as real life.

practice, practice, practice, ... perform. Other than something like Bullseye how could you ever know what your stance will be.

I believe great shooters simply constantly compensate off what they know to be their personal ideal basis and the physics of the weapon manipulation as it relates to their body/abilty.

How do you swing a baseball bat?
    What is the correct posture at a piano?
    What's the correct way to get pulled up on a water ski?
    How do you correctly hold drum sticks?

There are answers to all those questions... but.... everyone does it just a little bit differently and sometimes a lot differently.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

I believe you will see the difference between defensive/offensive vs competitive.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My initial training was a very aggressive isoceles stance. I was able to control recoil very well and moved my upper body like the turret of a tank. Did this for years.

Was shooting with a USPSA Grandmaster and he asked me why I shot that way. I told him and he challenged me to try it his way.

I got 3 runs for each style on a course that included movement and multiple targets in different directions. I walked the course a few times, then we started recording times for each style back and forth.

My times were faster for all 3 runs shooting with the gun up to my face over the hunched/aggressive style. I think I was able to see/move better when I wasn't moving in & out of the rigid aggressive isoceles position.

He explained that the "heads up" position allows for greater peripheral vision and overall awareness whereas the aggressive isoceles promotes tunnel vision "3rd eye" and is too tense overall which slows people down.

And he laughed at the concept that so much upper body weight and rigid skeletal was needed for 9mm. (It was a pretty funny moment)

I realized that the greater situational awareness/peripheral vision improvement alone was worth switching over.

I train with my gun coming up to my eyes, with a slight forward tilt of the head now as that works better for ME.

Run and try everything that doesn't create an unsafe situation... and see what works for you.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 07-20-18 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    You guys may find this video from Aaron Barruga of Guerrilla Approach pertinent to this discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtEcdL23Mw

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345