Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.5-10 magnification, or close to it. What do you pick?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    If size and weight are important, it will be hard to beat the NF NXS option. But my personal experience with it left me unimpressed for the optical quality, the illumination quality, and ease of use of the "Digillum" button.

Trading improvements in those for more size and weight, the EOTech Vudu is a direct competitor worth looking at:

If you wanted slightly higher magnification, I would look at the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44, which has illumination optional. To my eyes both of these are optically better than the NXS.
    The thing about optics, is that you almost need to toss the spec sheet out the window and try it on, like a pair of nice shoes. Personal look and feel and emotional attachment are all there with optics, and your eyes see differently than the next guy. I have no experience with the Vudu, but do with the Bushnell. Personally, I would never put Bushnell and Nightforce in the same league. Now, NXS is a step-down from NX8 and certainly from ATACR, but NXS is a pretty strong performing scope. I like the Bushnell scope you mention, and have used it. I think it is a fine scope, just not an NXS.

You notice how the smart ass always has a "but" in the reply. <- (me)

Stay safe, @SomeOtherGuy
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    The thing about optics, is that you almost need to toss the spec sheet out the window and try it on, like a pair of nice shoes. Personal look and feel and emotional attachment are all there with optics, and your eyes see differently than the next guy.
    Yeah, I can see this. For whatever reason the various NXS models (I've owned several) just don't look good for my eyes, even when used in a fixed, rested position and looking at various distances from close up out to a mile. Same experience with Vortex Razor. My eyes like Bushnell Elite, Steiner, Leupold Mark 4/6 and Sightron SIII. But other people love NF.

Anyone looking for quality optics should try to try them out at realistic distances, under realistic lighting conditions, before buying. Unfortunately there are very few dealers where you could do this. Trying something out indoors, with bad lighting and a max of 100 yards (in a Cabela's) is not a good test. For me, my only ways to try scopes out have been (1) buying what I expect to be good and selling or returning it if it didn't meet expectations, and (2) on rare occasions, trying out competitor's scopes at F-class competition, but even with friendly competitors there have been few occasions, and not wanting to mess up all their adjustments I don't know if the scope is properly adjusted to be ideal for my eyes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another vote for the 2.5-10x42 Nightforce if the 2.5-10 is the power range you are looking for. Absolutely love mine.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve used Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 on a couple ARs. 42mm objective, weight is 20 oz from memory.
    I use the Mil model which has Mil adjustments.
    Glass is good, center illuminated dot is tiny which allows for precision, but would be a poor reticle for CQB scenario.
    The Mil reticle and adjustment jibes with my precision bolt guns and AR10, making ballistic data a little simpler.
    This scope works for me on a couple SBRish 5.56’s. I prefer different optics on AR10 and bolt guns.
    The price, performance, weight and size make it a consideration for a lighter weight 5.56.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’ve used Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5 on a couple ARs. 42mm objective, weight is 20 oz from memory.
    I use the Mil model which has Mil adjustments.
    Glass is good, center illuminated dot is tiny which allows for precision, but would be a poor reticle for CQB scenario.
    The Mil reticle and adjustment jibes with my precision bolt guns and AR10, making ballistic data a little simpler.
    This scope works for me on a couple SBRish 5.56’s. I prefer different optics on AR10 and bolt guns.
    The price, performance, weight and size make it a consideration for a lighter weight 5.56.
    Not trying to derail the thread but... What scope that won't dial down to zero magnification be remotely adequate for CQB?? IMO if a variable scope doesn't dial to zero it has little value to me on a fighting rifle that has to do everything or you are dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ummm Acog ?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Not trying to derail the thread but... What scope that won't dial down to zero magnification be remotely adequate for CQB?? IMO if a variable scope doesn't dial to zero it has little value to me on a fighting rifle that has to do everything or you are dead.
    It's a completely different use case. If needed in a CQB scenario 2x is not really an issue. As Pnorris states, the ACOG has been used for years like that. It just boils down to training.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I'm in the 1-8 camp here. The CQBSS and Minox ZP8 would be my choices. Plenty capable to 700. The Minox other then super bright illumination takes it for me. But as others mentioned, have to test drive it to see what I'm talking about.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My honest feeling is, unless you really really need more than 4x, it is very hard to beat an acog. The size and weight are hard to ignore.

But I guess that is a different discussion

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Kevin B at Q went on an on about the new Eotech Vudu 5-25 last week on instagram. They have a 2.5-10 as well.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast