View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Ruger LCP or Smith J-frame?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

3 12.00%
  • Smith & Wesson J-Frame

22 88.00%
  • I don't have a preference

0 0%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Smith J-Frame: Pros & Cons?

Feedback Score
    I looked both of these over when looking for my first ccw. I opted for the S&W 642 because it fit my hand the best. I also found one that did not have the screw to lock it, so that was an added bonus. This is coming from a huge Ruger guy also. A good friend has the Ruger, which someday I may get anyways. The Smith shoots pretty well, just a tad to the left, but that could be me.

Feedback Score
    "I came across a Hogue version I didn't even know existed. Anyone have experience with them? I wonder how they rate compared to CT".

https://www.hogueinc.com/legrips/jframe

I have 3 airweight 637-2 J-frames and three of these grips. They are a bit large, but can still be pocket carried. My brother and wife were not strong enough to activate the awkwardly positioned laser button. I have extremely strong hands and could, but it was quite painful where the flexor tendon for my second finger crosses my wrist. I fixed that by building up the area in front of the activation button with a flexible "bar" made of Plasti-dip. The built up button adheres well, blends well enough that it isn't noticeable as an add-on, looks reasonably stock, and makes the grip fairly comfortable and usable. When all was said and done, I only left one of the three installed. The lighting angle in the photo below was chosen to light the "button" harshly and make it stand out more than it usually does.
    As an aside, I installed titanium cylinders to reduce the weight and converted all three revolvers to 9mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JimCunn; 11-17-19 at 06:07.

Feedback Score
    Having revisited this thread, it is an apples/oranges comparo. J-gun compared to a G42/Sig P365? LCP to Diamondback to Bodyguard?
    The original choices are defense guns, but serve in very different ways.

Moon

Feedback Score
    Model 36 J-frame adequately protected my Dad for many a year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger LCP vs. Smith J-Frame: Pros & Cons?

The 9mm 642-1 and LCP are the only two in my off duty lineup...

Was going to switch the J-frame for my Glock 30S, but with my holster, I’ve had the TLR-7 get turned on periodically. Going to hold off until I get the TLR-7A (rear button version).

That being said... the 642-1 is on me now.

Feedback Score

I had a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP which was just as flat, but easily more shootable and as concealable.

The J Frame is superior, in my opinion. Particularly, since you have a heavier bullet with a hotter load.

It is thicker and to some more cumbersome. It points more naturally.

However I prefer a 357 Magnum instead of 38 +P.

I carry the following:
    S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot
    S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    BTW, I pay $1.25 each for 9mm J-frame moonclips.

Feedback Score
    Depends on your needs and intended use. For pocket carry, an auto is flatter and less likely to print. Some revolvers are better, but not likely to be an issue. I generally carry a Smith CS9 inside waistband. My usual "uniform" is a Columbia fishing shirt and jeans or shorts, depending on season. If I want a backup, or am carrying with shirt tucked in, Seecamp .380, which no one will see print.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910