View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Ruger LCP or Smith J-frame?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

3 12.00%
  • Smith & Wesson J-Frame

22 88.00%
  • I don't have a preference

0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Smith J-Frame: Pros & Cons?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Pretty much my analysis, but my 442 is way cooler than a LCP. The LCP is the cheap Ruger copy of the even more low-rent P3AT. It has the sex appeal of 1982 Ford Fiesta and similar performance. It will never shoot well, as it aspires to be better than nothing.

The 442 has been putting bad guys in the ground for 60 years. It is the gun you reach for when you sense trouble might be just around the bend. It is a pain to shoot, difficult to shoot well but invokes Greater confidence for me.
    Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my 642's. But when I stick a Ruger LCP in my chest pocket and it freaking FITS THE POCKET I have to take step back and say, "Yeah, I know it's a polymer framed 380 and not a metal-framed gun capable of shooting +P ammo, but to the extent that shot placement trumps power level I have to say that the flatter and smaller gun is the better of the two because it will get carried even in situations where that thick round cylinder on the revolver prevents viable concealment in the summer. "

Sure, maybe a Ruger LCP has only a few thousand rounds in its service life before it's a paperweight not worth fixing, but in the dark on a Saturday night when it's hot and humid enough that all you're wearing is a Hawaiian shirt with shorts and flip-flops then its advantages become real friggin' apparent.

Preferring a Ruger LCP almost makes you ashamed that you pick a polymer gun that feels like a toy over a real man's concealment pistol in the J-Frame, but once you get past that you can carry that cheapo-feeling semi-auto 380 with pride.

I'm doing that soul-searching right now. I'm convinced the 642 will outlast the Ruger by thousands of rounds, but if I have to leave the 642 in the truck because it's slightly too big to conceal in the summer, then what good is it? Maybe the Ruger elicits "I feel so cheap and dirty carrying this" feelings, but if it's there in a pinch and the 642 is in the glove box, then where did you go wrong preferring the Ruger?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you said an LCP II I might lean more towards that. The trigger on the LCP II is leaps and bounds better than the original LCP. The LCP gives you the flat pocket gun and is much easier to reload. Even with the better trigger on the LCP II I still shoot my 442 better. With 135 grain +P short barrel I would lean towards the 442 unless there was some reason the cylinder would bulge too much.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I will pick up a LCP at some point (I’ve shot shot and handled a friends) but for now I prefer my 442. Performance of the 135 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel is also a big plus for me over any .380. Granted, my J frames have custom sights and Spegel Boot Grips so those are real advantages over the LCP as well. The LCP is an interesting niche weapon, tho.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the 135gr GDSB as well but has anyone actually seen their performance? From the videos I've seen it's pretty shity

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Friends don’t let friends carry mouse guns.

The LCP is less expensive, holds more rounds and reloads quicker. The .380 is an anemic self defense round. The gun is very small and difficult for me to hold properly.

TheJ Frame is a better quality weapon, the .38 is a better self defense round. The .38 is the smallest round I’d use for self defense.

The G43 is a better choice. I chose the Shield in 9mm. The G43 was today small for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    I just had a thread about this a couple weeks ago. Long story short. Just role with whatever you feel the most comfortable with. I currently carry a glock 42 as a bug and I think I am going to add a 642 to the stable. Not because I need one but just because I want one.
    I missed my 642 and bought one a few months ago! I’m not really using it but I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a 642 Pro cut for moon clips. I shot it a lot and the trigger never did get where I liked it. Sent it to S&W and had the j frame enhancement package install and am very pleased with the results. Have run some smooth boot grips sans finger grooves for a long time but am thinking about switching over to some stag skinnies.

The only thing I have liked carrying other than a j frame was a kahr cw9. I gave it to a friend. Was an outstanding piece. I don’t like 380s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The Smith because I can flat out shoot it better than the Ruger.

I have to just shake my head when I hear of someone buying something like an LCP for girlfriend/wife because it's a "little gun". To shoot it well takes experience.

While the same can be said for the 642, I find the recoil of the revolver more comfortable.
    Last edited by Mean Bone; 06-30-18 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I vote J-frame. I can make hits on a silhouette out to 25 yards with a J-frame. Ive never been able to shoot a LCP anywhere near that well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    LCP is my rule #1 gun. Smaller than the j frame so it fits that role when the j frame is too much to conceal.
    Prefer j frame model 60 with .38 special +p or short barrel .357 mag such as critical defense .125 magnum.
    Last edited by OttoLoader; 07-08-18 at 09:23.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast