Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR Thoughts (Caliber, config, can, etc).

Feedback Score

Suppressed SBR Thoughts (Caliber, config, can, etc).

As the title implies, I'd appreciate some advice, speculation, and other ideas about a suppressed SBR or perhaps integrally suppressed rifle (16" OAL pipe)

Before you start, be aware that I'm a lifelong shooter and reloader, and am well versed in the fundamentals of SBR/Suppressors, so I don't need lectures/advice/rants on the exterior ballistics, performance, legality, etc. I'm more interested in what the current "state of the art" options that are available. I don't have a finger on the pulse so to speak...

My wishes are as follows (in order of importance)...

1) Ultra reliable, home defense worthy, bet your life on it. (Mostly a toy, but since it's hard to travel with anyway, it would be my wife's bedside gun when I'm away)

2) Relatively handy and light weight enough for a short armed woman (see above) to shoot.

3) Quiet as possible (ideally hearing safe indoors as per above). Willing to put up with extra weight/length to get a quiet can.

My thoughts/questions (no particular order)...

1) 45 ACP? Seems kinda stupid to spend the cash on other calibers when the good ol' 45 can plunk a subsonic round with the best of them for 15 pennies a shot. I do reload though, so I'd consider other options, but my research indicates the next best thing is 300 BLK, and that's gonna run double or triple the cost per round even with reloads.

2) Related to the above, is the versatility of the 300 BLK worth the cost? I already have more than one "sweet" version of all the categories (AR15s, brush guns, hunting rifles, truck guns, etc) so it's not like I really need something to "do everything". Any 300 BLK tricks I'm not thinking of?

3) Integrally suppressed? 16" is plenty handy for my purposes, and would save me $200 and paperwork on the extra stamp. On the other hand, I have a few threaded barrels in my collection. Are there any good "all around" cans to consider that would be worth the extra $200 to be able to stick on a 22LR, 9mm, 300 win mag, 556, or 308? I know that one can won't "silence" everything, but is there a can with the versatility to perform adequately on just about anything?

The bottom line...

Any specific recommendations for equipment that meets the above criteria? Any fun/cool/useful stuff that I may not have seen?
    Last edited by entoptics; 06-28-18 at 02:21.

Feedback Score
    My opinion, go with a 11.5” 556 and a decent can, perm it on if you want/need to, but not ideal.
    The ballistics trade-off isnt worth meeting OSHA standards for HD. It will be much quiter than without, and much “hearing safer” (haha).

If you must go subsonic, 300blk would be prefered from a terminal standpoint, the right rounds offer good ballistics in subs.

If you go pistol round, id look at an evo or similar sub-gun style sbr in 9mm with 147hst/gold dot/ etc. practice ammo is cheap.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Juice isn’t worth the squeeze for all your permutations.

Just SBR a 556 or 300BLK and atttached a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Fwiw, I can't get my 9mm SBR to run right. It is running better than it ever has before after putting in a springco extra power (blue I think) in it, but it still has double feeds about every other mag. It is a range toy.

If I had a HD rifle and that is all it ever was going to be, 11.5" upper with a k-sized 5.56 suppressor. It takes the edge off but won't be hanging 1+ pounds of metal off the end, just almost 1 pound of metal. Get one of those gas block port thingies and only run the can on the rifle so you don't have to monkey with adjustable gas blocks and carriers.

I run 75gr H TAP in all my SD mags, but I wouldn't hesitate to use 55gr blaster loads either. It's cheap and I have stacks and stacks of the stuff. Train like you fight and all of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by entoptics View Post
    3) Quiet as possible (ideally hearing safe indoors as per above). Willing to put up with extra weight/length to get a quiet can.
    There simply is no hearing safe with a 5.56 inside a home. It's loud. But only about like shooting a 9mm pistol in the open. IMO, people put WAY too much importance on quiet.

If it were me, I'd do a Mini can. The weight savings and reduced port snap make it ideal. The super sonic crack, bullet impact, and can noise are going to be there no matter which can you get.

If quiet is paramount, 300 USELESS is your caliber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    With what you want out of your SBR, I'd say either a 9mm or 45acp would be your best trade-offs. With that being said, there is no perfect caliber and it all comes down to personal preference and what you are most comfortable with.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    10.3 inches and over, 5.56, under 10.3 inches, 300 blackout first, other pistol calibers second. If ammo cost is a concern, then 300 blackout may not be for you . For a 9 inch and under lightweight PDQ type weapon, 300 blackout first overall, other pistol calibers second, IMHO.
    Last edited by Biggy; 07-03-18 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My solutions :
    Last edited by ARx3; 08-13-19 at 00:38.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’m in a similar position as you
    I’m leaning towards a 300blk pistol with a can
    Very quiet with suppressor
    Very compact as barrel length can be shorter than 556 and still be compatible with most suppressor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Buy a Zenith MP5 clone and get a quality 9mm can. Or buy the Sig MPX.

For an AR, get Sionics 11.5 RGP barrel and build a SBR, instal A5 buffer and maybe LMT enhanced carrier.

Lotta good cans, that's a whole nuther can of mators.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast