Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.5-10 magnification, or close to it. What do you pick?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

2.5-10 magnification, or close to it. What do you pick?

I am looking for a scope in that magnification range. It will sit on top of a SCAR 17. I want a little more than 8X magnification. What would you choose. Budget is around $2k max.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm - a little older but an awesome optic right in your budget.

Last edited by themonk; 06-29-18 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If you want to go lighter weight (given the SCARs lightweight) but probably not as durable, leupold makes the VX-6HD 2-12x42 that's only 16oz.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    NXS 2.5-10x24/32/42. The 42mm model has adjustable parallax if you’re going to be doing more long range precision work.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Just FYI on optic quality, I've had high-end 8x's match the capabilities of decent 10x's and sub-par 12x's. So thinking you'll go lower quality but with higher mag won't net you much in the long run. 8x in the right package gets me out to 800m with my spr just fine.

Regarding Nightforces and the 2.5-10's...
    The x24 is very restricting with poor transmission, but dang if it ain't small
    The x32 not even sure if you can still get these...not much point when you can go x42 and get more
    The x42 is a neat little optic, and runs like a big scope but is under 21 oz. Liked mine a lot, but got more out of a 1-8x FFP.

I've watched too many Vortex PST's crap out and not track in classes to recommend any Vortex that doesn't have "Razor HD II" in it's name...and even then I'm not a huge fan.

The problem is this niche' of 30mm tube 20-23oz top end 10-12ishx42mm (or less) optics is lacking for decent tactical style optics. Most companies step up the tube size and objective and you're up to a full-power precision optic that weighs an ounce or so under 2 pounds. I wish they'd try and crack that nut rather than the other boundaries they're constantly pushing

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have the NF 2.5-10x24 on my SBR'ed 13" SCAR 17. One of the 'limited release' MOAR models from a couple of years ago.

It's a great scope as long as you understand what it's strengths are (small size, NF bomb proof construction / tracking) and weaknesses (light transmission, FOV / eyebox at high power).

For me with the SCARs higher top rail, I see 20-ish oz. as being the heaviest optic I want, or it seems to get a bad case of the leans with the high CG when doing lateral transitions.

With all that beings said, I'm tempted to move my NF 2.5-10x24 to an 5.56 AR SPR rifle and get a NF 1-8x for the SCAR 17.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 06-29-18 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Just FYI on optic quality, I've had high-end 8x's match the capabilities of decent 10x's and sub-par 12x's. So thinking you'll go lower quality but with higher mag won't net you much in the long run. 8x in the right package gets me out to 800m with my spr just fine.

Regarding Nightforces and the 2.5-10's...
    The x24 is very restricting with poor transmission, but dang if it ain't small
    The x32 not even sure if you can still get these...not much point when you can go x42 and get more
    The x42 is a neat little optic, and runs like a big scope but is under 21 oz. Liked mine a lot, but got more out of a 1-8x FFP.

I've watched too many Vortex PST's crap out and not track in classes to recommend any Vortex that doesn't have "Razor HD II" in it's name...and even then I'm not a huge fan.

The problem is this niche' of 30mm tube 20-23oz top end 10-12ishx42mm (or less) optics is lacking for decent tactical style optics. Most companies step up the tube size and objective and you're up to a full-power precision optic that weighs an ounce or so under 2 pounds. I wish they'd try and crack that nut rather than the other boundaries they're constantly pushing
    There is SO much yes in this post! You literally wrote my exact thoughts on the matter here.
    I completely agree with the take on fantastic 1-8’s that outdo mid tier 10X’s. It’s been said before, but quality in glass far outdoes quantity of X’s. I would walk over a handful of Vortex Viper 2.5-10’s to get my ATACR 1-8, and, I’ve had two of the Vortex 2.5-10’s. One FFP and one SFP. I think the NF 2.5-10 is sorta dated now, but for its size, weight, and role, it’s still hard to beat I think.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For me the NF scopes fail in that they have a really small ocular lens compared to others in the same market space. This leads to the image through the scope looking small.

Comparing my two most recently purchased scopes, the 2.5-10x24 NXS and the Swaro Z8i, the Z8i is many times over a better scope than the NXS. It feels much more advanced in its design and losses nothing to the NF's 10 power to its 8 power.

Both the Z8i and baby NXS are similar in weight. With a Larue mount and a offset RMR built into one of the ring mounts the NXS weighs 26.1oz. With Z8i with just the Larue mount 25.1oz.

I also don't get FFP in this power range, but I suppose that's another conversation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I will echo the thoughts of others. I think NF owns this space (2-12x) +/-. I might go to Steiner or Hensoldt at 4-16x, or even Leupold Mark 5/6 at 3-18x.

2.5-10x24mm and 42mm, either are good choices, but for different reasons. Love the small footprint of the NXS 24mm, and if you keep a good cheek weld, it has the eyebox you need. 42mm is more foregiving, but heavier. I also would look at the NX8 1-8x. Although you say you want more than 8x, you might be surprised what a true 1x to 8x can deliver, and the NX8 is very lightweight.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If size and weight are important, it will be hard to beat the NF NXS option. But my personal experience with it left me unimpressed for the optical quality, the illumination quality, and ease of use of the "Digillum" button.

Trading improvements in those for more size and weight, the EOTech Vudu is a direct competitor worth looking at:
    http://www.eotechinc.com/precision-r...on-rifle-scope

If you wanted slightly higher magnification, I would look at the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44, which has illumination optional. To my eyes both of these are optically better than the NXS. They are not as combat proven but the Bushnell at least has an excellent quality and durability reputation. The Vudu seems too new to have much reputation, but I think they are aiming for the same market and despite the holographic sight issues they have some experience with making products for hard use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast