Thread: M&P 2.0 Broken Firing Pin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

M&P 2.0 Broken Firing Pin

My M&P 2.0 compact 9mm firing pin broke completely off on me yesterday at the range. This pistol has exactly 400 rounds through it, a mix of Speer Lawman 124 gr and Federal HST 124 gr, all standard pressure. I have dry fired this pistol to get a feel for the trigger with and without a snap cap but nothing excessive. I contacted S&W and they’re sending a replacement striker assembly. This really shakes my confidence in the M&P line. I have literally seen and fired thousands of rounds through both the Beretta M9/92 series and Glocks of all calibers and never had a firing pin break. For me personally the M&P 2.0 pistols are the most ergonomic striker fired polymer pistol out there but if the durability isn’t there then it means nothing. I just wanted to put this out there for you guys carrying or using these pistols for home defense, something to keep an eye on.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Not the first time I have heard someone break one. It's not a super common issue, but it has been happening here and there. Glad S&W took care of you.

Ever heard of the many broken locking block on the Beretta 92 series?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    One flawed firing pin assembly, anything man made could break. Don't sweat it, install the replacement and drive on.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never seen a broken one personally but I've heard of the locking block issues with the M9, they've been redesigned by Beretta and are swapped out at scheduled round count intervals to avoid issues. I have seen a Glock 23 with a locking block broken in two pieces though, and despite that it was still functioning.

Feedback Score
    This is why we test carry guns, generally weak links show themselves quickly

It can happen to any gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    You need a replacement, can you put it back properly?
    Smith is sending a replacement, and I can swap it out no problem

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    M&P strikers use to break quite regularly when the pistol first came out. After at least 3 different redesigns they got the design fixed. I haven’t seen a posting on a M&P with a broken striker in years. As said above anything man made can and will break. OP I’ve seen parts break on the Berretta and Glocks also. I wouldn’t give it another thought after replacing the striker. David

Feedback Score
    What portion of the firing pin broke? Tip?
    Last edited by gunnut284; 06-28-18 at 04:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    What portion of the firing pin broke? Tip?
    Yes the tip broke completely off. Really wish someone would come out with a better striker assembly for the M&P line.

Feedback Score
    it can happen especially with mim parts, which i somewhat hate for certain things. i wish those manufacturers would not use mim for striker rods