Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol shooting posture

Feedback Score

Pistol shooting posture

At a recent informal steel shoot, i ran the same course if fire a few times.
    The runs that i hunched in a little and brought my head down slightly (like an inch) provided better accuracy/followups and much better times.

I dont know if its because my arms are more in line resulting in better recoil control, or if ive just been doing it so long im more consistent right now. Its not enough hunch to cause fatigue after an hour of practice, so its not major.

So my question for the experts (id say A class uspsa or better) is:
    Is there enough gain to be had to start forcing myself to keep my head straight up, or if it works for me, just stick with it?

Edit, this is what my “hunch” looks like:
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-26-18 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    By any chance do you have a side photo showing feet to head?

Extending the neck forward of the shoulders to slightly lower the head while keeping the head erect in relationship to the target is fairly natural if you are semi-focused on keeping your head erect to avoid eye-fatigue - a cheat on the old 'bring the gun to the eye, dont bring the eye to the gun' thing.

It also allows you to thrust your shoulders forward a little more comfortably which you seem to be doing.

I'm just a lowly firearms instructor, though.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd like to see a side view as well. From the pic it looks like(could be wrong)you're hips, legs, and feet aren't quite in the "fighting stance." As far as your slight hunch; don't see a huge problem. You just want to make sure that hunch is as little as possible. Don't want to slowly creep to a bad position. I've seen plenty of BTDT's that could flat out shoot and several had a slight hunch.

Feedback Score
    No side view at this time. Stance depends on situation.
    The steel shoot i mentioned had no movement, and i set my feet to be slightly offset shoulder width apart and rotate hips to aquire each target (major adjustment) and twist at the waist for minor adjustment.

If im moving, i get a much more agressive stance (boxer footing), and for long strings of fire i put more weight in the front foot. I dont seem to have any issue being pushed around by the gun, so i feel comfortable with all that ( but open to ideas/advice).

Thanks for the feedback so far on the slight hunch. Im not looking at my eyebrows so i guess thats a good sign.

Only other angle i have. Ill try to get more this weekend.

Last edited by MegademiC; 06-26-18 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    At a recent informal steel shoot, i ran the same course if fire a few times.
    The runs that i hunched in a little and brought my head down slightly (like an inch) provided better accuracy/followups and much better times.

I dont know if its because my arms are more in line resulting in better recoil control, or if ive just been doing it so long im more consistent right now. Its not enough hunch to cause fatigue after an hour of practice, so its not major.

So my question for the experts (id say A class uspsa or better) is:
    Is there enough gain to be had to start forcing myself to keep my head straight up, or if it works for me, just stick with it?

Edit, this is what my “hunch” looks like:
    In the real world, you won't have the luxury to get that "just right" posture. Focus on sight alignment, grip and trigger press. Everything else is bullshit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRSTNG View Post
    In the real world, you won't have the luxury to get that "just right" posture. Focus on sight alignment, grip and trigger press. Everything else is bullshit.
    Well, damn, guess I've wasted my time as well as a lot of other folks' doing drills on mock up stairs, around cars and so on. All bullshit, dayum.

Flavius was full of it, correct? Their exercises are unbloody battles, and their battles bloody exercises. Translation: Train like you fight and you will fight like you train.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRSTNG View Post
    You tell 'em, Reverend Paul McCain! After all, you are the expert on bullshit, correct?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Well, damn, guess I've wasted my time as well as a lot of other folks' doing drills on mock up stairs, around cars and so on. All bullshit, dayum.

Flavius was full of it, correct? Their exercises are unbloody battles, and their battles bloody exercises. Translation: Train like you fight and you will fight like you train.
    Yeah, what did those old Roman dudes know? All they did was create the most efficient army of their time and conquer the known world. Bah.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You tell 'em, Reverend Paul McCain! After all, you are the expert on bullshit, correct?
    He never fails to bring the comedic relief.

...“In the real world”.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would say, if it works, it works. I just took a course from an extremely credible instructor that kinda echoed the sentiment from above. Draw, Grip, sight alignment, and trigger control are king. I kinda agree. Does that mean experimenting shooting behind cover/concealment, on stairs, from a vehicle is wrong? No. But if your grip is ****ed up it might not matter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast