Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pistol shooting posture

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Here ya go.

Every really good shooter I have ever seen looks like they are just standing there pretty much the same as if they were talking to you.. aside from their out stretched arms, which basically look like they are using both hands to take a cigar out of your mouth, for lack of a better description. If you get a copy of Bruce Lee's Toa of Jeet Kune Do you will not read very far before he stresses to only use the muscles necessary for the action you are performing. Which is pretty much what it looks like all the best shooters do when I watch them shoot. Not sure what that's worth to you. Just my observation. Relax if you can.

Thanks. Ive noticed that too. I hunch more than they do, in your opinion, do you think its worth addressing? I feel i shoot better hunched, but I wonder if its because Im deficient somewhere else.
    Any insight?

As for stance, does anyone really think weaver is going to produce better results?
    I dont wear a vest, so I use what the most efficient stance is.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    and finally... from 0:15 to 0:21 --- that is the most important part of any stance you will ever use.

Don't read the title of this video. Just accept the very simple thing he is saying. All the great shooters can hold the gun still and pull the trigger. How simple is that.... In concept very simple. In practice I have no idea because I still can't do it.

So you might ask yourself. What stance will allow me to hold the gun still so that I hit my target. That's the stance you want to use. Regardless of it's name.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So my question for the experts (id say A class uspsa or better) is:
    Oops.... Ignore my posts. I missed that key point. I'm more akin to the class clown.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thanks.
    Any insight?
    I am just an average person. You could probably out shoot me with a blindfold on. I pay attention to what pros do and say though.

but yes... you said the tension was no big deal for an hour. Tiger Woods changed his golf swing. I doubt when he did that he felt comfortable right out of the gate.

You are basically telling us you think something is wrong. My insight tells me that your brain enjoys winning in the hunched position, but is conflicted with the possibility of it being a 'short term posture'. So if you had to shoot for 5 hours lets say would you fall apart. I don't see how you could possibly overcome that except through strength and relaxation. Even if you see an initial decline doing it on your own. There are probably instructors that could minimize that transition.

It's hard to look at a static photo of someone and say ok that's tense. But your asking and describing your comfort zone and placing time limits on your ability. That suggests to me you feel like you are at some sort of plateau and need an instructor to get you to the next level.That's not me for sure. All I know is every one of them I've ever come in contact with is either intense with purpose or relaxed by nature. How the hell they do it I do not know. The fact you are concerned or feeling something else can be done tells me you are right. It might be more mental than geometric at this point.

ETA: Tiger woods changed his swing and kept winning. His wife changed his swing and he lost it. Have you ever read any of the "inner game of... books?" They deal with the mental aspect of performance. You don't have to understand the topic fully to gain something from them. That address things you might be thinking about in your performance and didn't realize it.

Like for instance you said you were shooting steel. Have you ever found yourself contemplating what your trigger finger just did when there were more targets to be cleared? Performance time is not reflective time. You should be contemplating what you will do next as you are doing something. You can't change the done. You can't stop the doing. You do the next thing. So if you are thinking about your body mechanics in the moment maybe it's not performance focused. ... and if you are being shot at even more so. Perform. Count the chips when the dust settles.
    Last edited by tb-av; 06-30-18 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    01:50 -:2:05 -- listen

Last edited by tb-av; 07-01-18 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Notice that at the end of this vid Todd has no concern that this guy is standing straight up like a pole.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So you have your Weaver, Turtle, Pole, Zero, ...

You have to do your thing. There is this concept known as graduation. You simply need to experiment. Why don't you shoot an entire match left handed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Questions I have asked students to ask themselves while experimenting with subtle changes in their shooting positions.

1) Do I have stability?
    2) Do I have mobility?
    3) Am I making maximum use of my visual window with my head position?
    4) Is my shooting position efficient? Does it require the least amount of physical effort to maintain?
    Last edited by T2C; 07-04-18 at 06:29.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I think there is a little too much emphasis on using the isosceles technique. If your tactics rely on using soft body armor to stop an incoming round you have already lost the fight.
    I get what you are saying about tactics, but why not take advantage/maximize what most officers bring with them?

No one technique is going to be perfect for every shooter. Under stress, the normal shooter (vs. the highly trained pro) gravitates toward a general Isosceles. The fact is that the Weaver diehards I've taken note of during FonF don't stay in their hard Weaver when sim rounds are flying.

Most folks that have done enough FonF to form opinions will tell you that their hands get beat up because rounds are punching into them - same phenomenon seen on photo targets with firearms - most folks focus on the threat, which in this case is the firearm, and the rounds cluster there. All the more reason to have vest coverage in the area.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    But has anyone ever looked at shootings to see if Isosceles is more survivable? For example, in X police shootings, y% were shot while using Isosceles, and z% survived. As opposed to i% were using Weaver (or something else), and j% survived.
    I have no knowledge of anyone gathering that data. UCR doesn't list stance used anyplace in the LEOKA.

ETA: Looking at stance taught by agency/academy is probably not going to bring useful data, anecdotal video evidence seems to indicate a generalized Isosceles response, sometimes one-handed.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-01-18 at 15:21.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast